Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Health permitting, Boston's UFC 118 could include Edgar vs. Penn II, Florian vs. Maynard

Print  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
A headliner and rematch between new UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and ex-champ B.J. Penn, as well as a co-headliner between top lightweight contender Kenny Florian and Gray Maynard, are both under heavy consideration. However, the health status of a few fighters could affect the plans

The Junkie

Ad: Mixup - New by FanDuel. A casual daily fantasy sports game

Post #1   4/15/10 7:45:14PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
kinda sucks for edgar. i don't think he's going to be able to defend his title if his first fight as champ is against BJ.

Post #2   4/15/10 8:13:56PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
I would still rather see Maynard fight Edgar first, after Maynard dominated Edgar he continued with another 4 straight wins over some of the UFC's top LW talent like jim miller, huerta and nate diaz!! it's is almost inevitable that Penn will get his belt back regardless of who he fights. So, on that note I would rather see Maynard get the shot he deserved, since the UFC bypassed him and gave Edgar the nod for the title fight. So, it would be nice if they would make it up to him by giving him the shot he should have gotten in the first place, instead of having to fight again, taking a chance of losing and then finding himself another two fights or more out of contention!!

Also. Giving Maynard to Edgar would give Edgar better odds of retaining the title his first time around. However I believe the fight would go much like thie first one and Maynard would dominate. I also, believe that Penn will destroy ethier of these two guys in his next fight to get his title back.

SO WAR MAYNARD then WAR PENN

Last edited 4/15/10 9:36PM server time by supatolacyl
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/15/10 9:32:55PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,804-980
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If they want to main event with Frank Edgar, Zuffa will have to use BJ Penn. The UFC can not make numbers out of a lightweight title fight without Penn at the moment unless Florian is a bigger star than I give him credit for. Maynard deserves it more, but unless the event is free, has a second title fight, or has a legitimate dream matchup on the card, I cannot see them not using Penn.

Either way, I can not see Edgar getting through Penn, in the rematch, or Florian and I would probably pick Maynard against him.

Post #4   4/15/10 10:15:45PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,434-2,997
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yeah edgar got screwed
Should be him vs maynard
Penn vs jim miller or move up to welter face serra
Then florian vs pellegrino

I was hoping it would be double title
But with florian vs maynard as co main event
The boston card should be not as stacked as I thought

Post #5   4/15/10 11:21:02PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I LOVE IT!!!

Sucks for Edgar but IMO Penn deserves it, just like Shogun got a rematch in that nail biter. Penn landed the more effective shots IMO. Count in each round how many Penn landed clean to Edgar's, I think it was more Edgar threw more but not even that much more. Class case of accuracy vs aggression. Penn takes it this time in a WAR though!!! He should come out swinging.

Love the #1 contenders match up too which hopefully it is! Should be another great fight since Florian will fight off his back no doubt and open him out. Should be a war! Cant fn wait!!! haha

Only problem I have is why couldn't it be for 117 maybe been 116? It in Boston though for Florian so that explains it plus if they fight on the same card the winners should be ready around the same time to fight right?

Last edited 4/16/10 12:02AM server time by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   4/16/10 12:01:30AM   

mach

MMA Regular

mach Avatar

Career:572-338
Camp: SA Goons
Chips:
hey frankie I know you overcame crazy odds as a giant underdog to beat the number 1 lightweight in history in a five round battle but this isnt really the outcome we wanted sooo you're gonna have to fight him again k thx in advance

Post #7   4/16/10 1:22:09AM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by mach

hey frankie I know you overcame crazy odds as a giant underdog to beat the number 1 lightweight in history in a five round battle but this isnt really the outcome we wanted sooo you're gonna have to fight him again k thx in advance [/QUOTE

lol. I bet if Edgar has knocked out BJ in devastating fashion he wouldn't have to fight him again in an immediate rematch.

Post #8   4/16/10 3:25:41AM   

sexynick

Learning to Sprawl

Career:94-81
Camp: LQ Baby
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by mach

hey frankie I know you overcame crazy odds as a giant underdog to beat the number 1 lightweight in history in a five round battle but this isnt really the outcome we wanted sooo you're gonna have to fight him again k thx in advance [/QUOTE

lol. I bet if Edgar has knocked out BJ in devastating fashion he wouldn't have to fight him again in an immediate rematch.

i can imagen joe silva as the guy from office space on the phone to edgar!

Post #9   4/16/10 6:25:03AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I LOVE IT!!!

Sucks for Edgar but IMO Penn deserves it, just like Shogun got a rematch in that nail biter. Penn landed the more effective shots IMO. Count in each round how many Penn landed clean to Edgar's, I think it was more Edgar threw more but not even that much more. Class case of accuracy vs aggression. Penn takes it this time in a WAR though!!! He should come out swinging.

Love the #1 contenders match up too which hopefully it is! Should be another great fight since Florian will fight off his back no doubt and open him out. Should be a war! Cant fn wait!!! haha

Only problem I have is why couldn't it be for 117 maybe been 116? It in Boston though for Florian so that explains it plus if they fight on the same card the winners should be ready around the same time to fight right?

Yeah but BJ's face said that Frankie threw the more effective shots.

Post #10   4/16/10 8:33:07AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
This was just one of those things that was inevitable. The silver lining that everyone is missing but NateDawg alluded to, is that if this card goes down like this, You'll have the champion and the number one contender on the same timetable. There won't be a large layoff for the next Lightweight title fight. That's pretty awesome.

Usually you have to wait for one fight to occur, then the second, medical suspensions, training, yadda yadda yadda. it's all sorted out in one night with this card. Like or dislike the pairings here, the lightweight division will be sorted out in one night...unless, it's another five round war with a questionable outcome...duh duh duh

Last edited 4/16/10 2:55PM server time by blueskiesburn
Edit note/reason: noticed that someone sort of mentioned something

Ad: Mixup - New by FanDuel. A casual daily fantasy sports game

Post #11   4/16/10 2:51:44PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I LOVE IT!!!

Yeah but BJ's face said that Frankie threw the more effective shots.

Meaningless facial damage doesn't mean Edgar landed better shots.

Post #12   4/16/10 7:03:44PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by mach

hey frankie I know you overcame crazy odds as a giant underdog to beat the number 1 lightweight in history in a five round battle but this isnt really the outcome we wanted sooo you're gonna have to fight him again k thx in advance

I don't understand how this is "screwing" Frankie over. How can this fight not happen again? No one will convince me Maynard or KenFlo is more worthy then Penn for this fight and BJ is clearly the number one contender and the best fighter in the division aside from taking Edgar into account. If Edgar would have beaten him more convincing then maybe I could see some of your guys points but it was a razor close fight that many thought BJ won.

How fighting the number one contender for the belt is "screwing" Frankie over or saying this isn't the outcome the UFC wanted so they are just going to do over is laughable imo. Frankie is the champ, therefore he's gotta fight the number one contender. The number one contender to the title is BJ Penn.

Post #13   4/16/10 11:47:33PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
**** it, let's do a Grand Prix !

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #14   4/17/10 2:38:18PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

kinda sucks for edgar. i don't think he's going to be able to defend his title if his first fight as champ is against BJ.

i was thinking the same thing. damn, how would you like to have beaten a guy that you've no doubt "iconized" you're whole growth period in a sport, then turn around have to beat him AGAIN a couple months later. Tell you waht, I'll be really impressed if Edgar makes it through this storm. I cannot imagine the pressure haha.

Post #15   4/19/10 8:17:59AM