Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

New Belt Policy

Print  
Should belts change hands due to a Judges Decision?
Yes 41 73%
No 15 27%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
Should the UFC change their championship belt policies so that belts cannot change hands under Judges Decisions?

Perhaps the belt should only change hands when a champion is definitively defeated such as KO, TKO, Submission or Doctor Stoppage?

What do you think?

What would be the pro's and con's of such a rule?

This could prevent outcomes like Edgar vs Penn and Machida vs Rua.

Edgar could still take the win, but BJ could keep the belt and I think everyone would be much happier. (well except Edgar lol)
It was kinda reversed for Machida and Rua. Rua should have gotten the win but Machida still could keep the title until he is definitively beaten.

Discuss.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   4/13/10 9:18:38PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:2,643-1,492
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
cuz Anderson Silva can run around the Octagon for another 3 rounds every fight and not lose his belt?

Post #2   4/13/10 9:24:51PM   

Violence108

Standup Guy

Violence108 Avatar

Career:629-417
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
if u can control your opp. for 5 rounds thats his problem , the champs do what they have to to win and keep there belt, its the opp. job to take it

Post #3   4/13/10 9:33:18PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
No offense but maybe the worst I dea I have ever encountered.

Post #4   4/13/10 9:42:53PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by postman

Well just to clarify, i'm not saying the UFC should do this. I'm just asking what you guys think about this idea and asking about the pros and cons.

Post #5   4/13/10 10:00:06PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:546-340
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I think its a dead question seeing as the UFC cant change this rule.

The athletic commission would be responsible for this type of change and there is absolutely zero chance they would implement it.

Last edited 4/13/10 10:09PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   4/13/10 10:06:36PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Maybe losing a belt over a close decision will make the champs work harder. You think they fight just to keep the title now think about how little aggression they'll have when they don't even have to win their fight to keep the belt.

Post #7   4/13/10 10:09:18PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by postman

Well just to clarify, i'm not saying the UFC should do this. I'm just asking what you guys think about this idea and asking about the pros and cons.

Ok. The best thing they can do is give each judge a 1080 p 19 in lcd tv and let them watch the fight the best way they can. Lets be honest the atmospher is the best part of being at a fight sitting at home inront of your hd tv is the best view of the fight hands down. There is actually a thread up today from someone who was at 112 that was angry because the camera men mad it hard to see the action. Sitting cage side are the worst seats your too low the cage hinders your view then you have the supports in your way camera men maybe the lights are in your eyes they are fighting on the ground clear accross the cage its stupid that these guys don't have moniters.

Post #8   4/13/10 10:15:01PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,877-2,686
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

The athletic commission would be responsible for this type of change and there is absolutely zero chance they would implement it.

That's not technically true. The commission only determines who wins a fight. They have no say in what an organization does with their belts. Technically, the UFC could say the belt only changes hands if you finish the champ. They would never do that...and of coarse, that would seem very odd and you'd see people heads explode trying to rationalize it, but it's ultimately their decision.

Post #9   4/13/10 10:15:19PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
They definitely can't do that IMO it defeats the purpose of having a belt. A loss at the hands of the judges is still a loss no matter how you look at it. You can't let a guy keep his belt if he doesn't win the fight and I tihnk it's as simple as that

Post #10   4/13/10 10:19:07PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,877-2,686
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by postman

Ok. The best thing they can do is give each judge a 1080 p 19 in lcd tv and let them watch the fight the best way they can. Lets be honest the atmospher is the best part of being at a fight sitting at home inront of your hd tv is the best view of the fight hands down. There is actually a thread up today from someone who was at 112 that was angry because the camera men mad it hard to see the action. Sitting cage side are the worst seats your too low the cage hinders your view then you have the supports in your way camera men maybe the lights are in your eyes they are fighting on the ground clear accross the cage its stupid that these guys don't have moniters.

Cecil people has a monitor that he uses when the fight goes to the ground...it's kind of in the shape of a Gameboy.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   4/13/10 10:20:12PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by postman

Cecil people has a monitor that he uses when the fight goes to the ground...it's kind of in the shape of a Gameboy.

Nice

Post #12   4/13/10 10:26:01PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by postman

He's not the first person to suggest this. It's actually a fairly old idea.

Still a poor one though, in my opinion.

Post #13   4/13/10 10:39:19PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Ya definetly if the opponent does enough to win it via decision then ya, Edgar did enough to beat Penn, and if it wasnt like that we would have some bad calls, ala Bisping/Hamill. Now if Penn where to retain his title in that fight alot of people would question the judges, so IMO the judges are gunna make some bad calls but all in all as the saying goes "Never Leave it in the hands of the Judges".

Post #14   4/13/10 10:42:39PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:546-340
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by slapshot

That's not technically true. The commission only determines who wins a fight. They have no say in what an organization does with their belts. Technically, the UFC could say the belt only changes hands if you finish the champ. They would never do that...and of coarse, that would seem very odd and you'd see people heads explode trying to rationalize it, but it's ultimately their decision.

I dont agree, the commission decides the rule they fight by, picks the judges and refs and ultimately tells the UFC what they are required to do to be sanctioned. I dont think they would sanction the UFC if this was done.

I did misread the post though and you are right the belts are UFC's territory.

Last edited 4/13/10 10:57PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #15   4/13/10 10:51:38PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3