Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What can Dana do???

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Fish_Hook

Learning to Sprawl

Career:52-34
Chips:
What can Dana do to make up for the piders performance?? I'm not sayin he should or shouldn't, he said he was going to though.

First thing that comes to my mind is 205lbs. He hasn't pulled any stunts at light heavyweight either. Does he fight a top 5? Does he fight a rising young stud in hopes of a ko victory? I saw frank mur would said he wants to scrap with the pider. Jon Jones keeps coming to mind. Everyone in the division is tied up. Maybe couture just cause he's the dragon slayer. I think Dana is gonna wanna see him loose, which makes me lean towards Jones even more. I think bones would work the pider with his mangy reach and sick tds. Your thoughts???

Post #1   4/13/10 1:52:49AM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:
Do you know his nickname is the spider.

Post #2   4/13/10 2:24:16AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Ok, maybe I'm slow, but your gonna have to explain the whole "pider" thing to me. Having problems typing the "s" key?

I thought about him fighting at 205, and the best option there now is Jon Jones in my opinion. I agree Dana wants to see him lose now, and Jones looks like the best-suited man for the job right now. Plus, if Silva should lose to Jones, Jones is an automatic superstar and the torch has been passed. Personally I still think Silva wins that fight, but regardless, i doubt the UFC will risk having his brightest young superstar lose to a guy whose marketablility took a major hit this past weekend.

It would have been perfect if Silva had put on at least a "good" performance saturday, because then he would have fought for the welterweight title and have had a chance to cement his legacy with another belt and be the only guy to hold 2 belts simutaniously with a win over GSP. Unfortunately, After the horriffic display on saturday, Dana doesn't think Silva deserves a welterweight title shot anymore. And Even though Silva is my favorite fighter, I couldn't agree with Dana more.

As strange as this may seem, I think they keep him at middleweight and through him on a spike card in England or something like that. He'd obviously either fight Vitor or Sonnen, and personally, my Choice is Sonnen because let's face it: love him or hate him, Sonnen is the middleweight with the best shot of beating Anderson now. Belfort will likely actively engage, and again, regardless if you love or hate silva now, Nobody in MMA is good enough to stand and exchange with Silva. Belfort Included.

It's a given that Sonnen will take silva down. The Question is whether or not silva can get back up, wear chael out, or even submit him. Regardless, Chael will press the action as he always does. If silva doesn't engage, Chael will come in and either engage enough to try for a takedown, or just shoot in. Whether or not he'll get knocked out trying to do that remains to be seen, but either way, i honestly don't see this fight being remotely as pathetic as this last one was. At 185, Chael has the best shot at beating Silva, and if he does, we'll likely never have to worry about him putting on another boring performance in the UFC again.

Most importantly, SONNEN WILL SELL THIS FIGHT! CHael's got some of the best trash-talking in the buisness, has thrown verbal darts at silva before, and is already starting to take aim at silva again after the Maia fight, saying "he has a moral obligation to beat him up now." Sonnen is probably the only middleweight fight now who can not only breathe life back into a silva fight, but also (stylistically, anyway) give silva a run for his money.

Lots of good choices at many different divisions, but my choice is that he makes silva defend against Sonnen for his 7th defense on either a UK card or make it a co-main event.

I really hope Dana's not seriously considering putting Silva on the prelims for his next fight. I mean, yeah, he's alot less marketable now than he was 3 days ago, but c'mon, don't deprive the fans of a title fight. The co-main event of either the July Lesnar/Mir fight or the August Boston card would do qutie nicely IMO

Last edited 4/13/10 2:46AM server time by ChokeUout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/13/10 2:30:03AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

...I really hope Dana's not seriously considering putting Silva on the prelims for his next fight. I mean, yeah, he's alot less marketable now than he was 3 days ago, but c'mon, don't deprive the fans of a title fight. The co-main event of either the July Lesnar/Mir fight or the August Boston card would do qutie nicely IMO

Less marketable is an understatement. There's plenty of people who will refuse to buy his next fight. TBH, there would probably be more buys for a PPV if he was on the undercard. And under any other circumstances I'd say it was foolish, but it just might be the smart thing to do...and if he actually delivers, you can still squeeze it onto the broadcast.

Post #4   4/13/10 2:52:50AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ChokeUout

...I really hope Dana's not seriously considering putting Silva on the prelims for his next fight. I mean, yeah, he's alot less marketable now than he was 3 days ago, but c'mon, don't deprive the fans of a title fight. The co-main event of either the July Lesnar/Mir fight or the August Boston card would do qutie nicely IMO

Less marketable is an understatement. There's plenty of people who will refuse to buy his next fight. TBH, there would probably be more buys for a PPV if he was on the undercard. And under any other circumstances I'd say it was foolish, but it just might be the smart thing to do...and if he actually delivers, you can still squeeze it onto the broadcast.

Agreed. Andy's marketability is nil right now. Not only in the US but world wide, apperently even including his homeland.

Post #5   4/13/10 3:14:23AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,355-861
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
honestly i dont care about a fighters marketability. this isnt the stock exchange. this is mma. i honestly dont care. to not put one of the best fighters on the main card is digusting. absolutely horrible. yea hes a jackass so what. you wouldnt be penalizing him by putting him on the undercard you would show that mma is about money and how you can sell fighters to be people. i personally watch mma for the fights. for the sport. yea he was disrespectful. lesnar did it to and look at him. so i really think this is ridiculous.

Post #6   4/13/10 4:41:04AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't this topic supposed to be about what Dana White could do to make up for the "piders" poor performance? Personally, I can't see offering a Silva fight as the way to make up for a Silva fight. Plus, I don't think Dana wants his bread and butter to lose that would be a foolish statement. I think he is clearly upset with Silva but I cannot see Dana wanting him to lose because of that. If he's even close to that pissed Dana could force Anderson to move up to 205 and vacate the title if that's what he wanted. It doesn't make sense to say I want someone to lose when Dana has the power to strip people of their titles.

Now, moving back to the original point of the thread...I would like to say that Dana could make an upcoming fight a free one but UFC seems to be doing that more and more now so I don't know how that makes up for this. He could make the Liddell-Franklin fight a free fight because I don't think too many people are jazzed about spending $50 to possibly see Liddell go to sleep again. There are some interesting fights on that card but certainly nothing that would get $50 out of my wallet. Liddell still has enough drawing power to make me want to see if he can return to his old form but it's not a good enough main event to warrant PPV status. Making this fight free would settle Anderson's debt in my book.

On an even more hopeful note, if Dana made Rampage vs. Evans free I'd never mention UFC 112 again in my life but I know that isn't gonna happen.

Post #7   4/13/10 6:16:03AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

i personally watch mma for the fights. for the sport. yea he was disrespectful. lesnar did it to and look at him. so i really think this is ridiculous.

I watch it for the fights, too. I *don't* watch it to see things like what Anderson did on Saturday night.

And you can't seriously be comparing Lesnar's antics to Silva's. Lesnar actually fought and went a little overboard after the fight. Silva didn't even get on the friggin' boat. He stood on the shore and nailed the captain's wife while flipping him the bird.

Sorry, but that's a RIDICULOUS comparison.

Last edited 4/13/10 9:50AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/13/10 9:50:06AM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
And it's not like this is the first time this has happened.....cote,leites and now maia....If silva does'nt respect his opponents enough to knock them out he shouldn't be in the ring with them. Either put his next fight on a fight night for free or put him on the under card. he isn't worth the $50...

Post #9   4/13/10 1:15:52PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I'm really tired of this Lesnar comparison. Lesnar talked **** about Mir, Bud Light and I suppose his wife, kind of, after he turned Mir's face into hamburger meat. He delivered and then talked ****, akin to Hendo after Bisping. They didn't dance around a ring practicing their capoeira for the better part of three rounds and then have their managers blame it on ring rust only to back track and try to defend their own actions. I may not be alone in my thinking but I don't think that the trash-talking is at the crux of anyone's argument. Their focal point is Silva's complete lack of interest in his previous three title defenses.

Post #10   4/13/10 4:22:19PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ChokeUout

Agreed. Andy's marketability is nil right now. Not only in the US but world wide, apperently even including his homeland.

I get the feeling Andersons next fight is going to have to be huge. They feed him Forrest to fix this same problem last time...I don't know who the can feed to slaughter this time that will get the respect Forrest did Evans? Or they are going to have to make the GSP fight happen. Or they have to put him on a card with Brock something that is going to already draw no matter what.

Post #11   4/13/10 4:48:33PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
His next fight will probably be a non title fight. Not going to lie, I could definetly see Dana putting him on the undercard. I personally hope he does and I personally hope Anderson loses and get's cut. Oh and I hope Nog and the rest of black house fires Ed Sores.

Post #12   4/13/10 5:49:44PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
how's he gonna cut him if his next fight is non-title?

Post #13   4/13/10 5:54:21PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I'd actually love to see him fight Jon Jones they have a similar build and Jones would definitely push the pace and test Anderson.

Post #14   4/13/10 6:16:04PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Dana recently talked about doing another free event for the troops, maybe Andy will main event that.

Post #15   4/13/10 6:24:15PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2