Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

P4P fighter?

Print  
P4P
Silva 13 36%
GSP 10 28%
Fedor 11 31%
BJ 0 0%
Aldo 2 6%
Posted By Message

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Whos the best P4P fighter now, considering Anderson won on a lackluster UD, and GSp won on a dominant UD. I believe that GSP is the best P4P fighter and I always have thought that GSP is the best and IMO would dominate Silva in a fight with his superior wrestling, but anyways im not getting into that. I was just wondering who you guys thought is the best P4P fighter as of now.

Post #1   4/11/10 1:09:19AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Silva because he is god.

Post #2   4/11/10 2:31:41AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I want to say Fedor but I think he should clear strikeforce out first since people STILL want to say he's irrelevant.

Anderson next because he at least has that killer instinct. I think it was styles that made him look bad. Thales and Maia weren't going to trade with him and it wasn't going to the floor, so what did you expect? Cote just walked forward feinting and not really throwing so what did you expect? Everybody else came at him and paid dearly. So do you give those fighters respect for going for the win or those other 3 for surviving?(Cote wasn't really finished except by himself haha) I know he could have ended Thales & Maia anytime really instead of showboating but then I thought about it some more that counter punching is Anderson's style, he makes you look bad. So I don't think Thales and Maia gave him enough to finish them even though it looked like he could in the 1st 2 rounds. Still want to see Vitor Belfort KO him though.

They haven't loss and GSP has so I guess thats why I have him #3 since I think he's a little more vulnerable even though he probably won't be beaten for a long time.

I think Aldo will eventually reach the top though. He's a freakin beast. He's a sick Anderson/Shogun mix IMO. Shogun's ruthless and relentlessness, with Anderson's technique.

Last edited 4/11/10 2:48AM server time by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/11/10 2:46:52AM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,190-783
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
i dont see how Anderson was any less dominant than GSP, both were in control for 25 minutes. On a side note, I actually enjoyed the Anderson fight more to tell the truth

Post #4   4/11/10 3:35:16AM   

Jshep714

MMA Regular

Jshep714 Avatar

Career:1,413-739
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Lord_Lenny

i dont see how Anderson was any less dominant than GSP, both were in control for 25 minutes. On a side note, I actually enjoyed the Anderson fight more to tell the truth

I actually agree with this right here. I would rather watch Anderson than GSP any day of the week.

Post #5   4/11/10 3:38:03AM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by Lord_Lenny

I actually agree with this right here. I would rather watch Anderson than GSP any day of the week.

Completely disagree, if Anderson doesnt KO his opponent in the 1st or possibly the 2nd round he showboats, whereas GSP doesnt care when he finishes the fight even if he didnt finish Hardy he put up alot more class and effort than Anderson

Post #6   4/11/10 3:52:36AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Man, honestly Fedor is Mr. Consistent.
He does what you do(regardless of what it is you do) better than you. And he makes an asterisk in his head to prove this everytime he fights.

Silva, Man..... He's cool. I think he has the right style to beat Gsp(you know, if they were the same natural weight and everything). But the fact that you can halt his aggression by simply not being aggressive hinders his p4p effort.

Gsp, he has the best wrestling in the sport. He also has a huge reach to frustrate strikers and an array of cartoon-esque super moves to embarass you in the process. Then when you come in striking trying to break his jawline, he shoots in and Bam! Magic! Takedown.
However, i think against sluggers with a larger reach, Gsp has consistently shown that he is hesitant to strike with you. And for good purpose. Unlike most of the other Top p4p fighters, Gsp's chin hasnt been shown to be phenomenal. Now, don't get me wrong; Its not bad. But, it isnt stellar like everybody else's at the top of the great pyramid of ass-kickery is either.
A personal doubt of mine, and in no way am i accusing gsp of shenanigans, but i dont think his transition ability is all that its cracked up to be. He got past penn's guard with a shadow of vaseline controversy that we know was applied. But against Alves, a man with half the guard skill of BJ and smaller limbs, Gsp was locked up in not so great a position for most of the fight. I dont think Gsp would be nearly as successful in a rematch, even though i do think he has a good chance of winning.

Bj, i had him above Gsp, meaning in my mind if they were the same weight naturally i think bj wins the majority of the time. However, he also just lost to edgar and the hard evidence(the facts) dictate that he cannot be ranked higher than Gsp. Overall, i think he has the most complete skill-set of anyone. Ever. Also, i think he's the perfect style to beat fedor if, of course, they were magic'd into the same weight, proportionally.

Machida/Shogun/ and Aldo all come next in some order.

Post #7   4/11/10 3:54:15AM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,190-783
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Completely disagree, if Anderson doesnt KO his opponent in the 1st or possibly the 2nd round he showboats, whereas GSP doesnt care when he finishes the fight even if he didnt finish Hardy he put up alot more class and effort than Anderson

Showing more class and effort in your opinion. That doesn't mean he's a better fighter.
I'm in no way trying to say that GSP isnt good because he goes to decision. I dont think that, because he completely dominates top tier fighters consistently. Its just that i don't get how either of their last two fights can make anyone judge anything different from them regarding P4P status. GSP did nothing (new) to impress me, and Anderson did nothing to disappoint.

Last edited 4/11/10 6:27PM server time by Lord_Lenny

Post #8   4/11/10 6:27:00PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
#1- Fedor
#2- GSP
#3- BJ (And he definitely won his fight against Edgar even though the judges didn't see it that way)
#4- Silva (rapidly dropping)
#5- Aldo (rapidly rising although does not have enough title defenses yet to be considered truly a p4p great)

Fedor is still the best. To be honest Anderson was starting to make a pretty good run, but after last night's showing he's significantly dropped in my personal opinion of p4p best. GSP is sorta-somewhat-kinda-partially-maybe on Fedor's heels, but until he starts finishing opponents and fights an opponent with a significant size advantage over him like Fedor consistently does I can't put him in the same category.

Fedor finishes fights almost every time. He fights opponents where they are the strongest, and he still has a better record than any other fighter out there with near as many fights and more.

Fedor fought and dominated Big Nog on the ground twice. Something even Couture couldn't do. Anderson Silva refused to go to the ground with Maia and Leites, both of whom are considered experts on the ground at about the same level as prime Big Nog with Maia being maybe a little higher ground skill wise but less skilled overall. (Boxing/kickboxing wise)

Fedor KO'd Rogers and Arlovski on the feet, and won a decision over prime Crocop on the feet. GSP wouldn't stand with Dan Hardy.

Now whether or not Anderson or GSP COULD fight their opponents and win in their strengths is irrelevant. They didn't. I operate off of knowns. It is known that Fedor schooled Big Nog on the ground for minute after minute and round after round. It is known that Fedor KTFO'd Rogers and Arlovski on the feet and won a decision over Crocop by fighting mostly on the feet. Anything else is irrelevant and/or speculation so it is tossed out the window as useless information.

Oh yeah, and there's that whole fact that Fedor's record is better than all of these guys' records even if you count the loss that wasn't a loss as a loss.

Last edited 4/11/10 6:46PM server time by Jackelope

Post #9   4/11/10 6:46:20PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,474-877
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Each fighter kept the fight where their opponent was weakest and each fighter dominated....

Post #10   4/11/10 7:50:29PM