Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Looking Back at Stephan Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin Five Years Later

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
On Saturday, the UFC will stage an event before a soldout crowd in Abu Dhabi, 8,000 miles away from its home base in Las Vegas. Same story, different desert. But the event is also something of landmark occasion, opening up yet another international market for the UFC.

A short time ago, though, the UFC was barely wanted in its own home country, and even its Zuffa ownership group had looked into possibly unloading the underperforming asset.

It was a company in crisis, until one match changed everything. On April 9, 2005 -- five years ago today -- Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin altered the fortunes of an entire sport...

Link

Post #1   4/9/10 1:40:04PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
I've been watching the UFC since the beginning, but i will admit that for a while there i wasn't really into it like i used to be. the Griffin/Bonner fight was not huge for me, but it was huge for the ufc and that kinda sparked my interest in it again after seeing how big the ufc was getting.

Post #2   4/9/10 3:38:59PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
This is the most overrated fight in the history of MMA.

Post #3   4/9/10 6:05:18PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,445-841
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Overrated, two guys that couldn't knock out a pinata. At the same time it is what is, it brought the UFC into the mainstream, I think changes have brought some good and some bad, now we got a decent upstart in Strikeforce, we've got a lot of guys that are pursuing their careers as fighters now. The bad, I think it's become more about fighting and less about sportsmanship. We have a lot more of people refusing to fight each other, we still see a fair amount of fighters struggling to make a living. Still I am happy that I get to watch MMA 2-3 times a month, and that would not of happened if it weren't for them two laying everything they had out there.

Post #4   4/9/10 6:31:36PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Looking back it is a fight that brought millions to the realization " Holy **** this Ulitimat Fighting stuff is awesome!!!!" And how can you discredit a fight like that!? I have been watching MMA for a long time. I remember watching Joe Sons nuts get pounded! And seeing Tank crippling Steve Nelmark with my old man and I am greatful for SPIKE and TUF. It made this sport what it is today....no matter what orginization your watching!!!!!

Post #5   4/9/10 10:50:20PM   

manstrabula

Learning to Sprawl

manstrabula Avatar

Career:402-376
Chips:
One of the best fight choices you could make to show people to get them interested. it gives a sense that anyman could get in the cage and duke it out......

Post #6   4/13/10 11:31:55AM