Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Performance enhancing drugs?

Print  
Posted By Message

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
My doctors are thinking of prescribing me medication for ADHD or for General Anxiety Disorder and I was wondering. If I have a prescription will I be able to get a fighters licence?

Post #1   4/8/10 6:17:41PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Why are you asking us and not the commission that will issue your license?

Post #2   4/8/10 6:27:03PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Rush

I have but they haven't responded.

Last edited 4/8/10 6:30PM server time by haggiswashere
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/8/10 6:29:38PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
It depends on what you are prescribed I would think, but having taken ADHD medication in the past I know that many of the medications for ADHD can be considered stimulants. I have no idea how that would factor in to being able to fight since it is a prescribed medicine, but I could see it being a problem.

Post #4   4/8/10 9:08:32PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i dont see that it will be a problem. if you were taking it without the prescription and they found out, that would be one thing but if its a legit prescription you should be fine.

Post #5   4/8/10 9:51:13PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

It depends on what you are prescribed I would think, but having taken ADHD medication in the past I know that many of the medications for ADHD can be considered stimulants. I have no idea how that would factor in to being able to fight since it is a prescribed medicine, but I could see it being a problem.

If it's a banned substance, it doesn't matter whether you have a prescription or not...you still can't test positive for it. Many commissions will work with you and go over your options if you go to them in advance...I guess it mainly just depends on what state you are working with.

Post #6   4/8/10 10:28:56PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Rush

I have but they haven't responded.

I would suggest obtaining a list of banned substances from them. This should be easier to obtain and available to anyone requesting it (as far as I would think). Then take the list to your doctor and discuss the situation. The doctor should be able to look at the list and tell you if it is a problem.

Post #7   4/11/10 6:18:09PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Is it a performance enhancing drug?? no, you'll b fine but its always good just to be sure

Post #8   4/12/10 3:53:15PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Chips:
It depends on the state you are applying for and what it is you will be taking.

California has shown a propensity to treat it like this: You can be prescribed any medication, but if that medication is a substance banned by the state athletic commission, even if it is legal for you to take it you cannot have it come up in any tests done on you. For example, if amphetimines are a banned substance, even if you are prescribed something such as dexidrine, they cannot be in your system when you are tested for a fight.

Other states may treat the situation differently and California's precedents in the matter are changing all the time, so the best thing you can do is get a written document from the athletic commission that you are applying for in which they explicitly state how they will treat your case.

No matter what anyone says on here, you need to contact the AC and get your answers there.

Last edited 4/12/10 4:54PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   4/12/10 4:53:13PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Chips:
I got an email back. This is what he said. It's long so sorry, I was going to post the last couple of lines but I think it might be educational to some people (it was to me)

Chris,

I am sorry it's taken a few days to get back to you. Contestant drug testing is covered by our rule R359-1-506, Drug Tests:

R359-1-506. Drug Tests.

In accordance with Section 63C-11-317, the following shall apply to drug testing:

(1) The administration of or use of any:

(a) Alcohol;

(b) Stimulant; or

(c) Drug or injection that has not been approved by the Commission, including, but not limited to, the drugs or injections listed R359-1-506 (2), in any part of the body, either before or during a contest or exhibition, to or by any unarmed combatant, is prohibited.

(2) The following types of drugs, injections or stimulants are prohibited pursuant to R359-1-506 (1):

(a) Afrinol or any other product that is pharmaceutically similar to Afrinol.

(b) Co-Tylenol or any other product that is pharmaceutically similar to Co-Tylenol.

(c) A product containing an antihistamine and a decongestant.

(d) A decongestant other than a decongestant listed in R359-1-506 (4).

(e) Any over-the-counter drug for colds, coughs or sinuses other than those drugs listed in R359-1- 506 (4). This paragraph includes, but is not limited to, Ephedrine, Phenylpropanolamine, and Mahuang and derivatives of Mahuang.

(f) Any drug identified on the 2008 edition of the Prohibited List published by the World Anti-Doping Agency, which is hereby incorporated by reference. The 2008 edition of the Prohibited List may be obtained, free of charge, at www.wada-ama.org.

(3) The following types of drugs or injections are not prohibited pursuant to R359-1-506 (1), but their use is discouraged by the Commission:

(a) Aspirin and products containing aspirin.

(b) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories.

(4) The following types of drugs or injections are accepted by the Commission:

(a) Antacids, such as Maalox.

(b) Antibiotics, antifungals or antivirals that have been prescribed by a physician.

(c) Antidiarrheals, such as Imodium, Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol.

(d) Antihistamines for colds or allergies, such as Bromphen, Brompheniramine, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Chlor-Trimeton, Dimetane, Hismal, PBZ, Seldane, Tavist-1 or Teldrin.

(e) Antinauseants, such as Dramamine or Tigan.

(f) Antipyretics, such as Tylenol.

(g) Antitussives, such as Robitussin, if the antitussive does not contain codeine.

(h) Antiulcer products, such as Carafate, Pepcid, Reglan, Tagamet or Zantac.

(i) Asthma products in aerosol form, such as Brethine, Metaproterenol (Alupent) or Salbutamol (Albuterol, Proventil or Ventolin).

(j) Asthma products in oral form, such as Aminophylline, Cromolyn, Nasalide or Vanceril.

(k) Ear products, such as Auralgan, Cerumenex, Cortisporin, Debrox or Vosol.

(l) Hemorrhoid products, such as Anusol-HC, Preparation H or Nupercainal.

(m) Laxatives, such as Correctol, Doxidan, Dulcolax, Efferyllium, Ex-Lax, Metamucil, Modane or Milk of Magnesia.

(n) Nasal products, such as AYR Saline, HuMist Saline, Ocean or Salinex.

(o) The following decongestants:

(i) Afrin;

(ii) Oxymetazoline HCL Nasal Spray; or

(iii) Any other decongestant that is pharmaceutically similar to a decongestant listed in R359-1-506 (1)or (2).

(5) At the request of the Commission, the designated Commission member, or the ringside physician, a contestant or assigned official shall submit to a test of body fluids to determine the presence of drugs. A contestant must give an adequate sample or it will deem to be a denial. The promoter shall be responsible for any costs of testing.

(6) If the test results in a finding of the presence of a drug or if the contestant or assigned official is unable or unwilling to provide a sample of body fluids for such a test, the Commission may take one or more of the following actions:

(a) immediately suspend the contestant's or assigned official's license in accordance with Section R359-1-403;

(b) stop the contest in accordance with Subsection 63C-11-316(2);

(c) initiate other appropriate licensure action in accordance with Section 63C-11-310; or

(d) withhold the contestant's purse in accordance with Subsection 63C-11-321.

(7) A contestant who is disciplined pursuant to the provisions of this Rule and who was the winner of a contest shall be disqualified and the decision of the contest shall be changed to "no contest."

(8) Unless the commission licensing an event requires otherwise, a contestant who tests positive for illegal drugs shall be penalized as follows:

(a) First offense - 180 day suspension.

(b) Second offense - 1 year suspension, and mandatory completion of a supervisory treatment program approved by the commission that licensed the event.

(c) Third offense - 2 year suspension, and mandatory completion of a supervisory treatment program approved by the commission that licensed the event.

The ringside physician may make some allowances for prescription medications, but not if it is a stimulant, narcotic or anti-seizure medication; or other substance that would give you a competitive advantage over your opponent or negatively impact your health or safety.

-Bill

Bill Colbert
Director

Post #10   4/13/10 6:16:44PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Chips:
I'm wondering what my options are now. I'm not going to lie to you playground I am still a little confused if I can have a non stimulant drug such as Strattera or Welbutrin (which is an antidepressant as well) I asked him if they would be outlawed and he said he would get back to me after he asked the chief ringside physician.

Post #11   4/13/10 6:21:58PM   

RiseUp21

MMA Regular

RiseUp21 Avatar

Career:242-141
Chips:

Traces of the banned substance were detected in a pre-fight drug test.

According to UFC.com, prior to Friday's weigh-ins, Credeur informed the Nevada State Athletic Commission that he had ceased using the medication five days before the weigh-ins.

When his test revealed the drug was still in Credeur's system, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer pulled the fighter from the event.

"Unfortunately, the drug was still in his system, and he's still positive, so he was unable to get cleared to fight," Kizer told UFC.com. "It should be out of his system in a few days, and hopefully they'll find another fight for him.

"(The drug) acts as a cardio-vascular restrictor, and that's the main reason it's banned because it can cause athletes to have a cardiac episode with the stress they're under when they're in an athletic competition. Secondly, it can have a performance-enhancing effect as well."

Credeur faces no disciplinary action because he alerted officials of the drug beforehand.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4629/tim-credeur-tests-positive-for-adderall-bout-with-cale-yarbrough-scrapped.mma
This was from when Tim Credeur had his fight pulled due to testing positive for Adderall, which I take for ADHD. Also, amphetamine salts are the main "ingredients" if you will in adderall, and I would assume most ADHD meds, and thats on the list of banned substances by the World Anti-Doping Agency.X

Post #12   4/14/10 2:09:39PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,981-1,059
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by RiseUp21

Traces of the banned substance were detected in a pre-fight drug test.

According to UFC.com, prior to Friday's weigh-ins, Credeur informed the Nevada State Athletic Commission that he had ceased using the medication five days before the weigh-ins.

When his test revealed the drug was still in Credeur's system, NSAC executive director Keith Kizer pulled the fighter from the event.

"Unfortunately, the drug was still in his system, and he's still positive, so he was unable to get cleared to fight," Kizer told UFC.com. "It should be out of his system in a few days, and hopefully they'll find another fight for him.

"(The drug) acts as a cardio-vascular restrictor, and that's the main reason it's banned because it can cause athletes to have a cardiac episode with the stress they're under when they're in an athletic competition. Secondly, it can have a performance-enhancing effect as well."

Credeur faces no disciplinary action because he alerted officials of the drug beforehand.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4629/tim-credeur-tests-positive-for-adderall-bout-with-cale-yarbrough-scrapped.mma
This was from when Tim Credeur had his fight pulled due to testing positive for Adderall, which I take for ADHD. Also, amphetamine salts are the main "ingredients" if you will in adderall, and I would assume most ADHD meds, and thats on the list of banned substances by the World Anti-Doping Agency.X

Adderall if used by a lot of people as a weight loss supplement too. So maybe that's why he was banned for that.

Post #13   4/15/10 2:21:10PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

I'm wondering what my options are now. I'm not going to lie to you playground I am still a little confused if I can have a non stimulant drug such as Strattera or Welbutrin (which is an antidepressant as well) I asked him if they would be outlawed and he said he would get back to me after he asked the chief ringside physician.

You are doing it the right way. I think your situation is probably a gray area that hasn't been worked out yet.

Keep us updated and good luck to you.

Post #14   4/18/10 1:36:14AM