Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Hardy: Georges St. Pierre plays it safe to keep his belt

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I wouldn't change it for the world. Even the result now. I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason and obviously I'm not ready to be the champion just yet. But there are a lot of positives to gain from it. Obviously one of them is the fans are now a little more aware of me and the fans that were aware of me before now, most of them, have a new respect for what I'm willing to do when I'm in there. [St. Pierre] took the win from me but he didn't take the fight from me. I wasn't beaten mentally or physically. I don't know, it must be frustrating for the fans and it's frustrating for me because I know that GSP has the kind of potential to make more of a fight out of it. But he's very good at wrestling and he chooses to stick with the safe option to keep his belt. I mean you can't hold it against him. It's not what I would do in his situation but I'm not in his situation right now, so I can't really make those calls. I certainly don't feel like I'm miles away from winning the belt. I know I've got work to do but I'm confident that it's within my ability to do it and get the belt."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   4/8/10 10:39:29AM   

oselius

Learning to Sprawl

Career:69-41
Chips:
Dan speaks the truth.

Greg Jackson: "Don't pass Georges, stay in the guard and throw some punches."

Post #2   4/8/10 12:50:08PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:332-275
Camp: DGK
Chips:
Makes me respect Dan Hardy a bit more. well said by him.

Post #3   4/8/10 3:38:55PM   

jahdoug

MMA Regular

jahdoug Avatar

Career:376-251
Chips:
Maybe its not what Hardy would do in that situation, but then again neither is winning every round of several fights in a row. Im sick of this, its a fight, do what you got to in order to win. I may not love Fitch, but he wins. Its up to the other fighter to do what they got to as well.....Bas won the HW strap after spending all night under Kevin Randleman.

Post #4   4/8/10 3:40:47PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
"Why didn't GSP stand and bang and atleast give me a chance to win......."
Thats what I'm hearing here, once again ,in what other sport do athletes play into an opponents strength to please the spectators? Zero.
GSP is in the winning fights business, not the..."How can i make this a competitive entertaining fight business...."

If you didn't see multiple take downs and controlled positioning coming your an idiot, and to hold GSP responsible for Dan Hardy's 1-dimensional game is boarderline retarded....

Post #5   4/8/10 3:54:34PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by crushedbacon

"Why didn't GSP stand and bang and atleast give me a chance to win......."
Thats what I'm hearing here, once again ,in what other sport do athletes play into an opponents strength to please the spectators? Zero.
GSP is in the winning fights business, not the..."How can i make this a competitive entertaining fight business...."

If you didn't see multiple take downs and controlled positioning coming your an idiot, and to hold GSP responsible for Dan Hardy's 1-dimensional game is boarderline retarded....

I thought that what Dan was saying was pretty easy to understand. He said it wasn't what he would do but then he is not in the position to make that call. What makes you think Dan has a 1 dimensional game? I am betting that you have only seen his fights in the UFC right? And if you are going to answer that then please do so before looking up Dan's previous fights.

During that particular fight GSP was just as 1 dimensional. Yes I know that GSP is not 1 dimensional by any means but during that particular fight he was. Wrestling and then sub-par sub attempts where all that he offered. GSP is leagues above Dan right now and I do agree with you that it would be insane for any athlete to play into an opponents strength to please the spectators. However I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of what Dan was saying.

Post #6   4/8/10 4:06:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dan Hardy started out in my mind as an exciting up and comer. His antics with Swick and Marcus Davis convinced me that he was immature and a bit of a punk. The kind of trash talker that I've hated since Tito was a relevant fighter.

Prior to the GSP fight he showed a good amount of respect and I found my self starting to like the guy again.

His statements after the fight have thrown all of that out the window. You got DOMINATED for every second of every round. At no point in that fight were you even close to going on offense. Stop crying, work your guard, practice takedown defense.

Post #7   4/8/10 5:27:35PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Dan Hardy needs to get over himself. In no way did he even give Georges a fight. None. I am tired of this BS coming out of his mouth.

Post #8   4/8/10 5:34:09PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
While I think Georges should've listened to his coaches and used GnP a lot more, I want to send Dan Hardy the .gif of him making the crying motion. He has a point, sure, but GSP was trying to finish him the entire time.

Some (not all, but some) are ignoring GSP's post-fight comments, that while he feels his standup is superior to Hardy's, there's too high of a chance for Hardy to win in that area. The smart play is on the ground as we saw, and while Dan showed immense fortitude during the sub attempts, his takedown defense was horrible and he has no one to blame or criticize but himself.

Some are also forgetting how powerfully GSP demolished Fitch on the feet, and how he gave Alves a lot of chances in the standup.

This wasn't a case of a massive priority of ground control a la Gray Maynard or Jon Fitch. GSP was trying to set up submissions for most of the fight. In his mind, that's how he saw the fight ending. Technical errors prevented a stoppage win, not a lack of heart or killer instinct.

Post #9   4/8/10 5:34:36PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Right Dan. It's called Mixed Martial Arts, not "Lets stand in the center of the ring and see who has the hardest head." He tried to submit. He took you down at will. Other then getting dumped, what did you do? Oh yea, nothing. One day you will understand it's called, "Mixed Martial Arts." Cabbage had a hard head like you, where is he at now? Become wellrounded and you to could be champ.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #10   4/8/10 5:37:34PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Right Dan. It's called Mixed Martial Arts, not "Lets stand in the center of the ring and see who has the hardest head." He tried to submit. He took you down at will. Other then getting dumped, what did you do? Oh yea, nothing. One day you will understand it's called, "Mixed Martial Arts." Cabbage had a hard head like you, where is he at now? Become wellrounded and you to could be champ.

He has more to his game than what he showed in that fight. Who against GSP has not looked like they had terrible TD defense? He needs to add a more offensive wrestling to his game but then that's the disadvantage any UK fighter has right now. They don't do wrestling in high school. Wrestling is a massive attribute in MMA.

Post #11   4/8/10 5:43:30PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
GSP plays the NHL's version of the trap, if you cant get by it, you're paddling up sh*t river with your hands as paddles. If you think its gay and you want to cry about it, then improve your wrestling so you're better then GSP and he has to stand.
Boohoohoo, all he does is wrestle, IMPROVE YOUR WRESTLING WW DIVISION!

Post #12   4/8/10 6:07:16PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Chips:

I thought that what Dan was saying was pretty easy to understand. He said it wasn't what he would do but then he is not in the position to make that call. What makes you think Dan has a 1 dimensional game? I am betting that you have only seen his fights in the UFC right? And if you are going to answer that then please do so before looking up Dan's previous fights.

During that particular fight GSP was just as 1 dimensional. Yes I know that GSP is not 1 dimensional by any means but during that particular fight he was. Wrestling and then sub-par sub attempts where all that he offered. GSP is leagues above Dan right now and I do agree with you that it would be insane for any athlete to play into an opponents strength to please the spectators. However I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of what Dan was saying.

Hardy says......"I don't know, it must be frustrating for the fans and it's frustrating for me because I know that GSP has the kind of potential to make more of a fight out of it."

I have an issue with this statement.....by more of a fight he means letting Hardy have a chance at a standup fight.....not just school him for 25 minutes with wrestling on a level Dan Hardy can only dream about ever acheiving. Yeah the only Hardy fights I've watched are his UFC ones, all against standup guys. IMO the top wrestlers at WW will have there way with him all day. As for sub-par sub attempts...LOL, your kidding right.

Post #13   4/8/10 6:18:35PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Huh?
Its not like he's talking trash, the headline isnt even a quote from his. If you look at what he actually says its all completely correct and theres trace amounts of whine at best.

Also, lets forget that he was prompted the question, and that he replied intelligently.. That makes it harder for us to be mad at him for no reason. grrr

Post #14   4/8/10 6:25:28PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Chips:

What makes you think Dan has a 1 dimensional game? I am betting that you have only seen his fights in the UFC right? And if you are going to answer that then please do so before looking up Dan's previous fights.

So what are you saying, Dan has schooled some bums in the UK on the ground? I wouldn't doubt it.

Post #15   4/8/10 6:41:36PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3