Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Hughes: No Prediction, But I Think I Will Win

Print  
Who wins: Matt Hughes or Renzo Gracie
Gracie by decision 2 4%
Hughes by decision 26 55%
Gracie by submission 2 4%
Hughes by submission 1 2%
Gracie by KO/TKO 1 2%
Hughes by KO/TKO 15 32%
Posted By Message

miphi1991

MMA Regular

Career:80-51
Chips:
Matt Hughes: No Prediction, But I Think I Will Win

Matt Hughes is set to square off with his second Gracie family opponent at UFC 112.

Hughes, who defeated hall of famer Royce Gracie at UFC 60 back in 2006, will get in the octagon with Royce's cousin Renzo this Saturday.

When asked for a fight prediction Hughes declined, but almost immediately after stated "Yes I think I'm gonna win, if I didn't think I was gonna win I wouldn't have taken the fight."

Post #1   4/5/10 8:44:49PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,644-1,421
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
this is kinda sad but it's like the battle of the wheel chair warriors, both of these guys are way past their prime and probably should retire soon.

Hughes is nothing like he used to be and he won't even fight guys that are up and coming so they can't use him as a stepping stone, I really don't see the point of him fighting much anymore.

Good matchup, like 10 years ago...

Last edited 4/5/10 11:57PM server time by xdanish020
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   4/5/10 11:55:27PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Nice 2 see Hughes testing himself lol
Hughes should try to get in the mix imo

Post #3   4/6/10 1:02:32AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,539-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'd like to see him fight Fitch, I think it would be a competitive fight.

Post #4   4/6/10 1:52:28AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I'd like to see him fight Fitch, I think it would be a competitive fight.

Not quite, unless competitive means GSP vs fitch, only this time Fitch get's GSP's role lol.

btw Hughes by decision, although Renzo knocking him out, or even winning for that matter would be extremely pleasent for me.

Post #5   4/6/10 2:02:24AM   

godofdixie

MMA Regular

godofdixie Avatar

Career:1,224-652
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
hughes will probably win a decision imo, but i'd love to see renzo pull a submission off from his back

Post #6   4/6/10 2:14:13AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-935
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
to the humor in Hughes's contradictory statement.

In all likelihood, Hughes ground-and-pounds a fighter that hasn't been competitive in years. Hughes is so slow and awkward standing up now and his takedowns are clumsy compared to the time when he was arguably the best fighter in the world, and any top fighter would exploit all his weaknesses and beat him up bad today. But Renzo Gracie isn't a world-class fighter.

Post #7   4/6/10 2:17:30AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,574-980
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
well im sure gsp knows a thing or two about hughes and where was gsp training for hardy? o yea at renzos gym. i think renzo might take this one.

Post #8   4/6/10 5:07:06AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm rooting for Renzo big time,but I'm confident that Hughes is probably going to take a decision.

Post #9   4/6/10 2:05:38PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I never followed boxing too closely, but I always wonder if fans look at all combat sports participants this way or if it's unique to MMA. It seems like when a champion loses a fight or two everyone instantly claims he needs to retire or they're washed up etc.

Matt Hughes has only lost to GSP and Thiago Alves in the last 6 years. GSP, the CLEAR #1 who dominates everyone he fights equally badly, and Alves, who is arguably the #2 in the division, and certainly no lower than #3.

I just don't see how losing to those guys makes you washed up or is an indication that he needs to retire. The guy can still beat the vast majority of the division and I would still probably have to put him at the bottom end of the top 10. Same thing happened with Henderson and plenty of other guys near the top of the ladder when they lose a fight or two.

He may not have looked that impressive against Serra, but he was almost knocked out by an accidental headbutt in the first round and still managed to tough it out and win the fight. I think the guy has plenty of fight left in him. Is he going to have the belt again? No, probably not. Can he still compete in the UFC? Absolutely.

Last edited 4/6/10 2:58PM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   4/6/10 2:57:11PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I never followed boxing too closely, but I always wonder if fans look at all combat sports participants this way or if it's unique to MMA. It seems like when a champion loses a fight or two everyone instantly claims he needs to retire or they're washed up etc.

Matt Hughes has lost to GSP and Thiago Alves are the only fighters he has lost to in the last 6 years. GSP the CLEAR #1 who dominates everyone he fights equally badly and Alves who is arguably the #2 in the division, and certainly no lower than #3.

I just don't see how losing to those guys makes you washed up or is an indication that he needs to retire. The guy can still beat the vast majority of the division and I would still probably have to put him at the bottom end of the top 10. Same thing happened with Henderson and plenty of other guys near the top of the ladder when they lose a fight or two.

He may not have looked that impressive against Serra, but he was almost knocked out by an accidental headbutt in the first round and still managed to tough it out and win the fight. I think the guy has plenty of fight left in him. Is he going to have the belt again? No, probably not. Can he still compete in the UFC? Absolutely.

you are probably correct but i'm still rooting for Renzo.

Post #11   4/6/10 2:59:28PM   

MattHughesRules

MMA Regular

MattHughesRules Avatar

Career:710-388
Camp: Tapout or Passout
Chips:
I am clearly bias, Hughes is my fav fighter. However I don't think Renzo stands much of a chance in this fight. I think Hughes will take him down and work him over pretty well. Hughes does have a pretty high level of jiu-jitsu and with his superior wrestling he will control the pace and positioning of the fight. I just don't see Renzo getting the sub which is his only chance at victory. If Renzo is in good shape this one will go the distance because of his great defensive guard and Hughes will win by UD. If Renzo lacks the gas he will get finished via G&P in the third.

I totallly agree that the prime for Matt Hughes is in the rear view Mirror. GSP is the present and future of the division. All of Hughes losses recently are to top notch talent though (GSP, Alves). I also think that if not for the head butt in the first round of the Serra fight that he may have been more dominant there. Not saying he is going to run at the title again but I think there are guys that matter in the division he can handle still. At least some nice fights to set up if he chooses to fight more.

I think with the knee injury well in the past and hopefully some motivation in him Hughes still has some quality fights to offer.

Post #12   4/6/10 5:35:12PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by Aether

Matt Hughes has lost to GSP and Thiago Alves are the only fighters he has lost to in the last 6 years. GSP the CLEAR #1 who dominates everyone he fights equally badly and Alves who is arguably the #2 in the division, and certainly no lower than #3.

you are probably correct but i'm still rooting for Renzo.

Maybe you need to Look at Hughes vs Serra and see how close that was and how pathetic Hughes' shots looked, also observe the fact that his striking game is zero. He doesn't need to retire, I like watching him lose. But he's not anywhere near elite, too much talent added on to the UFC recently.

Remember that even back in the day he was having really tough fights with guys who have mediocre skills compared to todays badass MMA fighters. He had 2 struggles with Trigg, Penn killed him easily, then he had a narrow win in the second fight, He took a close decision to Sherk, He was getting owned in his own strength against GSP in the first fight until he caught the sub, and got destroyed 2 times after that, and Alves owned him badly. Hughes is the greatest fighter of his generation probably, the greatest champ ever on paper, but these days he sucks.

Post #13   4/7/10 3:03:23PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Well you clearly didn't read my entire post. All of my responses to the points you brought up are contained in the original post.

Post #14   4/7/10 3:07:36PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

Well you clearly didn't read my entire post. All of my responses to the points you brought up are contained in the original post.

You're claiming that people think he needs to retire simply because he lost the title and had a couple losses on his record.

I'm claiming that he legitimately is no longer a top guy skill wise, not just rankings.

It is not a simple case of a champ losing hype but still being skilled. It is a case of Sylviaitis. He was great when talent was there, but can't compare to supertalent coming in, also in this case C+ because of the body giving way.

Post #15   4/7/10 6:35:24PM