Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Does Maia Have A Chance?

Print  
Who will win the middleweight title at UFC 112?
Demian Maia 10 14%
Anderson Silva 59 86%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

miphi1991

MMA Regular

Career:80-51
Chips:
Does Maia Have A Chance?

Anderson Silva.

The Spider carries a perfect 10-0 octagon record with him to his middleweight title defense this Saturday at UFC 112. He also has a 25-4 record overall, with 15 of his fights coming by way of KO/TKO. Silva has not lost an MMA fight in nearly five years, and many, including UFC President Dana White, rank him as the top pound for pound fighter in the world.

Post #1   4/5/10 3:29:07PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
It's hard to imagine Maia winning this. Sonnen is a more interesting match up for me because of his wrestling but both upsets and domination can be entertaining so i'm looking fwd to this either way.

Post #2   4/5/10 4:02:13PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think maia has a chance but its almost to small to see. i really think that sonnen has a chance if he gets AS on the ground and keeps him there. maia on the other hand will get rocked early, then finished.

Post #3   4/5/10 4:47:51PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,400-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This is going to either look like Silva/Leites or Marquardt/Maia. I'm pulling for Maia, but Sonnen or Belfort have better shots of ending Silva's reign.

Post #4   4/5/10 4:55:59PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:
way more interested in the belfort match up but i'd love for Vitor to have a few fights first. it's hard to argue against him getting the match up when he's the only other guy to destroy franklin like that besides silva (& machida)

Last edited 4/5/10 7:43PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/5/10 5:05:00PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,455-865
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

way more interested in the belfort match up but i'd love for Vitor to have a few fights first but it's hard to argue against him getting the match up when he's the only other guy to destroy franklin like that besides silva (& machida)

It's funny that you're more interested in the Belfort match-up because I feel the opposite...
I think Maia little chance on the feet, but Maia has got a decent chance to beat Anderson if he can take Anderson down and land in half-guard or side-control (keep in mind that thus far in the UFC Anderson has been taken down by those who tried).
On the other hand, Belfort, in my mind, has little chance of subbing Anderson and little chance out-striking him too.

Post #6   4/5/10 5:21:01PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
"a chance" is pretty relative. There's "a chance" that Anderson slips on the logo and suffers an injury, is it a reasonable chance? There's a pretty tiny chance of Maia pulling some kind of submission of ala chonan heelhook, but it's very tiny IMO.

Post #7   4/5/10 5:24:20PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
Honestly, Maia has no chance. Not even a punchers chance. Thats just how good Anderson Silva is. Either a first round KO, or a 5 round bore fest with Maia running away. (Doubt Maia will run away though)

Post #8   4/5/10 5:24:28PM   

thepitbull00

MMA Regular

thepitbull00 Avatar

Career:2,328-1,642
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I think Maia may have a flying-armbar's-chance-in-hell but I don't see him taking the title away from Silva.

Post #9   4/5/10 5:29:58PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,851-1,574
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I see Silva winning by either RD 1 KO/TKO or a boring UD.

Post #10   4/5/10 5:34:28PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by MaxOne

way more interested in the belfort match up but i'd love for Vitor to have a few fights first but it's hard to argue against him getting the match up when he's the only other guy to destroy franklin like that besides silva (& machida)

It's funny that you're more interested in the Belfort match-up because I feel the opposite...
I think Maia little chance on the feet, but Maia has got a decent chance to beat Anderson if he can take Anderson down and land in half-guard or side-control (keep in mind that thus far in the UFC Anderson has been taken down by those who tried).
On the other hand, Belfort, in my mind, has little chance of subbing Anderson and little chance out-striking him too.

i hope Maia makes it competitive. i'm all for it. If any of these guys has a punchers chance it's Vitor IMO but i could see him burning out early too.

Post #11   4/5/10 5:38:21PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Maia has a hell of a lot better chance than Sonnen or Belfort. Belfort will strike with anderson, and while he's good standing, anderson is better. Sonnen has good wrestling but not enough skills on the ground to do anything to anderson once it hits the ground. Sonnen vs Anderson might be like Anderson vs Henderson. I could see sonnen taking him down but anderson would find a way to sweep, submit or standup and eventually win the fight.

Maia is intriguing for many reasons. First, his takedowns are as good as Chael Sonnens. I know thats a heavy statement, but if you look at his fights in the UFC its definitely true. He might not have as good of a double leg takedown, but his throws and guard pulling skills make him equally adept at getting this fight to the ground. Second, he is the most dangerous submission guy in the division, probably in the sport. He is to the ground game what anderson is to the standup game. Anderson may have a black belt, but he is worlds away from Demian on the mat. And lastly, he is aggressive. I could never see Maia flopping around for five rounds the way Leites did. He will go an go and go, until he either gets knocked out, or the fight ends up in his realm.

I'm picking Anderson, but I think Demian has a hell of a lot better shot than people are giving him credit for.

Post #12   4/5/10 7:05:33PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
100%

Post #13   4/5/10 7:15:32PM   

amicali

Learning to Sprawl

amicali Avatar

Career:828-509
Chips:
this post is dumb btw, can't believe no one has commented on this... I'm about to start posting opinions on my facebook and linking these articles there

Post #14   4/5/10 7:15:47PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:
more and more folks that think Maia has a decent chance. i'd love to see an upset.

Last edited 4/5/10 7:42PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   4/5/10 7:40:33PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2