Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

RENZO GRACIE ON GSP'S INABILITY TO FINISH HARDY

Print  
Posted By Message

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,381-1,294
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Prior to his UFC 111 title defense against Dan Hardy, welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre spent two weeks in Manhattan working at the Renzo Gracie Academy to help sharpen his skills in preparation for the fight.

St-Pierre has worked with Renzo Gracie black belt John Danaher for several fights now, and always credits the work he does with them for his incredible ground acumen. Much of that skill showed on Saturday night when St-Pierre wrenched Hardy's arm in two different submissions that nearly finished the fight.

link

Post #1   4/4/10 1:35:15AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Wow now I feel like as much of a BJJ ace as Renzo Gracie, lol.

I was saying the same thing about the technical error in GSP's submission attempt. Then again watching and knowing is a whole lot different than being there and doing. So GSP still gets all the credit in the world from me but like I said from the beginning his technique was off just a bit.

Post #2   4/4/10 2:03:31AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Wow now I feel like as much of a BJJ ace as Renzo Gracie, lol.

I was saying the same thing about the technical error in GSP's submission attempt. Then again watching and knowing is a whole lot different than being there and doing. So GSP still gets all the credit in the world from me but like I said from the beginning his technique was off just a bit.

exactly how i felt as well. i went to the event and Bowen and i were discussing why he was unable to tap out hardy. we came to the conclusions, after watching the replays, that he didn't use his hips enough in the armbar (used his hands to power it down leaving a little space between Hardy's arm and GSP's body) and that he was torquing the kimura up instead of behind his back, which would have been corrected by being perpendicular like Renzo pointed out. by like you said, very big difference between knowing and doing...i find myself doing sloppy armbars all the time even though i know better

Post #3   4/4/10 2:43:52AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
GSP is a black belt, and he does arm bar and kimura wrong? thats stuff you learn right away. what kind of bjj black belt is that?

Last edited 4/4/10 9:46AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   4/4/10 8:45:46AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:
He wasn't doing them completely "wrong" so to say..he just wasn't doing them 100% correctly technically speaking.

I'm still convinced that if GSP was a badder dude, he coulda have taken Dan's arm home with him w/ that kimura.

Last edited 4/4/10 10:18AM server time by xdanish020
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/4/10 10:17:42AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
Everyone makes technical mistakes, and in the heat of the moment it's easy to mess up submissions. People mess up sometimes in every sport though. How many times have you seen professionals fumble a ball, or have you seen a college wrestler mess up a single leg? Those are both things you learn in the beginning, but technical mistakes happen.

Post #6   4/4/10 1:14:50PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

GSP is a black belt, and he does arm bar and kimura wrong? thats stuff you learn right away. what kind of bjj black belt is that?

I think if anything it illustrates why a person like Demian Maia is able to submit people left and right at the highest level of competition and someone like GSP still clearly struggles to finish some submissions at the highest level.

No one is perfect, but it definitely shows the difference between a Demian Maia level BJJ black belt and a GSP level BJJ black belt. Both bad dudes for damn sure but when it comes to BJJ GSP couldn't hold a candle to Maia.

Post #7   4/4/10 5:51:10PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:
I think people underestimated Hardy's BJJ going into this fight as well, prior to training with Serra he has trained with Eddie Bravo and 10th planet jiu jitsu as well.

Post #8   4/4/10 6:03:33PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

I think people underestimated Hardy's BJJ going into this fight as well, prior to training with Serra he has trained with Eddie Bravo and 10th planet jiu jitsu as well.

Very true and a statement I've made as well going into this whole deal. Some credit has to be given to Hardy for knowing how to relieve the pain and eventually escape the submissions. Props

Post #9   4/4/10 6:07:18PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Next week it will be GSP describing why Renzo couldn't finish Hughes.

Post #10   4/5/10 10:59:47AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Then again watching and knowing is a whole lot different than being there and doing.

This is very true. I could go on all day about the technical mistakes these professional fighters make on a regular basis. I am not talking about advanced stuff either. I am talking about MMA 101, stuff that one would learn at a 4 hour seminar. Then again, it's easy to criticize from the comfort of one's couch.

Post #11   4/5/10 11:02:39AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I think if anything it illustrates why a person like Demian Maia is able to submit people left and right at the highest level of competition and someone like GSP still clearly struggles to finish some submissions at the highest level.

No one is perfect, but it definitely shows the difference between a Demian Maia level BJJ black belt and a GSP level BJJ black belt. Both bad dudes for damn sure but when it comes to BJJ GSP couldn't hold a candle to Maia.

There is a difference between Demian Maia BJJ and any other fighter's BJJ. Demian Maia won the Abu Dhabi tournament. That, in my opinion, puts him as one of the best BJJ artist in the world. Then he transitions to MMA, and he shows us that he is, imo, the best submission artist in MMA. you can't compare someone like that to a guy who started out in Karate. Hell, I wouldn't compare Maia to anyone in the UFC. I think his submissions are the best in MMA.

Post #12   4/5/10 11:51:23AM