Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dan Hardy: I May Have Lost Saturday Night But I Wasn't Beaten

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

shotokansun

Learning to Sprawl

shotokansun Avatar

Career:38-24
Chips:
He can have all the confidence that he wants. Unless he finds a way to make himself immovable, there is no way he can stuff GSP's takedowns. GSP was 10 for 10 on his takedowns during the fight, those numbers don't bode well for anyone. Hardy has a punchers chance to knock GSP out, sure, but that chance goes away the second GSP shoots for the take down, and we all know he will.

Hardy GSP II would probably be the exact same fight as the first one. I know would not be particularly excited to see a rematch, unless something DRASTICALLY changed in Hardy's take down defense, and I really don't see that happening to the point where he can level the playing field with GSP.

Post #16   4/3/10 2:53:43PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Caesarrrr

I feel like you all might be underestimating Hardy a little bit. I agree wholeheartedly that he was dominated, and that he won't be able to beat GSP next year even if he has the chance. However, you can't say "he barely landed anything" when the fight was on its feet for all of 45 seconds out of 25 minutes. He was giving his best against a challenger that outclasses everyone. I feel like he performed a bit better than Alves did, to be honest. Alves wasn't on the ground the entire time, and he (being one of the most dangerous strikers in WW) was outstruck. So while he might not be GSP worthy, with a few months training on Takedown defense, I feel like he could give Fitch his first loss since GSP.

Hardy won't get another shot. He has little to no chance of getting by any of the top guys in the division. As was mentioned earlier, he got his shot only because there was no one better to give it to. I thought he looked terrible in the fight and the only thing he did that was impressive was not tap. Alves did much much better. He stood up several times and got on top of GSP for a decent amount of time.

Saying he could beat Fitch makes me do this . That fight would probably look just like GSP vs Hardy except hopefully fitch would break his arm instead of letting him of the hook.

GSP was nice to him in that fight, and that's the only reason he went home with all of his limbs in place.

PS. I'm not trying to talk up GSP here. I think he's very beatable, just not by Hardy.

Post #17   4/3/10 6:16:46PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Hardy won't get another shot. He has little to no chance of getting by any of the top guys in the division. As was mentioned earlier, he got his shot only because there was no one better to give it to. I thought he looked terrible in the fight and the only thing he did that was impressive was not tap. Alves did much much better. He stood up several times and got on top of GSP for a decent amount of time.

Saying he could beat Fitch makes me do this . That fight would probably look just like GSP vs Hardy except hopefully fitch would break his arm instead of letting him of the hook.

GSP was nice to him in that fight, and that's the only reason he went home with all of his limbs in place.

PS. I'm not trying to talk up GSP here. I think he's very beatable, just not by Hardy.

I respect your opinion, but you have to consider where hardy trains and who he trains with. You know for a fact that he'll be flying in the best wrestlers he can find to take him down and beat his ass until he learns to stop it. I'm not a hardy fan as far as fighting goes. I respect his intelligence, and he might be an ok guy, but he's just way to cocky for me. However, I do believe that he's humble enough to realize what needs to be done, and try and do it. He went to serra in the primetime episode, and everyone said "cool, the guy that beat him when he was half as good as he is now." Well, you didn't see him working his striking there, he was mainly working his BJJ with matt. Excellent. If Hardy is half the man I think he is, he'll pull a Koscheck and start training 90% groundwork (especially Takedown D) and barely 10% striking. I feel like he can really pull of the upsets over top contenders. Maybe not Kos (I'm biased there) but Definitely fitch.

Post #18   4/3/10 6:38:50PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
I think in a year or two Hardy will be better than he was vs. GSP and I think it would take that long for him to get anothe title shot. Yet in that time I do not think that GSP will get worse, he will only improve. GSP needs to move up a division or the UFC needs to sign Sheilds and Nick Diaz to challenge the WW king.

Post #19   4/3/10 9:09:56PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
GSP has already said when he reaches a certain walking around weight he's moving up. He walks around at about 195-200 now. I gaurantee you he'll move up by this time next year, or shortly after he beats shields.

Post #20   4/3/10 9:50:06PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,316-1,241
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
No way Hardy even beats Fitch, not a chance in hell IMO.

If that fight happens, please someone PM me for an AV bet.

Hardy got taken down by Yoshida when he fought him, awhile ago, but still....Hardy showed nothing in his fight against GSP that would lead anyone to believe he could stop Fitch or Kos's wrestling.

Post #21   4/3/10 11:28:40PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
Those are some pretty lame comments by Hardy.
It bothers me when a fighter says things like this even though they did nothing offensive in a clearly one sided fight in which they were on the wrong end of.This is the kind of thing Tank Abbot or Tito Ortiz would do by making excuses or saying that "if they are ever in there with me again I am going to put such a wooping on him."
Eventually their will be welterwieghts who come up and can give GSP a difficult time.Dan Hardy is not one of them.

Post #22   4/4/10 12:52:55AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Hardy needs to let this one go and move forward. He was beaten in every way shape and form that night.

Post #23   4/4/10 5:55:37PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

"I may have lost on Saturday night..."

...So there's a chance that you may not have lost the fight?

Post #24   4/5/10 11:29:59AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2