Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

NJ Commission Clarifies Why Pellegrino's Face Plant Was Legal

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
When Kurt Pellegrino freed himself of a rear-naked choke by face planting his opponent into the canvas at this past weekend's UFC 111 event, one question quickly came to mind: How in the hell did Fabricio Camoes survive that? A second question soon followed: Isn't head-spiking illegal in mixed martial arts? According to the New Jersey State Athletic Board's Nick Lembo, not entirely. As Lembo explains, the move was allowed because it didn't come in the form of an illegal "piledriver," a type of head spike in which a fighter has control over his opponent. In the lightweight contest, Camoes took his opponent's back, secured his hooks, and worked for the rear-naked choke, all while Pellegrino remained in a standing position. Unable to shake free from his fellow jiu-jitsu ace, Pellegrino, who was already hunched over, dove into the mat and sent Camoes' head and neck crashing into the canvas. The move knocked Camoes loose – and briefly knocked him out cold. He awoke quickly after getting tagged with a couple punches, and though the fight continued, Pellegrino ultimately ended the bout with his own rear-naked choke at the 4:20 mark of the second round. The fact that Camoes was the one initiating the submission is an important point. "It should be noted that when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent, they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent's body," Lembo wrote. "The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position or let go of the hold before being slammed to the canvas."

Article

Post #1   3/31/10 6:29:56AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
that was a great fight!

Post #2   3/31/10 11:21:34AM   

NewGuy

Bas Will Destroy Your Liver

NewGuy Avatar

Career:1,348-774
Chips:
Should have been fight of the night IMO

Post #3   3/31/10 11:32:49AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I'm torn on this on one hand I hate to see a guy work a beautiful sub into place only to be slammed in a last ditch effort to escape a loss. On the other hand raw power is part of fighting.

Post #4   3/31/10 12:04:43PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Yeah, go UFC- a technical battle between two warriors loses FOTN honors to two sloppy brawlers! That's what the fans want to see!! Go idiot with the tapout shirt on in the audience!!

Post #5   3/31/10 12:13:40PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
Comoes let himself get into a dangerous situation he could have bailed. it was his choice to hang in there.

my favorite fight that night!

Post #6   3/31/10 1:54:34PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Great fight, with a ton of sub attempts and I don't mind the head plant move when the opponent is on your back, it's not like he has an advantage in position.

"The move knocked Camoes loose – and briefly knocked him out cold. He awoke quickly after getting tagged with a couple punches"

This was a quote from the article, so I rewatched the fight and I am left wonering what fight they were watching??

First of all, Camoes never went out and secondly it was 55 seconds after the head plant that Pellegrino even threw a strike. He went from head plant to reversal and got Camoes back, then Camoes escapes throws up a couple of sub attempts and only after all of that did Pellegrino through a strike. Leaves you wondering about what the heck they were talking about

Post #7   3/31/10 2:41:49PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
i read a pellegrino quote where he said he thought he knocked camoes out with the slam. he said he looked over his shoulder and saw his eyes rolled back but the ref couldnt see cause camoes was on top of him, and then he came back after he hit him a couple times trying to get up. im sure thats what they were going off of

Post #8   3/31/10 5:41:03PM