Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Maia vs Palhares????

Print  
Maia vs Palhares, Who would win??
Palhares 11 35%
Maia 20 65%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CaranoGirl

MMA Regular

CaranoGirl Avatar

Career:1,087-606
Camp: The Fight Show
Chips:
Just was thinking about what would happen if these two fought in the UFC. What do you guys think

Post #1   3/30/10 1:14:26PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Moved to the Lounge.

Post #2   3/30/10 1:29:23PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,138-1,716
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think palhares would win, due to his superior wrestling skills and submission defense.

Post #3   3/30/10 1:40:47PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,555-917
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I hope this fight happens if (when) Maia loses the Anderson Silva!!!!!

I would really like to see this match-up and I had never even thought of it before!

Post #4   3/30/10 2:06:28PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
I'd predict that Palahares would try and strike. Demian Maia is worse in striking than he is, and really is one of the best BJJ fighters in the UFC

Post #5   3/30/10 3:10:40PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I think palhares would win, due to his superior wrestling skills and submission defense.

Don't want to bust balls but there's no way that Palhares has superior wrestling to Maia. Maia's wrestling in off the charts. If he gets his hands on you he's going to get you to the floor. The guy finishes practically every takedown he attempts and he's far more versitile in his takedowns as well. I'd have to go back and watch a few Palhares fights to refresh my memory but all I can think of is how he had absolutely no hope in getting Hendo to the floor for the duration of 15 minutes.

While at the same time the first image that comes t mind when I think of Maia was his magnifisant lateral drop on Chael Sonnen who is probably the best technical wrestler in the entire division.

Maia's got the more technical Jitz too. He and Jacare are head and shoulders above anyone else in the division imo. If Maia and Palhares were to scrap it would be up to Maia as to where the fight takes place. And if he decided that it needed to go to the floor he'd be the one in dominant position.

Not sure it'd be a fight for the casual auddience but I'd be all over that bout for sure.

Last edited 3/30/10 4:11PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/30/10 3:13:28PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by tepid55

Don't want to bust balls but there's no way that Palhares has superior wrestling to Maia. Maia's wrestling in off the charts. If he gets his hands on you he's going to get you to the floor. The guy finishes practically every takedown he attempts and he's far more versitile in his takedowns as well. I'd have to go back and watch a few Palhares fights to refresh my memory but all I can think of is how he had absolutely no hope in getting Hendo to the floor for the duration of 15 minutes.

While at the same time the first image that comes t mind when I think of Maia was his magnifisant lateral drop on Chael Sonnen who is probably the best technical wrestler in the entire division.

Maia's got the mor technical Jitz too. Heand Jacare are head and shoulders above anyone else in the division imo. If Maia and Palhares were to scrap it would be up to Maia as to where the fight takes place. And if he decided that it needed to go to the floor he'd be the one in dominant position.

Not sure it'd be a fight fr the casual auddience but I'd be all over that bout for sure.

I don't know man. Paul Harris took down Hendo in a way that nobody else has ever done. The only fight of his that I am not impressed with is the Horn fight...and I believe he had a hand injury for that fight. And Maia has struggled some with mid-level BJJ guys...relatively speaking.

Post #7   3/30/10 3:32:55PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Chips:
A little off subject here...

But why do I keep reading people referring to Palhares as "Paul Harris" ? Did I miss something?

Post #8   3/30/10 3:50:02PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
The only time I can remember Maia "struggling" was when hes worked on his striking during a match. If you're referring to the MacDonald fight; I'd have to go back and watch again but I'm pretty sure he had Jason on the defensive the entire fight. I know there were some nice scrambles, but MacDonald never really mounted any true grappling offense. Sure, it took Maia 3 rounds to get it done, but I think it's be a stretch to say he struggled at any point in that fight.

It was basically the equivilant of a striker snapping the jab out there all day long and working toward the KO in the third while slipping his opponents punches the whole fight.

MacDonald carried it to the third but I don't ever remember him really being in that fight.

Last edited 3/30/10 4:15PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   3/30/10 3:51:25PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Chips:
When I said he struggled, I meant with finishing the fight...and TDs as well. If McDonald would've had a better game plan, we may have seen a different outcome. He played to Maia's strength and survived for a couple of rounds, but it was ultimately his undoing. It took Maia til the middle of round 2 to finish Ed Herman...and was unable to finish Dan Miller. Paul Harris has had better results against better competition IMO.

Post #10   3/30/10 6:04:28PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

But why do I keep reading people referring to Palhares as "Paul Harris" ? Did I miss something?

Easier to spell and pronounce.That is all

Post #11   3/30/10 6:37:56PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Chips:

Posted by Caesarrrr

I'd predict that Palahares would try and strike. Demian Maia is worse in striking than he is, and really is one of the best BJJ fighters in the UFC

Maia's one of the best Brazilian jiu-jitsu practicioners. Period.

If this find stays on the ground, Maia wins 9 times out of 10. He may not submit Palhares, but he would stifle Palhares to an extent that the winner would be obvious.

Post #12   3/30/10 6:49:39PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Chips:
Id take palhares in an instant. Theres no way Maia is going to sub him, and palhares will be on top the entire match.

Palhares has the better wrestling than Maia, there is no doubt about that. Maia has very good judo takedowns, but if its not from the clinch hes not going to have anything impressive. Also, palhares will just slam maia from the clinch.

Post #13   3/30/10 8:01:41PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,552-908
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It would be a good match, I'd pick Maia in a BJJ match but Palhares is a little better suited for MMA at this point, it would be a definite split decision, I expect Palhares to be on top and get some slams, but I think Maia has the edge in submissions.

Post #14   3/30/10 9:24:35PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Because that's what his last name sounds like heh.

Post #15   3/30/10 9:44:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2