Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Roy Nelson Has an Eye on the Heavyweight Belt

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Roy Nelson isn't like most Ultimate Fighter winners. Nelson, who won Season 10 of the UFC's reality show, has already been the heavyweight champion of an MMA promotion (the International Fight League), and at age 33 he doesn't plan on fighting much longer.

So Nelson, who's preparing for his first post-Ultimate Fighter bout on Wednesday night when he takes on Stefan Struve on Spike TV, doesn't want to be particularly patient about getting a shot at the UFC heavyweight belt. In an interview with MMAFighting.com, Nelson said he wants to test himself against the best heavyweights in the world, and he wants to do it sooner rather than later.

The full interview is below.

LINK

Post #1   3/30/10 9:18:51AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Nelson will prove to be a strong mid-tier HW contender but I never see him getting big wins over monsters like Lesnar or JDS. One thing i've noticed and perhaps it's just in his fighting style but Nelson seems to have a very short reach when he's striking and at times has to eat a few shots before he gets the distance between him and the opponent solid enough to start landing.
I would love to see him go far in the UFC but i'm not counting on it.

Post #2   3/30/10 1:03:34PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i'd love to see Roy shock the world and rise to the top. I think his only chance of that would be to mix up his training more (it sounds like he has a routine and pretty much sticks to it) and get to working w/some elite people in each area. Otherwise he's probably like Gabriel Gonzaga....crazy potential but kinda of stuck in gatekeeper status. I hope I'm wrong or he makes necessary changes to step it up even further.

Post #3   3/30/10 2:08:59PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I'd like to see Nelson get some big wins and think hd is capable of a few. But again, the giant wrestlers are gonna give him some big problems. I can't see him beating Lesnar or Carwin.

Post #4   3/31/10 11:59:01AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I want to see him fight:

1. Ben Rothwell
2. Cheick Kongo
3. Frank Mir

All of those fights could be interesting. His wrestling is also better than people give him credit for. Had he been allowed to keep superiour position on Arlovski, he would have had another surprising win on his resume.

Post #5   4/1/10 5:18:40PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

I want to see him fight:

1. Ben Rothwell
2. Cheick Kongo
3. Frank Mir

All of those fights could be interesting. His wrestling is also better than people give him credit for. Had he been allowed to keep superiour position on Arlovski, he would have had another surprising win on his resume.

exact match ups i'd like to see in the exact order i'd like to see them.

Last edited 4/1/10 5:40PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   4/1/10 5:40:36PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by EliasG

I want to see him fight:

1. Ben Rothwell
2. Cheick Kongo
3. Frank Mir

exact match ups i'd like to see in the exact order i'd like to see them.

Ha, I would like to see them in the exact Opposite order... (I would like to see the IFL HW's fight a few more UFC HW's before the rematch)

Post #7   4/1/10 5:47:51PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
id actually kind of like to see him fight gonzaga

Post #8   4/1/10 7:54:49PM