Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cain Velasquez Next For Lesnar-Carwin Winner

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Even if Shane Carwin is able to face Brock Lesnar in July as planned, Cain Velasquez is getting his title shot anyway. Dana White has confirmed that Velasquez will be next in line for the Lesnar-Carwin winner in July and will not fight again until then. And for those wondering about Junior Dos Santos, he will have to fight again before his shot-the question is when and against who. Perhaps one Francisco Santos Mir III? Dana says no decision yet but it's a possibility.

Article

Post #1   3/29/10 8:24:43AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
That would make the most sense right now. If this fight happens I think Frank is getting KOed again.

Post #2   3/29/10 8:58:15AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
If you look at the guys Cain's beat and the guys JDS has beaten. It is clear that JDS deserves a title shot before Cain. This guy is insane! He has finished a who's who of heavy weights. The most intriguing match up for JDS is Kongo and since Cain beat him it only makes sense that he should beat him as well. However, Kongo might be a better striker than JDS, remember Cain had to take him down and gnp for the victory. The UFC will be risking a lost for JDS against Kongo so Mir might be the best match for him.

Post #3   3/29/10 9:10:34AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BigIP

If you look at the guys Cain's beat and the guys JDS has beaten. It is clear that JDS deserves a title shot before Cain. This guy is insane! He has finished a who's who of heavy weights. The most intriguing match up for JDS is Kongo and since Cain beat him it only makes sense that he should beat him as well. However, Kongo might be a better striker than JDS, remember Cain had to take him down and gnp for the victory. The UFC will be risking a lost for JDS against Kongo so Mir might be the best match for him.

d

I think Mir is a lot more dangerous fight for Dos Santos than Kongo is. Kongo will strike and play his game. Mir will try and take him down and submit him.

Post #4   3/29/10 9:38:26AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by BigIP

d

I think Mir is a lot more dangerous fight for Dos Santos than Kongo is. Kongo will strike and play his game. Mir will try and take him down and submit him.

I disagree, JDS is a BBJ brown belt. I think JDS will try to stand with Kongo, instead of taking him down and submitting him.

Post #5   3/29/10 9:47:33AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
kongo's striking is pretty overrated IMO. I think Dos Santos would plow through him pretty easily. Kongo doesn't have the best stopping power. His record would indicate that he does, but the majority of his KO stoppages are actually TKOs from cumulative damage, not true KOs.

For me this says that Kongo probably wouldn't be able to KO Dos Santos, and since Dos Santos has what I would consider to be a pretty sizable speed advantage I think it would be a rough night for Kongo on the feet or the ground. I don't really see how Kongo would win this fight.

Mir on the other hand is a next-level BJJ practitioner. The kind of black belt that can submit a brown belt pretty damn easily if he gets the fight onto the ground. Far more dangerous for Dos Santos than Kongo. Honestly even Frank's striking is probably more dangerous than Kongo's within MMA at this point.

Post #6   3/29/10 9:56:50AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Dana is protecting dos Santos by not having Cain thrash him and because he needs a heavyweight striker to hype up. Frank Mir is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport.

Post #7   3/29/10 11:03:36AM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Chips:
In my opinion Mir got lucky against Congo. His BJJ is good but he got a little to overconfident in his striking and tried to stand with Carwin. Big mistake! He should have tried to take Carwin down and submit him. Hindsight is 20/20...

Post #8   3/29/10 11:09:35AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,065-635
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Dana is protecting dos Santos by not having Cain thrash him and because he needs a heavyweight striker to hype up. Frank Mir is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport.

I disagree. We all know his bjj is top knotch. We also know he doesn't have the punching power of Lesnar or Carwin. Still tho, he picked Nog apart, landed a debilitating punch on Kongo, and survived longer than anyone else has against Carwin, even while playing his game. I don't see how he's overrated. Top 4 I'd say.

Post #9   3/29/10 11:14:38AM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
why not have junior fight cain?

Post #10   3/29/10 11:30:53AM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by CCPRIDE99

why not have junior fight cain?

it makes too much sense I guess. instead of having them fight around the same time as carwin and lesnar and having the winners face off with similar times off between fights they'd rather have junior fight a can or a new comer and make valasquez who fought a month ago wait until october to fight. smart i must say. as for mir he just went brock, nog, brock, kongo, and carwin, he needs a guy outside of the top 5. gonzaga is interesting, cro cop, rothwell something like that

Post #11   3/29/10 11:43:56AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,976-1,224
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
id really like to see carwin vs cain... i think either guy could win. carwins hands obviouls are very dangerous and id think cain would have to really utilize his craftiness, speed, and wrestling to avoid those block hands

but this is very far down the line if it even happens..

Post #12   3/29/10 11:55:48AM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
I'd love to see the JDS and valasquez fight, but you have to understand that right now they're 3 and 4 in the division, with Mir being destroyed. The UFC already has a problem in three weight classes finding legitimate challengers, so they don't want to see JDS and Cain out of the picture.

As to JDS fighting Mir/Kongo, I think Mir is the better choice. Mir has shown time and time again that he is very talented and has recently been rededicated, but he also has this annoying habit of striking with guys that are too much for him, like JDS. However, its a big name fight, compared to congo. Fight wise the UFC will use Kongo to test up and comers, and Mir as a gatekeeper to the elites, much like gonzaga is. I see Mir v JDS very soon.

Post #13   3/29/10 1:56:15PM   

TheBestEVER

MMA Regular

TheBestEVER Avatar

Career:519-308
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
They are giving Cain a shot because he could potentially be the UFC's biggest heavyweight sensation if he can knock of the winner of Lesnar/Carwin. They give JDS a fight that favors his stand up and then set up another huge fight with JDS and Cain.

Post #14   3/29/10 2:56:48PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,796-1,566
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by TheBestEVER

They are giving Cain a shot because he could potentially be the UFC's biggest heavyweight sensation if he can knock of the winner of Lesnar/Carwin. They give JDS a fight that favors his stand up and then set up another huge fight with JDS and Cain.

I think you're right, and if JDS gets an amazing KO over a guy like Mir before getting a shot, his stock will rise dramatically.

Post #15   3/29/10 3:02:23PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2