Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

best option to fight against GSP @ 170?

Print  
best option to fight against GSP @ 170?
Jon Fitch 10 26%
Thiago Alves 1 3%
Paul Daley 3 8%
Josh Koscheck 15 38%
Ricardo Almeida 5 13%
other 5 13%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

eyeforeigneye

MMA Regular

eyeforeigneye Avatar

Career:491-288
Chips:
In my opinion, I'd love to see St. Pierre give Ricardo Almeida a try.. here's my reasons why:
- Alves, Fitch, and Koscheck are all decent opponents, but would probably all see the same result as the first time they fought GSP. Alves would be taken down and beaten on all night long again, Fitch would get pieced up on the feet, and Koscheck would probably get out-wrestled again.
- Paul Daley's fight style is very simular to Dan Hardy.. explosive striker? yes. ready to avoid the best takedown in the game? no.
- Paulo Thiago would be interesting, but would like to see another fight or two before getting a shot.
- Rumble Johnson needs to actually win a few fights and makes sure he can make weight, and maybe he'd have a chance, but not any time soon.
- Amir Sadollah has looked pretty impressive the last few fights, but he's got a long way to go.
- Kampmann, Saunders, Swick, etc. all need to head back to the drawing board first.
- Almeida has looked great since his return, with the exception of a close split decision loss against Patrick Cote. He's a great grappler, has fairly decent strikes, and a total beast on the ground. Once he adjusts at 170, he will become the most intriguing fight option for St. Pierre. I'd love to see GSP try to work his grappling against an experienced world class jiu-jitsu ace like Big Dog.

Post #1   3/28/10 3:07:37PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
Probably gonna be the winner of koscheck/Daley....though I would love to see fitch vs Kos(regardless of friendships I think they should fight, same with ANderson and MAchida)...I know Dana says there are interesting fights left at this weight for GSP but really in my opinion Jake Shields is the only fight that interests me at all and thats only possible should he come over...Its time for the champs to move up...Bj, GSP, and Anderson...only I would like to see Anderson fight Sonnen and Belfort before he does...though I believe he will win....GSP against DAley...I agree gonna be a repeat of last night...GSP is just too good of a wrestler and is too strong for anyone to stop him at this weight. I say next fight let him test the waters at MW like Anderson did with LH and in the meantime make fitch coach vs Daley(assuming he beats Kos) on the next TUf and they can fight for #1...I think fitch is more deserving the Kos being 12-1 in the UFC...

Post #2   3/28/10 3:34:10PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Koscheck Daley

Post #3   3/28/10 3:51:56PM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:
Nate Diaz.. Decent standup, great off his back, and this is were the fight would take place.

Can't see his brother Nick fight GSP, so this is the next best thing.

Post #4   3/28/10 6:26:19PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Crazy we wait 9 months for gsp to defend if he. Is tuf coach it would be another 9
Months to fight again. Best time to test the waters at middleweight I say
Have him face a middle tier fighter like a alan belcher or maybe chael sonnen
Winner of grove vs munoz
Would be perfect for him right now if daley wins have him face fitch
Or kos face hardy or almeida

Post #5   3/28/10 6:57:28PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think Paulo Thiago should take on one more contendar and then get a shot....he has been impressive in all but one fight (Fitch) and maybe that should be the deciding factor....have them rematch for a title shot....both have to be considered in front of Daley Kos! (kos loss to P. Thiago and Daley only 2 wins in UFC)

Post #6   3/28/10 7:03:11PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
If there is one guy who will be able to contend with St. Pierre's takedowns, its Kos. Kos has good stand up and great wrestling. Kos didnt expect George to take him down in the first fight, but If he trained for that I think he could give a great fight to GSP.

Post #7   3/28/10 7:20:37PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
I think the winner Hendnricks v Shields should get the title shot.If Shields goes to UFC after getting destroyed by Henderson this match would make sense.

Post #8   3/28/10 7:58:08PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
id like to koscheck get a title shot. if he really trained like he should he could have a shot at the KO. he could probably defend the take down better. i would give fitch a shot too. fitch fights alot like couture, with a good clinch game. if he kept GSP in the clinch against the cage and forced him to fight his fight he could have a chance.

Post #9   3/28/10 8:17:15PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by StorminYourman

I think the winner Hendnricks v Shields should get the title shot.If Shields goes to UFC after getting destroyed by Henderson this match would make sense.

Hendricks??

Post #10   3/29/10 12:09:23AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by StorminYourman

Hendricks??

I can only assume this is a misspelling of "Hendrix" as in Jimi Hendrix.
Thus I can conclude that the rocker-ghost of Jimi Hendrix is going to duel Shields in a cage fight (if only in StorminYourman's mind).

I'll be picking Hendrix by way of face-shredding solo with some follow-up GnP guitar smashing.
I might pick Shields in this match if it was a living Hendrix, but ghost Hendrix should be nearly as untouchable as a pre-Shogun Machida....

Last edited 3/29/10 12:46AM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: spelling

Post #11   3/29/10 12:46:00AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The two most interesting matchups for Georges St. Pierre at welterweight are both in Strikeforce right now.

While I don't think Nick Diaz or Jake Shields could put together a 4- or 5-fight win streak in the UFC, I think they both provide interesting foils to Georges St. Pierre's game, especially Nick Diaz.

Within the UFC? I'm a little interested in a Koscheck rematch. I think he's become a little more intelligent fighter than the last time out, and he's the last fighter that won a single round against GSP.

Post #12   3/29/10 1:28:21AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by StorminYourman

Hendricks??

I can only assume this is a misspelling of "Hendrix" as in Jimi Hendrix.
Thus I can conclude that the rocker-ghost of Jimi Hendrix is going to duel Shields in a cage fight (if only in StorminYourman's mind).

I'll be picking Hendrix by way of face-shredding solo with some follow-up GnP guitar smashing.
I might pick Shields in this match if it was a living Hendrix, but ghost Hendrix should be nearly as untouchable as a pre-Shogun Machida....

That's a lot of faith to have in Johny Hendricks after two UFC fights.

I'm going with Almeida. He looks great at 170, and his grappling is top notch.

Post #13   3/29/10 1:29:29AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Koscheck vs Daly, then reschedule Alves vs Fitch and have the winner take the next one.

Post #14   3/29/10 9:02:01AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't even care anymore. I just want a shake up in the division. Move up to 185, Georges. PLEASE.

Post #15   3/29/10 9:24:19AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2