Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GSP Was Not Impressed With His Performance

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Seriously. Evidently an absolutely dominant peformance and almost lopsided decision marks over Dan Hardy weren't good enough for the champ, who has other hopes for the fight. "I was not that pleased about my performance. I won, but I haven’t beat my performance of last time, so I’m not happy. I wanted to finish, you know, have a clean win and for me, like this, it’s not clean. I forgot the technical element of it. Sometimes those technical details make the difference. I wanted to go 100 percent. I trained (submissions) to break. At one point, I was like, ‘Man, I think I broke his shoulder,’ and then one time I thought I’d broke his arm when I had the juju-gatame. I heard like ‘click, click.’ It was completely extended. I believe my standup is superior (to Hardy’s), but it could have been a risk because that’s his main asset."

Article

Post #1   3/28/10 11:53:24AM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:
man hardy is a warrior the only thing gsp could have done was just take hardy's arm home with him clearly hardy didn't give a f*** he wasn't tapping that was nuts

WAR Hardy

Post #2   3/28/10 12:06:05PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I know it was utter domination, but I was not impressed. He did what everyone thought he should be able to do, but he couldn't finish the fight. I said going in that if he didn't finish it was going to be a "YAWN" performance for me.

I was far more impressed that Dan Hardy lasted basically 25 minutes on the ground with GSP, and he escaped a couple submissions that looked completely locked in. He's going to be a better fighter from this experience.

Post #3   3/28/10 12:08:38PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by karn501

man hardy is a warrior the only thing gsp could have done was just take hardy's arm home with him clearly hardy didn't give a f*** he wasn't tapping that was nuts

WAR Hardy

I gotta spread the love, but I couldn't agree with you more.

WAR HARDY.

Post #4   3/28/10 12:09:34PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I know it was utter domination, but I was not impressed. He did what everyone thought he should be able to do, but he couldn't finish the fight. I said going in that if he didn't finish it was going to be a "YAWN" performance for me.

I was far more impressed that Dan Hardy lasted basically 25 minutes on the ground with GSP, and he escaped a couple submissions that looked completely locked in. He's going to be a better fighter from this experience.

Dan Hardy didn't even really escape those submissions. He just sat there without tapping until GSP let him go.

Post #5   3/28/10 12:13:12PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by RyanC

Dan Hardy didn't even really escape those submissions. He just sat there without tapping until GSP let him go.

It worked.

Post #6   3/28/10 12:28:04PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by RyanC

Thats not true about the arm bar, Hardy escaped the armbar by turning his body over and getting the pressure off the joint.
The Kimura however did look like GSP let off it for Hardy to escape. Maybe GSP didn't really want to hurt him??

Post #7   3/28/10 12:53:45PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
While Hardy wasn't as impressive as I expected, I give him a lot of credit and respect for not giving up and tapping. He lost on the scorecards but in my book he won by lasting the 5 rounds and not quitting.

Post #8   3/28/10 1:06:01PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I too was impressed but I do not think his course of action is well advised for future GSP opponents....nor do I think Hardy's future opponents will have that kind of compassion for him....if it's going to break, if your going to pass out....you should tap, it'll let you fight again in three months instead of 6 months plus.

Post #9   3/28/10 1:34:35PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Well, he still dominated every second of the fight.

Post #10   3/28/10 1:58:40PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,252-1,525
Chips:
I think it was a great fight. While GSP "dominated" Hardy...Hardy had a whole lot of heart and really good defense on the ground actually. Hardy fended GSP off for 25 minutes. I don't think you can take anything away from either fighter. Take a look at what GSP did to John Fitch...Fitch looked like a "monster" at the press conference after their fight. GSP pounded the crap out of Fitch...GSP barely damaged Hardy. I am a GSP fan...but I was really impressed by Hardy last night. I think Hardy will learn a lot from that fight...and come back at a higher caliber.

Post #11   3/28/10 2:37:31PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Dan HEARTy, brutal little joke there...but my point still stands.

I wish St.Pierre had more killer instinct... He was in so many dominant positions but wouldn't posture up and start hammering down... that's my only knock on GSP, finish fights...we know you have amazing cardio, and grappling, lets see your killer instinct.

Post #12   3/28/10 2:37:43PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Im dissapointed GSP couldnt finish him. BJ Penn has finished every title fight at lightweight...
GSP 's takedowns are fun 2 watch,but without the finish, its not worth the money. a one rd with carwin and a bunch of ud's is not worth the money, im glad I didnt buy it. They need to chill with all the ppv's and put the fights on spike tv. Having couture vs some guy every month on ppv is not worth it imo. Maybe SF has the right idea making their event have 3 titles for free!!!

Last edited 3/28/10 9:46PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   3/28/10 5:10:32PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
Couple of things here:

GSP kind of disappointed me here he normally stands a little and times the taedown, this fight he just went for the takedown and even w alves he beat em up and then stood w him in the later rounds

i give credit for hardy's heart but what were u doing the last 8 weeks? he didn't have a sprawl he didn't even like throw a homerun shot (ie knees) to make gsp pay for it. I know it doesn't count for much but all his primetime training the guy was basically ontop, i rarely saw him on the top (why did u think u were going to be on top at any point of the fight?) there is a case for fighters bringing the best out of other fighters I think penn did it and so did fitch Hardy didn't bring the best out of GSP

I know he didn't get the finish but if u look at the top 5 guys (fitch,alves, koscheck, and hardy) the majority of the welterweight division for some reason isn't finishing guys lately.

all in all I think it is time for GSP to finally move to middleweight I'm interested to see a rematch with kosheck and not w fitch, i think hazelett is the only guy who really threatens gsp cause of his guard but hes kind of low on the rankings right now

Post #14   3/28/10 5:33:11PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
he shouldn't be impressed.

Post #15   3/28/10 5:39:29PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3