Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 111 suspensions: Palhares receives disciplinary action, Riddle out indefinitely

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,585-1,609
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by tallica62 illegal upkick by soto and riddle couldnt finish the fight..needs to be cleared wit CT scan
Thanks, no kidding about Hardy. I thought it was over when GSP had the arm bar

Post #16   3/28/10 12:20:27PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
Palhares did nothing wrong the ref took too long to stop the fight palhares had his head turned to the side eyes cloced and he is a strong guy blame this on a ref out of position not the fighter this ia no sobral choke out

Post #17   3/28/10 1:12:44PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,973-1,220
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by submissionartist1

Palhares did nothing wrong the ref took too long to stop the fight palhares had his head turned to the side eyes cloced and he is a strong guy blame this on a ref out of position not the fighter this ia no sobral choke out

you need to watch that video again...he was clearly getting tapped on real hard by dwarl, plus he kept cranking for a good 2 seconds after the ref tried breaking him up... ull see the ref actually tryin to pry his arms off of his leg

Post #18   3/28/10 3:56:57PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
IMO I would release Palhares, and ban him from the UFC. There is no need for that. This ends here.

Post #19   3/28/10 4:57:16PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
And for people who haven't seen the fight look it up, its disgusting. Its bad that Drwal slipped on the damn decal too...just...there needs to be a rematch when Drwal is better.

Post #20   3/28/10 5:03:36PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
justified suspension. ive watched it about 5 times now and the ref seemed to respond immediately but he was far away.

Post #21   3/28/10 5:48:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
A heel hook like that is nothing to be toyed around with. I thought at first it was a straight ankle lock but then I saw him turn it over a little bit and knew Drwal was absolutely finished. There was no reason to keep cranking on it like he did. An injury like that could end a fighter's career.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but I almost think heel hooks and inverted heel hooks should be banned from MMA competition. It's near impossible to pull one off "for real" without injuring someone. It's basically the equivalent of small joint manipulations which are illegal.

Post #22   3/28/10 6:20:17PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Maybe 2 seconds extra in slow motion, but after the ref tapped palhares there was a little time the lock was held for. I think this is like the Rampage v. wanderlei situation where everybody was saying rampage hit him 3 times extra unnecasarily but, Clearly, it was just one after the ref touched him.

Post #23   3/28/10 6:27:29PM   

Nitrus

Proud to be Brazilian

Nitrus Avatar

Career:1,455-838
Chips:
Everybody which knows Palhares since he was just another guy fighting for his future here in brazil, knows that he's a GREAT guy. Total class, gold heart, and everything good.
I can't deny that he holded the lock for more than what was necessary, but, imagine if he free dwral leg, and it become something like CB x Amir fight.. where he said I didn't tap, and we gotta see the tapes and all that stuff. The fight is over, when the ref steps in. He did his job.

Post #24   3/28/10 6:51:55PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
Im not a JJ guy butdont you know when a hold is in deep? arent you positive that someone is gonna tap if they have a brain? Why wouldnt you at least lighten up the hold if you feel your opponent tap? then wait for the Ref to step in?

Post #25   3/28/10 7:37:30PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

ref should have jumped in faster he was no where in site when the heel hook got locked,
90 days means nothing fights are booked up till july

Right on, Mullholland(sp) should have been on top of it. I didnt think it was that bad on Palhares' part. You cant tell by the tape but he probably had his eyes closed, squeezing on the ankle. And didnt see the ref till the second pull on his wrist. Seeing as he probably wasn't going to be fighting in the next 90 days anyways it isnt a big deal. A lot of guys here think it was bad sportsmanship though...I think it was a great sub and palhares went for it hard!! Thats the nature of the beast! Nobody wants to suspend Jon Jones for breaking Vera face in 4 places, for going hard...so why crucify Rousimar!?

Post #26   3/28/10 7:46:00PM   

bustin_mma

Standup Guy

bustin_mma Avatar

Career:1,489-869
Camp: Kame House
Chips:
The reason why Jones didnt get in trouble is because he didnt continue his attack after the referee tryed to stop the fight, Palhares did, i gaurantee you he felt Drwal tapping he has felt 1000 people do it. and the ref phyicaly touched him to stop the attack and he continued to crank the heel untill the ref literally had to gra Drwals foot to relieve the pressure. if you cant tell palhares held it way to long you need to watch the replay again or take a jiu jitsu class.

Post #27   3/28/10 8:06:27PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
I believe the replay in slow motion is the big problem here, Rogan was saying it was over 5 seconds that he was holding on to the sub, but he was watching a slowmotion replay so of course it is going to look worse. I took a stop watch and in real fight time speed, from the first tap Tomaz made 3.5 seconds lapsed before the ref pulled Palhares off and the ref did not get to him until after the 2nd second so it took less then a second to pull off palhares and I did this 5 times with the same results. (Every corner man tells their fighter not to stop until the ref steps in) with that in mind, I have no problem with Palhares not releasing the sub when Tomaz is taping and waiting for the ref to step in, but i do not agree with palhares holding on to the sub after the ref touches him and has to physically break the hold even though it only took a second to break the hold. I do believe the damage was already done before the ref had stepped in, but the extent might not have been as bad. I believe the same thing goes for striking as well there have been many fighters take unnecessary strikes after they are unconscience and it is completely obvious they are out cold ala Kieth Jardine he has had this happen to him several times. Even with the ref on some fighters backs pulling them off they will continue to throw shots. I believe that to be as big of a problem as fighters forcing refs to break their subs. I do believe if they punish one fighter then they need to make it a standard and not just pick and choose who gets punished and who don't.

Post #28   3/28/10 8:07:57PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by tdietel01

Im not a JJ guy butdont you know when a hold is in deep? arent you positive that someone is gonna tap if they have a brain? Why wouldnt you at least lighten up the hold if you feel your opponent tap? then wait for the Ref to step in?

In some instances, yes... but in others, no. As a matter of fact I've felt like I was about to break someone's arm before and they told me they hardly felt it. So it's not a good gauge of how effective your hold is.

I think Palhares is a good guy and that he didn't really want to hurt Drwal. I still think it was unnecessary, though. That's why I say heel hooks should be banned from competition. The long term ramifications from a serious heel hook can be devastating. Vs. an arm bar which can break an arm, but not completely devastate the joint to the point which a heel hook can.

Post #29   3/28/10 8:20:55PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
This is absolutely the refs fault for being too far away and not recognizing what was happening. You don't let go of the hold until the ref stops the fight, and he most certainly didn't hold it for two full seconds after the ref stopped it as Rogan was quick to point out.

If he let go of the hold before the ref got there, he's in a bad position to have Drwal come over the top and pound his noggin into the mat. It's the danger of heelhooks, and it's part of the game, but Palhares did nothing wrong, especially considering he apologized after the fact. There was no bad blood and Palhares isn't a mean-spirited fighter, so this is sad to punish the guy for winning a fight.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #30   3/28/10 9:54:07PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3