Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Did GSP take it easy?

Print  
Was GSP taking it easy on him?
Yes, he was being nice 10 21%
Yes, he lacks killer instinct 14 29%
No, he was just being conservative 8 17%
No, he gave it his all, HARDY IS A TOUGH SOB! 16 33%
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I would like to start by saying this is in no-way intended to take anything away from Dan Hardy. He showed an incredible amount of toughness and heart, the kid has no quit in him.

But GSP had two submissions completely locked on. The first time (arm bar) Hardy refused to tap and started to roll. Rather than try to hold him in place or follow him over on the arm bar (something relatively easy to do, especially for a fighter of GSP's caliber) he stood up. When he had the kimura locked on, Hardy did nothing to defend except for not tapping, and GSP let it go. GSP is a high level grappler and is in great shape. In both those cases he could have either broken his arm or torn out his shoulder, instead he let it go.

If you combine that with the limited striking (even though he clearly had the advantage) and almost no ground and pound worth of the name (even though he had several dominant positions) it seems to me like he was taking it easy on Hardy.

Post #1   3/28/10 2:53:47AM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
No doubt GSP is all skill but he just does not have enough to finish people, most of his fights are by DC

Post #2   3/28/10 2:59:24AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
watch the fight and see the techniques. Hardy was able to get out of those, and able to control GSP's posture enough that striking wasnt going to work. I do believe with the kimura GSP didnt want to hurt him in that instance just because he stopped, looked at the ref and clearly took a moment to think what he should do. I think he realized Dan wasnt tapping no matter what. I also think hardy was saved by the bell on some of the subs cant remember though?.

Anyway Hardy is tough and GSP didnt take it easy Hardy's technique was good, except the kimura thing GSP prolly could have tore that shoulder had he wanted......but still that doesnt stop fights.

Post #3   3/28/10 7:28:53AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tmas

watch the fight and see the techniques. Hardy was able to get out of those, and able to control GSP's posture enough that striking wasnt going to work. I do believe with the kimura GSP didnt want to hurt him in that instance just because he stopped, looked at the ref and clearly took a moment to think what he should do. I think he realized Dan wasnt tapping no matter what. I also think hardy was saved by the bell on some of the subs cant remember though?.

Anyway Hardy is tough and GSP didnt take it easy Hardy's technique was good, except the kimura thing GSP prolly could have tore that shoulder had he wanted......but still that doesnt stop fights.

I beg to differ. If he dislocated his shoulder then Hardy would have been unable to continue and GSP would've won by technical submission. And if you agree that he let the kimura go it sounds like you agree with me.

Post #4   3/28/10 11:49:59AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
he didnt let it go, hardy got out because GSP took a moment to decide.....and you can fight with a dislocated shoulder, a broken arm etc.

Post #5   3/28/10 12:00:17PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tmas

he didnt let it go, hardy got out because GSP took a moment to decide.....and you can fight with a dislocated shoulder, a broken arm etc.

Apparently the ref's and athletic commissions aren't aware of that. Remember when Frank Mir broke Tim Sylvia's arm and Herb Dean stopped the fight?

Just for fun, here's the definition of a TKO from the New Jersey State Athletic Commission

# Technical Knockout (TKO)

* Referee Stoppage: the referee may stop a match in progress if:
o a fighter becomes dominant to the point where the opponent is unable to intelligently defend himself from attacks, which may occur as quickly as a few seconds;
o a fighter appears to be unconscious from a grappling hold;
o a fighter appears to have developed significant injuries in the referee's view, such as a broken bone.

Post #6   3/28/10 6:32:04PM   

MrMcMachoman

Learning to Sprawl

MrMcMachoman Avatar

Career:281-214
Camp: C.O.B.
Chips:
I think this pretty much sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxzGu82Z_oE

This is not a link to the PPV.

Post #7   3/28/10 9:16:02PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
uhhh you definitely aren't allowed to continue fighting with a broken arm or torn shoulder ligaments, nor would he most likely be able to. Maybe a broken arm, depending on how it broke if the referee didn't see it.

Post #8   3/29/10 10:03:52AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by holt8081

No doubt GSP is all skill but he just does not have enough to finish people, most of his fights are by DC

He certainly had enough to finish whom most people consider one of the best fighters of all time.

I think the issue at hand is that everyone is wise to GSP's style and they prepare themselves to defend against it. The thing is, that's all they end up doing because the guy is relentless.

It can actually be difficult to finish a person that is putting 100% into defense.

Last edited 3/30/10 12:02AM server time by rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   3/30/10 12:00:16AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
First of all if you rewatch the fight GSP pushed the kimura as far as he could and then paused, Hardy seems to be very flexible. If you dont have a textbook position and hold some people are just flexible enough that they dont need to tap and GSP didn't have the kimura locked in as tight as he could have, the mat got in the way. I didn't feel Hardy was in too much trouble with the kimura and I've seen other fighters not have to tap out of them in that same position and in that same way.

Hardy just did a good job of defending himself so GSP didn't finish the fight IMO get over it. He fights smart and this is a sport, its not the WWEofMMA so fighters should fight to win first and foremost.

Last edited 3/30/10 8:23PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #10   3/30/10 8:19:14PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,426-852
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by holt8081

If DC means decision then I think you may be mistaken.

I believe Sherdog lists GSP as having won 7 decisions out of a total of 20 fights.

8 (T)KOs ( 40 %)
7 Decisions ( 35 %)
5 Submissions ( 25 %)

...Most of GSP's wins are finishes.

Post #11   3/30/10 8:35:58PM