Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

My problem with GSP....

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Biggz

Standup Guy

Biggz Avatar

Career:267-204
Camp: Untouchables
Chips:
tonight just made it worse. i think for some reason when he fights IMO GSP does not fight to win. he fights to not lose. I think he is content with just not losing. i have all the respect in the world for him and he is a great fighter which makes it even harder to watch for me. Granted, Hardy is one tough son of a bitch. MAD RESPECT for not tapping. i just think he really should be finishing 90% of his fights. and whats with his corner telling him to not pass guard? and i know a common defense for him is that "he just takes the fight to where his opponents are weakest." and i understand that part of the fight game. i know i am just ranting but does anyone else feel anything like this? long story short i feel like he should finish a F*&%$$G FIGHT! i know that is easy for me to say from my living room and keyboard

Post #1   3/28/10 2:07:31AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I just think you're not giving Dan Hardy, Jon Fitch, or Thiago Alves enough credit.

He finished Serra and BJ pretty convincingly.

He tried his ass off to finish Fitch but Fitch was just too tough.

He got hurt against Alves (pulled groin)

Against Hardy he was up against probably one of the toughest fighters on the planet. Had it not been Hardy in there he probably would have finished 90% of the other UFC WW's with those submissions.

So you should focus on giving those guys credit instead of giving GSP hell.

Post #2   3/28/10 2:18:30AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Yeah I think this will decide IMO where he ranks at the end of his career along with BJ, Anderson, and Fedor and all the other all time greats. They might be a little higher because of their killer instinct. I know is style is the easiest style to finish with compared to Anderson Silva but I think he should have took Hardy's arm off. Can't wait for Daley-Kos and Kos-Hardy. Some sick sick fights!!!! Hopefully Kos can rise up then as the next Contender for GSP! Somebody with GSP caliber wrestling with better boxing this time to give GSP a good fight like Kos this far into his career. I wanna see Fitch vs Alves, I think Fitch needs that before GSP. But GSP don't have another opponent though. I think GSP-BJ 3 isn't warranted right now but it'd be a great money making move and a great way to keep both guys busy until the next clear contender rises up, just an idea even though BJ is feeling good about stay down at 155 now with only taking baby steps up at 170 like anderson.

Post #3   3/28/10 2:22:08AM   

Biggz

Standup Guy

Biggz Avatar

Career:267-204
Camp: Untouchables
Chips:
i agree with both of you. good points. i gues like it was mentioned above, maybe im really just looking for someone to finally test him and MAKE it a fight. maybe 185 is the solution. i would also really like to see a kos vs gsp fight.

Last edited 3/28/10 2:28AM server time by biggz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/28/10 2:26:41AM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
I like when he fights cuz I get in a good nap and I wake up for the dec, poor guy just cant finish anybody off.

Post #5   3/28/10 2:31:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Yeah bro don't get me wrong it frustrates me too at times, but then I have to remind myself that his style is clearly superior and I'm a big supporter of imposing your style so what right do I have to talk smack? I honestly do think he would have finished guys who weren't Fitch or Hardy.

I think Anderson Silva would beat GSP but I'd really like to see that fight. At this point he's cleared out the division so why not?

Post #6   3/28/10 2:33:38AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't think it's a problem. Honestly I have a lot of respect for GSP. When he had those submissions locked in I think he probably could have torn Hardy's shoulder out of it's socket or snapped his elbow in two, but he knew he'd win the fight and he didn't feel like hurting Hardy.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Hardy, but I think GSP took it kinda easy on him. He didn't unload standing, he didn't throw a lot of ground and pound, and he focused mostly on jiu jitsu and positioning. When he had chances to finish the fight he let them go because Hardy wouldn't tap.

Post #7   3/28/10 2:43:58AM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
I dont think he should move up, he will be way to small at MW

Post #8   3/28/10 2:49:07AM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
IMO since he is the champ he can fight however he wants and until someone stops him, why not impose your will, even if it means not finishing a fight. on another note....... before the fight i really wanted to see hardyget destroyed. but seeing him hang in there with those sub attempts made me respect the **** out of him! i was highly impressed and hope he does well from now on.

Also alot of props to GSP for not breaking hardys arm or ripping out his shoulder. Im sure he figured he wouldnt lose and didnt want to cause unnecesary injury, i know its the name of thegame and is acceptable, but it was cool of him not to cause serious damage!

Post #9   3/28/10 3:07:53AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I hate how he fights, ever since the Serra thing it's been nothing but fighting safe. IMO it's not enough to be dominant, you need to be exciting and GSP isn't anymore IMO.

Post #10   3/28/10 4:33:48AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I just think you're not giving Dan Hardy, Jon Fitch, or Thiago Alves enough credit.

He finished Serra and BJ pretty convincingly.

He tried his ass off to finish Fitch but Fitch was just too tough.

He got hurt against Alves (pulled groin)

Against Hardy he was up against probably one of the toughest fighters on the planet. Had it not been Hardy in there he probably would have finished 90% of the other UFC WW's with those submissions.

So you should focus on giving those guys credit instead of giving GSP hell.

How bout Kos???Couldnt finish him either,and when they fight again if he fights not to lose Kos will take him he is a beast now.Fight not to lose or to win is still winning right??So i have no critiques for now until he meets someone who puts him away.

Post #11   3/28/10 6:35:57AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I think GSP could have finished the fight any time he wanted, he was just sticking to the game plan, George molested Hardy, he could have had any position he wanted, and choke or leg lock he wanted, could have had the mount anytime he wanted, GSP is a complete fighter and that includes listening to your corner (who happens to be the best corner man in the game) the entire fight he was listening to jackson , he even looked and asked "now?" and then passed guard.Jacksons plan was to work the arms so If Hardy got up, his striking would be neutralized, and thats what GSP did, if Jackson said "choke" the fight would have been over. GSP wants to give the fans their money worth as well as display his dominance, Id rather completely destroy the competition and make them look like rookies and cement my legacy rather then finish everyone off with quick submissions, sure he makes his opponents look good for going 5 rounds and all, but they all know he can finish the fight whenever he wants, he's done it in all his title defenses, and will continue to do so, dont look for any early stoppages from GSP, look for total obliteration over 5 rounds, thats the gameplan, and he'll follow it to a T

Post #12   3/28/10 7:28:14AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
Also, he's gaining 25 minutes of actual fight time every match which is 1000 times more usefull then a 1st round submission or TKO ,and when you're planning on moving up in weight to fight bigger stronger guys, fight experience is what you need.

You're making me think you're not fight fans.

Post #13   3/28/10 7:39:13AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I just think you're not giving Dan Hardy, Jon Fitch, or Thiago Alves enough credit. ....

.....So you should focus on giving those guys credit instead of giving GSP hell.

The problem I have isn't merely that GSP couldn't finish the above mentioned fighters, but that he is clearly much much better than than AND STIILL couldn't finish.
He is so much better than these other fighters (Dan Hardy, Jon Fitch, or Thiago Alves) and he can't or won't finish them.

Again, I don't have an issue when GSP fights and finishes guys because that's what he should be doing. However, given how much he outclassed all Dan Hardy and Alves, it bothers me that he didn't put them away.

This is probably all very biased though since I am not a fan of GSP as a fighter.

Last edited 3/28/10 10:06AM server time by State_Champ

Post #14   3/28/10 10:05:51AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Thread make Hulk angry...

Posted by Jackelope

Seriously. GSP almost broke Hardy's arm. Twice.

And here's the list of people who've subbed or knocked out Jon Fitch in the last seven years:

Last edited 3/28/10 10:11AM server time by AchillesHeel

Post #15   3/28/10 10:11:00AM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4