Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"The Ultimate Fighter 11" preview details new format with "wild-card" berths

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
With the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 11" just four days away, the UFC and Spike TV have released a five-minute preview clip available on the new official Web site of the series, UltimateFighter.com.

And while "TUF 11" coaches Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz were announced for the show in December, and the list of 28 middleweight fighters competing on the show was released earlier this month, one detail remained unclear.

What is the new "mystery" format?

With 28 fighters competing in a tournament format, the math simply doesn't work out for a traditional 32- or 16-slot tournament. UFC president Dana White quickly explains the new rules to the gathered fighters.

"We're going to have a wild card," White says. "What that means is there's 28 of you guys; 14 of you will get into the house. After the first seven preliminary fights, the coaches and I will choose two guys who we think deserve a second shot. Those two guys will take each other on. The winner will get the eighth spot in the quarterfinals."

Full Story

Post #1   3/27/10 4:07:29PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Anything to make tuf interesting
I am kind of getting bored with it
They need to show more antics in the house then fight
Preparations

Post #2   3/27/10 6:36:03PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
i dont know if i want to see any more house antics personally but i am getting bored also. i would rather them shorten the season and just shoe 4 fights a week until the sub finals and then just 2. show a little bit of antics and training but i dont really care to much about the individual fighters, at least not till they do something important

Post #3   3/28/10 8:04:46PM