Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC still not sure what to do with James Toney

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It’s been three weeks since the Ultimate Fighting Championship signed former heavyweight boxing world champion James Toney to a mixed martial arts contract. He’s been through the rumor mill of fighting everyone from Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson to former UFC champion Randy Couture.

But as of right now, he’s got nothing on the docket.

“People keep asking me what’s next for him, who’s he gonna fight. I have no idea,” UFC president Dana White said Wednesday afternoon at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. “We did this deal and now I gotta figure out what I’m gonna do with him and how I’m gonna do this thing.”

White has come under fire for signing Toney, many people calling it a “freak show,” but a lot of the fighters under White’s employ don’t see it that way.

LINK

Post #1   3/25/10 10:39:36AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Cro Cop if anything is what I'm thinking at this point. Or even Dos Santos. If he fights a wrester he's going to get taken down at will.

Post #2   3/25/10 3:22:00PM   

atlas777

Standup Guy

atlas777 Avatar

Career:577-375
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
It depends on what they want to do...do they really want to promote him and feed him some guys that will stand with him and possibly get ko'd proving that boxers in all actuality are better strikers (if he knocks them out, not saying i believe he would) or would they totally want to discredit professional boxing in mma by feeding him to some high level wrestlers and let him get taken down and pounded on hopefully shutting up alot of the boxers saying they would come into mma and kill everyone (it would shut some up but i doubt it would actually do to much to effect some of them...alot of them are just too cocky), these are just my thoughts

Post #3   3/25/10 7:31:46PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by atlas777

It depends on what they want to do...do they really want to promote him and feed him some guys that will stand with him and possibly get ko'd proving that boxers in all actuality are better strikers (if he knocks them out, not saying i believe he would) or would they totally want to discredit professional boxing in mma by feeding him to some high level wrestlers and let him get taken down and pounded on hopefully shutting up alot of the boxers saying they would come into mma and kill everyone (it would shut some up but i doubt it would actually do to much to effect some of them...alot of them are just too cocky), these are just my thoughts

i don't think that would descredit anything if they did that. Boxing fans will just say that mma fighters are scared to stand with boxers and vice versa...

if he knocks out a wrestler mma fans would just say that the fighter should have took it to the ground for some GnP but had to much pride and tried to stand when they shouldn't have.

I think putting him in with strikers makes the most sense. Boxing against kick boxing to get his feet wet.

Last edited 3/25/10 8:27PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   3/25/10 7:46:04PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,252-1,525
Chips:
Throw the Headhunter at him.

Post #5   3/25/10 10:17:43PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
please send eddie sanchez or heath herring in to rape him.

Post #6   3/26/10 12:37:24AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

I agree. Give him one of them too see where its at. You don't want to throw him in with one of the big names just yet because its a lose-lose situation IMO. I mean not money wise obviously, but if he wins, that more ammo for boxing fans that hate mma, and if he loses to one of those big names its a waste since he'll probably never try that again haha Let him build his way up just like everyone else!!!

Post #7   3/26/10 1:50:59AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
It all hings on what the UFC's intention are with Toney. Feed him to a top level guy with great strikes and a hell of a ground game. Or put him against Chase Gormley!?!? Who knows. I say let A Silva fight him at HW!!!

Post #8   3/26/10 7:39:04PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Really? Herring would probably beat him up, but Eddie would be the one being raped.

Post #9   3/26/10 7:50:28PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
James Toney vs Kurt Angle

Post #10   3/28/10 8:43:50PM