Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Blames Dan Hardy's Airbrush Tattoo Removal On China

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If you've been paying attention to the promotional material released for "UFC 111: St. Pierre Vs. Hardy", you may have noticed that on some of the posters (not the one pictured here, check the UFC's website) Dan Hardy's stomach seems somehow less cluttered than usual. That is because "The Outlaw"'s prominent stomach tattoo has been erased using the magic of Photoshop. The fact that his ink was artificially removed is not new news, but the real reason behind it is and it is also rather interesting.

Up until recently most everyone, including Hardy himself, was in the dark as to the reason for the airbrushing. It was originally thought to be because the tattoo was too distracting but CagePotato is reporting that UFC president Dana White had bigger things than visual overstimulation in mind when he ordered the ink wiped clean. Apparently, White revealed his motivation at a Q&A session with fans in Toronto on Tuesday.

LINK

Post #1   3/24/10 11:05:51AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I will give DW a pass on this one, but if cencorship and or new rules for fighting develop due to China's communist-wannabe capitalist system (IMO)...

I will jump on the Buddist bandwagon if censorship peaks it's ugly face into the UFC again.

Post #2   3/24/10 11:25:21AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
Screw China.

Post #3   3/24/10 12:07:06PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I don't think that headline is going to be too popular with the Chinese media.

Post #4   3/24/10 1:10:46PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Really? Doesn't seem like that big a deal but I guess I can see where he's coming from there's definitely a lot of potential cash in China so why not do everything you can to make it work..sucks they had to censor Hardy but I'm sure it's not too big a concern for him coming up on the biggest fight of his life.

Post #5   3/24/10 1:13:44PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Chips:

Posted by gartface

If China ever sees it

Their government is extremely strict about what internet content gets through their filters.

Post #6   3/24/10 1:49:11PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,354-1,409
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dana not gonna do too good in China anyways..they have Art of WarFC..and that's pretty damn strict with that already..and Dana says himself that he doesn't need any anti-Chinese government stuff on my fighters are u guys wondering what it says "Basically, the jewel is the enlightenment within the lotus, the lotus being the mind. It's a Tibetan Buddhist prayer for 'Stay focused, keep walking the path you're supposed to be walking on, and eventually you'll achieve the enlightenment within your mind.' It was kind of that and kind of the fact that I've never had abs, so I thought I could just cover that area with ink." what does that have to do with anti-Chinese government...

Post #7   3/24/10 2:08:22PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by gartface

If China ever sees it

Their government is extremely strict about what internet content gets through their filters.

Haha I know, I meant the officials who block the content. What are they going to think if they see this. I'm sure that people that the Chinese officials have to censor aren't very popular within their ranks.

Post #8   3/24/10 2:55:50PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Dana not gonna do too good in China anyways..they have Art of WarFC..and that's pretty damn strict with that already..and Dana says himself that he doesn't need any anti-Chinese government stuff on my fighters are u guys wondering what it says "Basically, the jewel is the enlightenment within the lotus, the lotus being the mind. It's a Tibetan Buddhist prayer for 'Stay focused, keep walking the path you're supposed to be walking on, and eventually you'll achieve the enlightenment within your mind.' It was kind of that and kind of the fact that I've never had abs, so I thought I could just cover that area with ink." what does that have to do with anti-Chinese government...

Pretty much anything originating in Tibet could be considered sensitive by the Chinese government. To say they're control freaks would be an understatement.

Post #9   3/24/10 3:13:56PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,873-1,070
Chips:
Any American company which accepts Chinese censorship sucks. I boycott several companies for their acceptance of human rights abuses in China, and while I won't be doing it with the UFC because I couldn't not watch MMA, I definitely will think about where my money is going when I decide whether to buy the PPV or stream it.

Post #10   3/24/10 3:21:34PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:

Posted by isk

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Pretty much anything originating in Tibet could be considered sensitive by the Chinese government. To say they're control freaks would be an understatement.

What a weak move from Dana.

Post #11   3/24/10 4:23:18PM   

DaBeatdown

MMA Regular

DaBeatdown Avatar

Career:981-654
Camp: Knee's
Chips:
SCREW CHINA!!!! AND SCREW DANA FOR THIS PANSY MOVE, FREE TIBET!!!!!

Post #12   3/24/10 4:27:25PM   

DaMaGeInC

MMA Regular

DaMaGeInC Avatar

Career:1,216-800
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
yeah this is kindof stupid!! you stick up for your fighters i would asume are they gonna make him paint over it before fights. if the tattoo was offensive i could see but it isn't. on another note WAR GSP!!!

Post #13   3/24/10 5:07:10PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Why is everyone taking this so personally? China is a huge untapped market, and what he did wasn't remotely bad. He didn't sell out Dan Hardy, he just airbrushed over a tattoo on a poster. Relax people.

Post #14   3/24/10 6:24:42PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Its just some posters. Not as is he'll have to cover it up during the fight..... Lets hope

Post #15   3/24/10 7:08:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2