Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones Not Ready For Title Shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
That's the opinion of Dana White following Jones' TKO win over Brandon Vera at UFC on Versus, which has the Jones hype at an all-time high. White thinks Jones is a year away from a shot, and that's if he survives quite the gauntlet Dana threw down in his comments: Rashad Evans, Quinton Jackson, maybe Mauricio Rua or Lyoto Machida...then the shot. Yowza.

Article

Post #1   3/23/10 9:36:07AM   

TheBestEVER

MMA Regular

TheBestEVER Avatar

Career:519-308
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
I agree that he is not ready yet. If he wins 1 or 2 more fights against top opponents tho he will def be deserving of one.

Post #2   3/23/10 9:46:46AM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
Well, the thing is, everyone who fights long enough loses eventually. There's no way he could go through that list undefeated. Still, I agree he's not quite ready to challenge for the title, but putting him through the "who's who of mma" ringer might not be the best idea either.

Post #3   3/23/10 10:32:44AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,552-908
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Jon Jones vs Rampage, I like the sound of that. Vera could of got him in an armbar if he had any aggression left in him. I think Vera just might get himself cut in the coming year.

Post #4   3/23/10 10:54:16AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
What about the performance makes him not ready? nothing, it was a great finish and made clear that all he need is one elbow to end a fight. I agree Jon Jones may not be ready yet, but disagree on why. Unlike DW's unspecific statements leading readers to believe it was the performance, making Jones not ready, I think its his age and lack of experience. I dont think he needs to beat every top fighter to get a shot, just one. Hopefully he will get to be pushed very hard in a war of well rounded mma, before getting the shot.

If Jones can beat one of these guys, he should become the next title contender imo

lil nog
Rampage
Rashad (this could end the team on team bs that prevents the good fights)
Shogun
or Machida if he loses title to Shogun.

I disagree that he should have to fight all of them to get a shot at the title.

I wonder if Jon Jones could take down any of those top guys?
Vera has great takedown defense, and Randy got him down only 1 time, but Vera said he wanted to allow the takedowns in hopes of submitting guys off his back, like he did to bjj black belt assuerio silva and others. Maybe Vera made a big mistake if he let the takedwon happen vs Jones... but it makes it harder to know if Jones can take Machida, shogun, rashad or Page down that easy. If Jones could take those fighters down, he can end any fight with 1 elbow, and proved that against a good fighter in Vera.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #5   3/23/10 11:49:17AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

The loser of Machida/Shogun in six months sounds about right.

Post #6   3/23/10 11:57:01AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
It's very stupid to pull a GSP on him where he cleans out most of the division on the way to a title and then cleans out the last few relevant faces (matchup wise) during his reign.

Not that I think he can beat Machida.I say let him crack Randys orbital bone next. Instead of feeding Randy. I feel like after the Vera decision and Coleman fight Randy is the next Bisping.

Post #7   3/23/10 12:41:34PM   

clintjack

MMA Regular

clintjack Avatar

Career:851-536
Chips:
I say give him Thiago Silva next.

Post #8   3/23/10 12:49:04PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

I feel like after the Vera decision and Coleman fight Randy is the next Bisping.

really? we're comparing bisping and couture now? what has bisping ever done?

I'd really like to see Jones against Rampage, Rashad, or Forrest. maybe even Tito just because i like watching him get beat up. a couple big wins and hes in title contention imo.

Last edited 3/23/10 2:21PM server time by rearnakedjoke
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   3/23/10 2:16:27PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:332-275
Camp: DGK
Chips:
It would be great to see him fight a top guy or two. IMO, It's going to be a great fight regardless of who they put him against.

Post #10   3/23/10 2:17:49PM   

shotokansun

Learning to Sprawl

shotokansun Avatar

Career:38-24
Chips:
Yea, he definitely isn't ready for the shot just yet, but that is not to say that he won't be ready in the next year and a half.

If he can take on the winner of Forrest/Lil Nog, then perhaps the loser of Evans/Page(winner of that more than likely has a title shot), then perhaps one more win(loser of Machida/Shogun?) he definitely has a shot waiting for him.

Post #11   3/23/10 4:20:52PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by clintjack

I say give him Thiago Silva next.

I AGREE

Post #12   3/23/10 4:34:27PM   

miphi1991

MMA Regular

Career:80-51
Chips:
Strange to me how there was talk of Couture getting a title shot after he "beat" Vera by a close decision, but Bones destroys Vera and he needs another year of wins against top comp to get a title shot. Yet Randy is facing guys like Coleman I love Randy but this just seems unfair. And I agree with whoever said that it makes no sense to have Bones clean out LHW then get a shot. If he beats all the guys like Rashad, Shogun, etc than who will challenge him for the title if he gets a defense or two? I really like Jones and I believe he will be champ as soon as Dana builds him up enough to make money lmao.

Post #13   3/23/10 8:02:16PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
It would be kind of cool seeing him fight Shogun or Machida I could see the standup being real exciting, and Jones would probably be able to get both of them to the ground.

Post #14   3/23/10 8:29:55PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,099-666
Chips:
I say give him Lil Nog. I don't know about you guys, but I think Jones would beat up Griffin, Jackson, or Evans pretty easily. He's just more athletic and unpredictable. Having said that, it scared me to see him dangling his arms out in Vera's guard. His standup, takedowns and ground n pound look great, but he still needs to prove that he can avoid the submission. Theres no one in lhw better than lil nog at bjj. Also he's only been ko'd once in his career. I think if Jones fights nog and gets the decision against lil nog, avoiding the submission, or knocks him out, he should get the title shot.

Post #15   3/23/10 9:46:04PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2