Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC "Indefinitely" Yanks Sherdog.com's Media Credentials

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,824-1,783
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link
Two hours before doors opened Sunday at the 1stBank Center in Broomfield, Colo., a UFC official informed Sherdog.com -- the largest independent MMA media site on the Web, the official MMA content partner for ESPN.com, and my home as an executive editor from 2004-2008 -- that its access had been pulled indefinitely because of a "executive decision," multiple sources confirmed to SI.com.

Asked to comment on the decision to revoke Sherdog.com's access, UFC president Dana Whitetold SI.com via text that his reasoning was "none of your [expletive] business."

Post #1   3/22/10 11:52:26PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I didn't realize Sherdog was the largest MMA media site, I never use it.

Post #2   3/23/10 12:25:25AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Loretta Hunt FTW Sherdog.

Post #3   3/23/10 12:44:35AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
This is dumb.

Sherdog isn't a perfect site. A few of their writers are lacking, like Tomas Rios who seems to think an article should consist of strings of clumsy cliches and recycled phrases.

That said, the majority of their staff are well informed (like Jordan Breen) and funny (like Jake Rossen). They've also got some nice post-fight radio shows helmed by TJ DeSantis with other shows during the week that host a lot of fighters, trainers, and other MMA personalities. Their repository of MMA photographs is among the best on the web. Jeff Sherwood knows his **** and they've got an up-and-comer in Stephen Albanese who's been posting some interesting artful shots in the last few months.

Sherdog and the UFC have butted heads in the past, and while they appear to have had an amicable relationship lately, it seems Dana's being a major control freak about the situation again.

Their photography will likely be affected the most for obvious reasons..They won't be able to attend press conferences either, but they should still be able to sit down with individual fighters and do their thing.

If the issue is professional, we should hear more about it over the next few days. If there's still no news about it, then it's either because Zuffa's lawyers are keeping it private or it's a personal disagreement that those involved don't feel should be disclosed.

Post #4   3/23/10 2:01:43AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's pretty obvious what White's beef is.

Dana White wants MMA coverage to be always about and always positive about the UFC. Sherdog.com tends to cover every promotion, even if the UFC deservedly gets most of its press attention, and tends to be critical, oftentimes reasonably critical; that combination invites the ire of a man who has poor ideas of what the media's role is.

I tend to stay away from Sherdog's editorials and find breaking news much more breaking at other websites, but yanking credentials because an independent (and popular) organization will not constantly stroke your ego is bad management, and, considering Sherdog.com's role as the center of MMA coverage, may be bad policy.

(I have pretty strong opinions about this sort of stuff, since it relates to my current job.)

Last edited 3/23/10 3:21AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   3/23/10 3:21:02AM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Considering the fact that UFC banned a sponsor when Fedor wore one of there shirts, I'm just wondering what took so long for Dana to ban em... (not that I agree with it)

Post #6   3/23/10 4:47:44AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
Jake Rossen is horrible. That is all...

Post #7   3/23/10 4:50:09AM   

Mr_Dead_Sexy

MMA Regular

Mr_Dead_Sexy Avatar

Career:2,631-1,476
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
Turkish Cat ***** was formed by a bunch of people banned from the Sherdog OT. So all I can say is lol.

Post #8   3/23/10 6:13:29AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The only thing I check Sherdog for, besides fighter records and occasionally results from outside the US, is Bruce Buffer's radio show. I really stopped caring about them when Josh Gross left.

Post #9   3/23/10 6:28:13AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,791-1,267
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

It's pretty obvious what White's beef is.

Dana White wants MMA coverage to be always about and always positive about the UFC. Sherdog.com tends to cover every promotion, even if the UFC deservedly gets most of its press attention, and tends to be critical, oftentimes reasonably critical; that combination invites the ire of a man who has poor ideas of what the media's role is.

I tend to stay away from Sherdog's editorials and find breaking news much more breaking at other websites, but yanking credentials because an independent (and popular) organization will not constantly stroke your ego is bad management, and, considering Sherdog.com's role as the center of MMA coverage, may be bad policy.

(I have pretty strong opinions about this sort of stuff, since it relates to my current job.)

I would actually broaden that out to MMA as a whole. Whenever I ahve been at Pressers for UFC events Dana of course protects his product, but some UK press have been bounced (THe Daily Mail for example) because they present MMA as a whole in a bad light.

I haven't used Sherdog for years, the forum is slow clunky and full of trolls. The 'news' isn't exactly the best on the web. Personally I use here and MMA Junkie the most.

Post #10   3/23/10 6:46:27AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by rcg916

Jake Rossen is horrible. That is all...

Agreed. In fact, I'm not a fan of any of the Sherdog guys, personally.

Post #11   3/23/10 8:33:58AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I'm not sure what editorial White got butthurt over this time, but that's usually the issue. As far as I'm concerned Sherdog is the most professional MMA site on the web. They may not break the stories first every time, but very seldom are there retractions based on fact after a story is run on their site.

Hell, they were about the only site on the web not to post news of Kimo's death. They didn't have anyone on record, so they didn't run with the story. Well done on their part.

You don't get to be the content partner for the worlds largest sports news website without being at the top of the professional heap. The biggest problem with White (and a lot of fighters for that matter) is the fact that they can't differentiate between an Op-Ed and a news story. There isn't a successful news-based media outlet in the world that doesn't run opinion editorials, sports news media shouldn't be any different. You don't see MLB revoking ESPN credentials when they put Bud Selig on blast for his handling of the steroid era do you?

I personally share Luke Thomas' point of view here. And frankly I'd rather take my news from a site that covers the sport objectively and is willing to ask hard questions than from any one of the vast numbers standing in the Dana White ball-washing line.

Last edited 3/23/10 9:36AM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   3/23/10 9:36:00AM   

xxdeadpoolxx

MMA Regular

xxdeadpoolxx Avatar

Career:890-595
Camp: Rocky Mountain Wrecking Crew
Chips:
I have a feeling it may be the Franklin, Ortiz, Liddel strory. Did'nt sherdog break the story? Also I think the story will come out to be true and half way through the season Tito backs out for whatever reason and Franklin takes over. Guaranteed Danas pissed probably was hoping it to be an exciting twist in the show

Post #13   3/23/10 9:51:10AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

I didn't realize Sherdog was the largest MMA media site, I never use it.

haha i use to, but i have no reason to

Post #14   3/23/10 9:58:08AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,658-1,424
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Sherdog sucks imo...that was the first site I ever posted on when I came onto the MMA forums. It's filled w/ trolls and ridiculous threads...I basically don't ever post on there anymore. Loretta Hunt is probably the most bias mma reporter out there, I don't read most of their stuff b/c for the most part they are anti-ufc.

Post #15   3/23/10 12:31:43PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3