Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Erin Toughill Done With Strikeforce...And Possibly MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
If you believe her Facebook...

From Cage Potato:

Erin Toughill announced via Facebook Thursday afternoon that she isn't going to be fighting for Strikeforce any longer, and she actually sounds pretty serious about the whole thing. Now, I realize we've all written things we didn't mean on Facebook from time to time. For example, I do not actually believe that the MTV show "Teen Mom" is one long advertisement for abortion, contrary to what I may have written on my profile in the past. But Toughill insists that this wasn't a hasty decision on her part, and she even seems to be considering giving up the sport for good.

You'll recall that she was supposed to be next in line for a shot at "Cyborg" Santos in Strikeforce, but it doesn't look like that's happening now. Her gripe is a familiar one among female fighters. Even now that they have a major promotion to compete in, there just aren't enough chances to fight. Sure, Strikeforce has gotten into a good rhythm with women's bouts, putting one on almost every event of late, but never more than one. You factor in the various weight classes and the numerous female fighters under contract, and suddenly there aren't that many chances to go out there and get paid.

Maybe that's the source of Toughill's beef, or maybe they're jerking her around over the Santos fight. Hopefully all this gets explained in future Facebook posts, which are accompanied by pictures of her and all her friends drinking margaritas at their local Chili's.

Actually, we haven't CP. I for one haven't, because I do not even have a Facebook. Don't want one either. Something's either up with her personal life or it's a business issue, has to be one of those two.

Post #1   3/19/10 2:14:40PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Call me jaded, but I don't think it should come as much of a shock to anyone that a female MMA fighter calls it quits. It's a serious up-hill battle for them money-wise and future-wise. The sport is not really near mainstream acceptance of female fighters. (IMHO)

Post #2   3/19/10 4:41:23PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think it's too bad too, I really enjoy most of the fights I have seen the females put on...especially the SF ones.

Post #3   3/20/10 3:25:45AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
She should go back to school.

I hate text typing

Post #4   3/20/10 8:54:06AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Call me jaded, but I don't think it should come as much of a shock to anyone that a female MMA fighter calls it quits. It's a serious up-hill battle for them money-wise and future-wise. The sport is not really near mainstream acceptance of female fighters. (IMHO)

Yes, but at the same time when you are arguably nearing the cream of the crop of the sport, why would you drop out? If her heart isn't in it, that's fine, I don't hold it against her, but don't blame the lack of fights on your exit. The world's most famous male fighters gutted it out on the indie circuit for years, taking crappy pay in order to pursue their passion, why are women all of a sudden exempt from this? (that's a rhetorical question btw, I'm not calling you out or anything.) She has plenty of fight opportunities in Japan to help pad her rep, she can't just rely on Strikeforce when she has bills to pay.

Post #5   3/24/10 6:32:04PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Damn thats sucks, This is one badass chick too, she got in the ring with Laila Ali!! Can't blame her though, lifes real tough out their for female fighting period. Female boxing doesn't even getting hardly any respect people. Its one of those things people definitely would watch but wouldn't close an ounce of sleep if it wasn't there though. And thats sucks because these women give their lives like guys do. Sucks because I would have loved to see her fight Cyborg's wife. Think that would have been a big money fight if money is what she is lacking for it to be "worth it" or what she deserves.

Post #6   3/24/10 10:22:19PM