Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"Big Country" Needs To Win Because He Needs To Eat

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Apparently those hoped-for fast food sponsorship deals haven't yet come through for Roy Nelson, because of course food came to be mentioned in the TUF 10 winner's recent comments about his upcoming fight with fast-rising prospect Stefan Struve. "I think my experience... actually I cant even say that, he has more fights than I do, haha! I think it will just come down to who wants it more. He is young hungry kid and I am a hungry old kid. I need to eat."

Article

Post #1   3/19/10 12:21:30PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I know 99% of everyone hates Big Country, but I think the dude is hilarious!

Post #2   3/19/10 1:29:25PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,369-1,414
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

correction..only Dana hates Nelson..

Post #3   3/19/10 1:57:28PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
Go Big Country! I have always liked and respected BC. He is hilarious too. I was a fan back in his Bodog and IFL days. I don't know how far he will make it in the UFC though. He may or may not even get by Struve. Roy better stay on top in side control, keep his belly on him, avoid Struve's submissions and do enough work to not get stood back up. I think Roy may lose a decision or get tapped out. If he does tap it will be his first time tapping. I think Struve might be the man to make him tap though. Of course Roy has a shot at knocking Struve out...if he can somehow get on the inside. The reach difference will be huge I assume. It should be an interesting fight no matter what. The sheer differences in size and body type will make this one interesting.

Post #4   3/19/10 2:12:06PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I do like his sense of humor, especially early on TUF 10 when he won and immediately asked for a double whopper. Not to mention the one time when he said he hoped to get some fast-food sponsorships...gotta give him credit for trying to put his...bulk to good use corporate-wise.

Post #5   3/19/10 2:19:14PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I am glad that nelson proves that even fat boys can kick some
Ass now and then. Hopefully he can prove to those insecure women that a short
Fat dude can beat up a tall skinny one

Post #6   3/19/10 2:28:55PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

i'm right there with you in that 1% haha.

on a different note i really don't think Struve has any shot at all of submitting Roy. you may not want to believe it, but Roy has some pretty nasty grappling ability (black belt under Renzo), enough to beat Frank Mir in grapplers quest back in 02. i think Struve's submission game is extremely overrated due to his long legs allowing him to get subs on guys with less than average ground skills. so, pretty much what i am getting at is Struve submitting Roy is just as likely as someone calling the first round of this years NCAA tournament perfect.

Last edited 3/19/10 3:00PM server time by jiujitsufreak74
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/19/10 2:55:23PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Jackelope

i'm right there with you in that 1% haha.

on a different note i really don't think Struve has any shot at all of submitting Roy. you may not want to believe it, but Roy has some pretty nasty grappling ability (black belt under Renzo), enough to beat Frank Mir in grapplers quest back in 02. i think Struve's submission game is extremely overrated due to his long legs allowing him to get subs on guys with less than average ground skills. so, pretty much what i am getting at is Struve submitting Roy is just as likely as someone calling the first round of this years NCAA tournament perfect.

Ya that's one thing people overlook with Roy a lot, his slick ground game.

But to put that win over Frank Mir in perspective Video: Roy Nelson vs Frank Mir

I'm not trying to take anything away from Roy Nelson, but he was losing pretty solidly until Frank Mir visibly gassed out. It is funny though that at that point Roy had the better conditiioning Frank Gassed from a couple sloppy judo type throws and an over-committed arm bar. After that Roy scored points by passing, getting stuck in guard, passing again, and eventually mounting. In my opinion he was never close to a submission and he attempted very few of them.

Also, both fighters have evolved a lot since that point and it would be hard to argue against the fact that Frank Mir has evolved a lot more. Frank has been fighting better competition, rededicated himself to training, put on 20lbs of muscle, and who knows how much he's advanced technically. Roy on the other hand has put on an equal amount of weight, but all in his gut.

Last edited 3/19/10 4:00PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   3/19/10 3:59:15PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I can't see Roy losing this. Obviously he's at a disadvantage in the reach department but from what i've seen he's more skilled in every aspect of the sport...then again i'm a big Roy fan so i could be biased.

Post #9   3/19/10 4:34:56PM   

bustin_mma

Standup Guy

bustin_mma Avatar

Career:1,489-869
Camp: Kame House
Chips:
The only thing that would make me like big country more, would be if he had an overly aggressive mullet.

Post #10   3/19/10 5:03:11PM   

xtra_chewy

Standup Guy

xtra_chewy Avatar

Career:2,808-1,501
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Posted by Jackelope

correction..only Dana hates Nelson..

No...your right its 99%.

Post #11   3/19/10 5:34:49PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Big country is going to make it a long night for Stefan. Nelson has serious skill and after this fight should look to next level of fighters in the HW div.

Post #12   3/19/10 7:10:48PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,419-833
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I find it highly unlikely that Struve submits Country, I like Struve but his only chance is to win a decision, and Country should be able to control Struve against the cage very Couture like.

Post #13   3/19/10 11:08:53PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
I think Roy is arrogant and pompous. That being said, he's hilarious, a well rounded fighter (ignore the pun there), and shut Dana White's mouth up by winning TUF 10. Whether you like him or not, it's hard not to give the dude respect. I used to dislike him, but he's winning me over. He's alright now i guess...

As for the fight, Stefan Struve is not ready for this fight and will lose however Roy wants him to.

Post #14   3/20/10 2:30:13AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

I think Roy is arrogant and pompous. That being said, he's hilarious, a well rounded fighter (ignore the pun there), and shut Dana White's mouth up by winning TUF 10. Whether you like him or not, it's hard not to give the dude respect. I used to dislike him, but he's winning me over. He's alright now i guess...

As for the fight, Stefan Struve is not ready for this fight and will lose however Roy wants him to.

On the cocky note I think if you take a look at the fighters in the last TUF (outside of Wes Sims) how could Roy Nelson not have been cocky? Nobody there had near the amount of experience or skills that Nelson had and that was very, very clear from the beginning of the show. I'm sure on some levels Nelson felt disrespected and I think most would now agree that he had somewhat of a right to be as cocky as he was.

Imagine if you played, dominated and started professionally for 3 years on an MLB team and when you signed a contract with a new team they made you play in their minor leagues without much of a reason. You'd certainly have a right to be unhappy IMO.

Granted some are better team players than others, but I think it should also be noted that Nelson also had more fights than one of the coaches- Rashad Evans.

Not giving the guy 100% of a pass for some of the way he acted on TUF, but I think when viewed objectively folks can see why he was feeling some of the way he was. It should also be noted that I'm more than positive the moments were made more dramatic than they really were on account of editing.

Post #15   3/20/10 2:39:48AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2