Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Will Not Provide Live Counter Against April Strikeforce Event

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Strikeforce has the spotlight to itself.

The long-rumored UFC event expected to counter the promotion's April 17 CBS offering will not take place, MMA Fighting has confirmed.

Earlier this month, the UFC explored the option, going so far as to inform likely broadcast partner Spike TV that the show was a go, but the company has apparently reversed course, and a Spike source said the network has been told by the UFC that the show is no longer happening.

At the time, rumors of potential matchups pitting Mike Swick against Matt Serra and Wanderlei Silva vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama were quickly extinguished for various reasons, making finding a headlining act a challenge.

LINK

Post #1   3/18/10 1:58:04PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:861-585
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
that's good news IMO. not that i disapprove of more fights happening. I just think it's better for the sport if they aren't happening at the same time. Strikeforce's growth isn't necessarily bad for the UFC. It can lead to increased consumption of MMA in general (ala Starbucks which made coffee sales take off for everyone including the competition)

I am pleased w/this news.

Post #2   3/18/10 2:20:53PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Good news
I don't know why ufc and dana sees strikeforce as a threat

Post #3   3/18/10 3:30:39PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,772-1,096
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
very good news

Post #4   3/19/10 12:30:25PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I agree with the masses and think this is great news. It wouldnt have lived up to a UFC fight card on that short of notice and now I wont have to pick which one to watch.......live that is

Post #5   3/19/10 7:42:16PM