Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mir Buying in Bulk Against Carwin

Print  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Much was made about Frank Mir’s decision to add some 20 pounds of muscle to his frame in advance of his UFC 107 matchup with Cheick Kongo. However, the brief bout with the chiseled French kickboxer lasted barely more than a minute and shed little light on whether or not a bulkier Mir was a better Mir.

That figures to change when he takes on the hulking Shane Carwin in the UFC 111 “St. Pierre vs. Hardy” co-main event on March 27 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

“Carwin’s been an athlete his size a lot longer than I’ve been at mine,” Mir said during a Tuesday teleconference to promote the interim heavyweight title bout. “The greatest indication of whether [adding more weight has] been beneficial will be whether or not I can negate some of his strength.”

yace

Post #1   3/16/10 5:38:46PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
how cool would it be if Mir finished him from the top with ground and pound.

Post #2   3/16/10 6:06:38PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
that would rule, if he suplexed carwin onto his head, and won by ground and pound ko.
Mir is better having extra weight, as long as it dont slow him down. vs Cheick he looked fast o his feet.
I hope Mir wins, but this is too close to call imo.
Carwin seems like a monster, but he never fought any really good guys besides Gonzaga, so its hard to know. For all we know Carwin could be the best HW in the world.

Post #3   3/16/10 6:18:57PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Opposite of franks thinking, Iwonder how much it will affect his cardio. Mir has gassed before. Hopfully he is past that but time will tell with the bulkier frame. WAR CARWIN by the way!!!

Post #4   3/16/10 7:50:18PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Opposite of franks thinking, Iwonder how much it will affect his cardio. Mir has gassed before. Hopfully he is past that but time will tell with the bulkier frame. WAR CARWIN by the way!!!

He won't have to worry about gassing. Neither guy are really going to come into this fight looking to grind it out. Mir has the superior boxing, and I haven't really seen Carwin shoot too much, so I don't really expect to see Mir on his back.

Carwin will have a stiff head, looking for a power punch and get rocked with a hook and dropped like Kongo.

Post #5   3/16/10 9:46:51PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by BustedKnuckle

He won't have to worry about gassing. Neither guy are really going to come into this fight looking to grind it out. Mir has the superior boxing, and I haven't really seen Carwin shoot too much, so I don't really expect to see Mir on his back.

Carwin will have a stiff head, looking for a power punch and get rocked with a hook and dropped like Kongo.

I agree. And I think who ever wins it'll be early. i'd be surprised if this went past round 2 and I'm expecting round 1

Post #6   3/16/10 10:11:50PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Mir reveals he has been working out with Hulk Hogan and unveils big leg drop.

Post #7   3/17/10 12:06:13AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I really want Carwin to smash Mir but can't decide if I have enough faith to pick him to win it.

Post #8   3/17/10 1:11:19AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
I expect a fight alot like the nog fight. The only thing im worried about is mir is so confident in his ground skills he gives up the takedown. Plus mir has been KO before. Hopefully he will use his skills and get a second rd stoppage.

Post #9   3/17/10 6:51:30AM   

Menard_StC

MMA Regular

Menard_StC Avatar

Career:1,052-623
Chips:
I like how Mir adds some muscle and drops Kongo, and suddenly his career long history of poor wrestling, mediocre striking, poor heart, and poor cardio just get forgotten about.

Post #10   3/17/10 10:52:26AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
ruf critique of my man Mir.
He submits guys, the striking and cardio are all extras for him cuz his fights dont go past the first, what not to like about a guy who finishes???
with subs, and recently striking, but still finishes quick

Post #11   3/17/10 3:25:34PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I've never thought of Mir as a fighter w/out heart. over confident at times, yes. out of shape at times, yes. returned to early after the accident, yes? he's got heart. he's a real fighter.

on a side note:
I just got Suffer the Premier Edition in the mail today.(it just showed up...i didn't even order it) i'm reading it now. Got some good articles but there is one Fantasy match up Mir vs. Fedor that is kind of ridiculous. Sort of uses the same logic as that article that made it seem like Kimbo was the best heavyweight in the world based on mmath.

Post #12   3/17/10 5:56:02PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:

Posted by Menard_StC

I like how Mir adds some muscle and drops Kongo, and suddenly his career long history of poor wrestling, mediocre striking, poor heart, and poor cardio just get forgotten about.

you seem to be forgetting a recent history of great striking shown against kongo and nog -----great strikers

showing up in shape witch if nothing else implys his cardio will be better

wrestling never was and never will be his strenghth but the added mass can help his top game and wrestling a little with newly aquired strength

and fyi having a few holes in the early days of your career isnt enough for me to condem someone to having no heart thats just ignorance frank has heart for days he loves to fight

war mir

Post #13   3/17/10 9:27:35PM