Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA Quick Quote: World's Strongest Man not afraid of Tim Sylvia -- or a 15-minute fight

Print  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
"I know what it means to fight three five-minute rounds. I get another new opponent every minute when I spar and I handle that. So if I can deal with five foes in one round, there won't be any problem with only one. Obviously there's a possibility that I will break a leg or pull a tendon. It's occupational hazard, but I don't take it under consideration. I'm not concerned at all. I have a clause in my contract that once I sign it, within 24-hours I will receive certain percent of my purse for this bout. If it's not there, I'm not going anywhere. Listen, I'm not afraid of anyone. I have my next fight on May 7th and another two weeks later, if everything goes as planned I'll face Pawel (Nastula) in September. I do it step by step."

lenk

Post #1   3/16/10 5:11:40PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
LOL Pawel Nastula? Now that's awesome. By all means if Mariusz isn't technically improving his game Nastula will mop the canvas with him

Last edited 3/16/10 6:22PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: Wrong east block name lol

Post #2   3/16/10 6:19:12PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't think his logic is great here. I really doubt that they spar at the same pace that an actual competitive fight would happen. You also aren't going to get the same effects of the adrenaline rush that comes with performing on the big stage, nerves, and all of the other factors that can sap a fighter's energy. Nor are his sparring partners likely as good as the people he's talking about facing.

That's good that he's doing whatever he can to get his stamina up, but there's a pretty big difference between sparring a bunch of guys in your gym and fighting seasoned, top level competition on the big stage.

Post #3   3/16/10 8:13:52PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,358-789
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The dude has pulled a F***ing Plane . Why do people suddenly think Lesner is the top fighter pound for pound , yet they don't think the 5 time worlds strongest man has a chance against Tim Sylvia. Team Miletich has not proven very strong during the new movement of MMA , Timmy's only chance is a fluke punch landing.

Post #4   3/16/10 11:51:10PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

The dude has pulled a F***ing Plane . Why do people suddenly think Lesner is the top fighter pound for pound , yet they don't think the 5 time worlds strongest man has a chance against Tim Sylvia.

Because Lesnar had a wrestling background. Pulling a plane is a skill that is less translatable to MMA than shooting a double leg.

Post #5   3/17/10 1:03:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid
Timmy's only chance is a fluke punch landing.

So... let me get this straight-

The guy who has trained and fought for years knocking out some of the best in the world only has the chance of a fluke punch landing to win the fight.... and yet the guy who happens to be freakishly strong enough to pull a plane, but has not trained to fight for years and years nor has ran through top flight competition is supposed to win through technical expertise and not from the lucky dynamite strike?

Call me crazy, but that sounds like backwards logic to me. Just sayin'.

(and for the record I do agree that Timmy and Militech haven't held up recently... nor do I necessarily feel that Timmy will win this fight)

Post #6   3/17/10 2:41:17AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,358-789
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I can beat my little sister up with all her great technique.

Post #7   3/17/10 12:34:44PM   

murdoc

Learning to Sprawl

murdoc Avatar

Career:1,118-777
Chips:
Lesnar was a three time NCAA wrestling champ. You don't pull planes in the octagon.

Post #8   3/17/10 1:15:58PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by murdoc

Lesnar was a three time NCAA wrestling champ. You don't pull planes in the octagon.

Try one-time. 2000. Runner-up in 1999. Wrestled in JUCO prior to that. Most high school state qualifiers would rape a strongman anyway.

Post #9   3/17/10 1:26:23PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by murdoc

Try one-time. 2000. Runner-up in 1999. Wrestled in JUCO prior to that. Most high school state qualifiers would rape a strongman anyway.

Gross.

Post #10   3/17/10 4:26:50PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Pudz is sick, his mma fight is so funny

Post #11   3/17/10 5:55:15PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i don't know what to think....technique is a huge factor but with enough strength you can overcome a lot of technique. This guy makes lesnar seem like a girl in the strength department.

lesnar is obviously a very powerful man plus has all this wrestling technique which is going to be more than enough for most heavyweights.

I expect Tim to lose this even if he comes in shape. I do not see tim submitting this guy so if he wins it's gong to have to be on the feet but i see Pudz bull rushing right through tim's strikes and hurting him.

If tim can get off some good kicks early in the fight he might be able to make Pudz Timid enough to keep him on the outside. I think that's his only way to win.

Post #12   3/17/10 6:13:41PM