Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Despite fan-favorite status, UFC on Versus 1's Jon Jones knows fans can be fickle

Print  
Posted By Message

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,523-942
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
Few prospects have entered the Ultimate Fighting Championship and found the kind of immediate stardom that Jon Jones has.

But the self-proclaimed "MMA geek," who next fights Brandon Vera this weekend in the headliner of UFC on Versus 1, knows combat-sports fans can be a fickle bunch.

link

Post #1   3/16/10 1:37:34PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i have a love hate relationship with these type of match ups. i hope for great success for both of them but obviously one will walk away w/a loss. hopefully jones can bring out the vera that we all know is in there & make this a fight of the year type of fight.

Post #2   3/16/10 1:48:41PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
WTF is versus1 anyway, like Spike TV?

Is this going to be televised in Canada?

Ive been wondering this for weeks

As far as Jones and Vera go, Vera used to be one of my Favorite fighters, now he isnt even in my top 20, When Jones came out, I more or less got bored of all the nuthugging he was receiving, even though he deserves it, but man, this kid has done nothing but impress the hell out of me and Im definitely on the Bones train, I hope he not only beats vera, but does it with authority

Post #3   3/16/10 3:03:00PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
hes right, i lost a lot of liking for Spider Silva after he couldnt finish Leites, because I think he could have ko'd him in a record setting 1 second, but he either chose not to, or would not take a risk on offense. DW blamed Thales for not fighting, but I think if Silva did very little power striking, and did do a whole lot of jabs to the knee, and leg kicks. i forgave silva after he ko'd griffin.

the other thing i can agree with is fans r tuf on mma fighters. example, my criticism of Spider Silva above.
But much worse than myself are the mma fans, jones is referring to. The fans who say everyone in the UFC sucks, and SF also. Many fans think if your not named Fedor you stink. MMA fans like the fav fighter, and no one else has any talent. I think the UFC has very good up n comers vets and champs, along with good gateway guys. none of which stink.
Also people freak out over win loss records. This is understandable, but in mma, anything can happen, and styles make fights. Some fighters can lose, and still get better and not be washed up.

I hope Vera and Jones have a crazy war!

Last edited 3/16/10 3:08PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/16/10 3:05:41PM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
I think it was "UFC on Versus 1", as in, the first time they've shown a UFC on the versus channel?

Anyhoo, I've given up on Vera. I used to man crush on him and his brutal knees, but now he's fallen to the Pedro Rizzo underperformer league.

Post #5   3/16/10 4:50:38PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,499-881
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He is more disappointing than Rizzo because he is more rounded and has better skills. This is his chance, he has looked better lately and he could return to main event status and elite fighter status if he can look great and defeat a very tough Jon Jones, I've been rooting for Vera even though I never pick him.

Post #6   3/16/10 11:17:17PM