Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jake Shields May Look To UFC For Compeititon With A Win Over Henderson

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Jake Shields' reign as Strikeforce Middleweight Champion could be short if he beats Dan Henderson in his first title defense in April. Turns out Shields' contract with SF is up after the fight, and he says he'll talk with both SF and UFC and see who he wants to work for.

Article

Post #1   3/16/10 10:09:20AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
This is great news. I really wanna see the best fighters at the ufc until SF builds up atleast 20 good guys in each division. right now they have one good fighter per division, and it seems like they hire bad fighters at the last minute to fight those good guys imo.

Even if Jake Shields loses to Hendo, he should fight as a welterweight in the UFC His "american jj" is really good, i dont think hes an overated fighter at all. Jake just needs good comp at his own weight class.

I wanna see
GSP Shields
Kos vs Shields
Fitch, thiago paulo, hardy etc. i think hes got great fights in the UFC.

Last edited 3/16/10 11:54AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   3/16/10 11:52:17AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think win or lose he will leave strikeforce
Tuf coach is first step towards that
He has endless match ups for him in the ufc

Post #3   3/16/10 12:02:22PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
As much as I'd like Shields to stay in SAtrikeforce and help legitimize the weightclass there, I think he is better suited testing out his rep in the UFC.

Post #4   3/16/10 12:14:21PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Too bad Shields would have to have a debut fight and couldn't fight GSP right away, that would be a pretty cool quick fix for that problem they have.

Post #5   3/16/10 1:16:42PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Chips:
Ya, I think Jake should fight at WW in the UFC. But this is awesome news. I love Jake Shields!

Post #6   3/16/10 1:18:32PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,596-987
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
finally jake shields gets to show his skills in the ufc. shields vs gsp!

Post #7   3/16/10 1:23:30PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

I'm guessing that Strikeforce doesn't have a "Champions Clause" in their contracts.

So if he beats Hendo (unlikely) then he can just leave as Champ?

Last edited 3/16/10 1:33PM server time by finnish_line

Post #8   3/16/10 1:33:03PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i want him to stay in strikeforce.

i'm trying to see the sport grow not just the ufc grow. Love the ufc...no complaints from me in general but it's better long term if we see strikeforce flourish too. jake should stay and do his thing....although i will be blown away if he beats hendo. can't see that happening. Jake isn't anderson silva and hendo will demolish him on the feet and defend the takedown.

Last edited 3/16/10 3:46PM server time by maxone

Post #9   3/16/10 1:41:24PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Coker should strip him immediately and not let him out of his contract and not allow him to fight. I didn't think Shields was such a disrespectful ingrate.

Post #10   3/16/10 1:42:47PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Coker should strip him immediately and not let him out of his contract and not allow him to fight. I didn't think Shields was such a disrespectful ingrate.

you fail.

Post #11   3/16/10 3:37:35PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

He said he would weigh his options not completely jump ship bro. Easy on the fighter bashing. It's his life bro and he's going to do what he thinks furthers his career.

Post #12   3/16/10 5:50:51PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

I'm guessing that Strikeforce doesn't have a "Champions Clause" in their contracts.

They do not have a champion clause and this is a perfect example of why the UFC is smart for including one (That is if Alistair Overeem didn't already convince you).

i want him to stay in strikeforce. i'm trying to see the sport grow not just the ufc grow. Love the ufc...no complaints from me in general but it's better long term if we see strikeforce flourish too. jake should stay and do his thing....although i will be blown away if he beats hendo. can't see that happening. Jake isn't anderson silva and hendo will demolish him on the feet and defend the takedown.

The sport growing has become synonymous with the UFC growing. They are the big leagues and all these other orgs are hurting the sport by dividing the talent. Until we have all the best fighters in one spot we will never be guaranteed the best fights. The UFC is trying to do that.

Look at the NFL, NBA, and NHL. They have no serious competition and those sports are flourishing.

Look at boxing, multiple organizations, and it is struggling.

One major league organization is good for the sport.

That's pretty harsh. Especially considering he stated he would be weighing his options. Stripping of the title is a surefire way to push him into the UFC's arms and hurt their credibility as an organization that takes care of fighters.

At the end of the day he has to think of his career and himself first, that means going where the best offer is. The UFC has the best talent and the most money. Seems like an easy choice to me

Post #13   3/16/10 6:04:44PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by finnish_line

They do not have a champion clause and this is a perfect example of why the UFC is smart for including one (That is if Alistair Overeem didn't already convince you).

i want him to stay in strikeforce. i'm trying to see the sport grow not just the ufc grow. Love the ufc...no complaints from me in general but it's better long term if we see strikeforce flourish too. jake should stay and do his thing....although i will be blown away if he beats hendo. can't see that happening. Jake isn't anderson silva and hendo will demolish him on the feet and defend the takedown.

The sport growing has become synonymous with the UFC growing. They are the big leagues and all these other orgs are hurting the sport by dividing the talent. Until we have all the best fighters in one spot we will never be guaranteed the best fights. The UFC is trying to do that.

Look at the NFL, NBA, and NHL. They have no serious competition and those sports are flourishing.

Look at boxing, multiple organizations, and it is struggling.

One major league organization is good for the sport.

That's pretty harsh. Especially considering he stated he would be weighing his options. Stripping of the title is a surefire way to push him into the UFC's arms and hurt their credibility as an organization that takes care of fighters.

At the end of the day he has to think of his career and himself first, that means going where the best offer is. The UFC has the best talent and the most money. Seems like an easy choice to me

IMO 1 totally dominant org was good for the initial growth spurt but bad for the sport long term, bad for the fighters and bad for the fans/market. Whether jake goes to the UFC or not has very little impact on the big picture but in general i'd prefer he stays w/strikeforce and i hope strikeforce can continue to snatch up talented fighters & continue with this gradual growth. Team sports are different. Players move from team to team. If we use teams sports as a comparison then we'd need to consider the UFC a team.

Last edited 3/16/10 6:30PM server time by maxone

Post #14   3/16/10 6:23:27PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,361-1,266
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

This is great news. I really wanna see the best fighters at the ufc until SF builds up atleast 20 good guys in each division. right now they have one good fighter per division, and it seems like they hire bad fighters at the last minute to fight those good guys imo.

Even if Jake Shields loses to Hendo, he should fight as a welterweight in the UFC His "american jj" is really good, i dont think hes an overated fighter at all. Jake just needs good comp at his own weight class.

I wanna see
GSP Shields
Kos vs Shields
Fitch, thiago paulo, hardy etc. i think hes got great fights in the UFC.

There are some great fights in the UFC for him but I see Fitch, GSP, and Kos handling him. I say still bring him over regardless of the outcome of his next fight though

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #15   3/17/10 10:38:05PM