Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ryan Bader, CB Dolloway and Aaron Simpson Leave Arizona Combat Sports

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I would expect them to likely end up with Greg Jackson, but Team Couture could be a possibility, as would ATT.

Post #16   3/13/10 10:41:57PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I feel he just comes off as arrogent whenver I hear him talk or read what he has to say.

But whatever I can't like everyone and what's done is done.

Post #17   3/13/10 11:06:30PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

I would expect them to likely end up with Greg Jackson, but Team Couture could be a possibility, as would ATT.

Greg Jackson's would be my first guess but I just couldn't see a LHW and 2 MW's going to the camp when they would have to train with Rashad and Nate two guys who are in their division and might end up fighting. IThis was my first guess however seeing they used to train with Condit.

Post #18   3/13/10 11:08:13PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
These guysmight be going to The Lab in Glendale AZ. better facilities, less BS...its where Benson Henderson trains.

Post #19   3/14/10 12:30:04AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,512-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

But on a side note, I'd want to get away from Jamie Varner too.

Sad to see such an ignorant post from someone who normally posts good stuff. You have no idea what kind of a person he is or if his teammates leaving has anything at all to deal with Varner. I could be wrong but judging from all of your other posts I've seen I had thought you a bit more mature than that.

I was actually kind of kidding. Someone made a comment about it earlier on the thread. There's a general dislike for Jamie Varner in the MMA world right now. I never really understood it, he seems like a decent guy from what I've seen.

But I guess that's one of the problems with reading text, you can't tell the tone from written words.

Post #20   3/14/10 1:20:08AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

But on a side note, I'd want to get away from Jamie Varner too.

Sad to see such an ignorant post from someone who normally posts good stuff. You have no idea what kind of a person he is or if his teammates leaving has anything at all to deal with Varner. I could be wrong but judging from all of your other posts I've seen I had thought you a bit more mature than that.

of course we don't really know Varner. all most of us have to base our opinions on about who he is as a person is his interviews. He doesn't do well in that arena from what i've seen which is usually what gains you fan support. being great at fighting is only one aspect of gaining fans most of the time. So...it's understandable that folks would feel that way.

Post #21   3/14/10 1:22:24AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,512-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I feel he just comes off as arrogent whenver I hear him talk or read what he has to say.

See that's what I don't get and I actually think I understand why some people would think that.

Jamie is a fighter (as far as I know) that reads the internet forums and pays attention to what the fans think about him. That means he cares what the fans think. So when he realizes that the perception is negative he probably feels a little hurt/offended. I think that comes through in his interviews and actually ends up perpetuating the fans perception of him.

I saw the same thing with Tim Sylvia. Tim was a guy who cared ALOT about what the fans thought of him. He took steroids to get a more appealing fighter physique. He always talked about wanting to be the HW Chuck Liddell. So it made him bitter when people didn't like him. That bitterness came through when he spoke and only made matters worse. Tim's downfall was he tried to hard to be liked. He was actually a really solid fighter for his time and I think a lot of the reason people didn't like him was because he wasn't your stereotypical tough guy fighter.

Edit: PS. I actually think Donald Cerrone is the more arrogant/cocky fighter between the two. I don't mean that as an insult, I love the Cowboy. But I think he has more of that arrogant fighter air about him.

Last edited 3/14/10 1:29AM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   3/14/10 1:27:06AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

See that's what I don't get and I actually think I understand why some people would think that.

Jamie is a fighter (as far as I know) that reads the internet forums and pays attention to what the fans think about him. That means he cares what the fans think. So when he realizes that the perception is negative he probably feels a little hurt/offended. I think that comes through in his interviews and actually ends up perpetuating the fans perception of him.

I saw the same thing with Tim Sylvia. Tim was a guy who cared ALOT about what the fans thought of him. He took steroids to get a more appealing fighter physique. He always talked about wanting to be the HW Chuck Liddell. So it made him bitter when people didn't like him. That bitterness came through when he spoke and only made matters worse. Tim's downfall was he tried to hard to be liked. He was actually a really solid fighter for his time and I think a lot of the reason people didn't like him was because he wasn't your stereotypical tough guy fighter.

Edit: PS. I actually think Donald Cerrone is the more arrogant/cocky fighter between the two. I don't mean that as an insult, I love the Cowboy. But I think he has more of that arrogant fighter air about him.

For this post and the one before it.

For one thing- None of us here know exactly what went on, so it's irresponsible to jump to conclusions and slander someone's name on the internet when they may or may not have anything to deal with the situation. On top of that- I don't gather many of the people here actually know Varner, Bader, Dolloway or Simpson so it's unfair to comment and spread rumor on their situation because this is the internet and this is how rumor mills get started. Varner could be the absolute best teammate on the face of the earth but nobody would know it because all they see is what they read about him which wasn't even true. Hell, remember that Condit up and left New Mexico to go train with Varner because they became such good friends.

For another thing- regardless of what people have seen of him in interviews we still don't tolerate fighter bashing here on the playground and after all as a moderator I can't just sit here and let slander go.

On top of all of that- I feel bad for Jamie because having met him many, many times and spending dozens of hours with him I can honestly say he never once came off as anything more than a likable, funny, and genuine person. I think people just don't realize how much having those cameras stuck in your face and all of the pressure of performing in front of millions can affect a person. Different people handle things differently. Take Houston Alexander for example- if all you ever saw of him was the way he fights (excl. Kimbo fight) and a bad interview here or there you would think he was one of the most aggressive and violent people in the UFC. While on the contrary in person he has got to be one of the most professional and nice guys I've ever met associated with MMA.

Anyways people- point is don't judge a book by a very small portion of its contents. I'm not trying to be a jerk, either.. but we do like the playground to be a place for intelligent discussion. Not a place where random insults can be interjected into a situation that doesn't warrant them in the first place.

Post #23   3/14/10 1:41:02AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I dont see these guys ending up at greg jackson's camp with bader just beating jardine.

Post #24   3/14/10 11:52:49AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Very odd situation, especially with not only everyone coming off of wins, but with everyone showing improvement as well. If I had to hazzard a guess, this has more to do with management/money issues than anything. No one leaves a strong team when they're on the upswing unless its money or bad advice involved.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #25   3/15/10 11:40:55AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2