Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

One Year After The Passing Of "Mask", The Family Still Waits For Justice

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Charles ‘Mask’ Lewis Jr., founder of the popular multi-million dollar MMA clothing line and television show TapouT, was killed on the morning of March 11, 2009, when his Ferrari collided with a Porsche driven by Jeffrey David Kirby of Costa Mesa. One year later, the Lewis family still waits for justice. While most of the mixed martial arts community has been able to accept Mask's passing while pressing forward in honor of his memory, his sister Carla Lewis continues to face it on a daily basis as the trial of Kirby, now scheduled for April 2, 2010, continues to drag on. Kirby had been charged with vehicular manslaughter and is facing a possible sentence of more than 19 years if convicted. However, like most court cases, lengthy delays are no longer the exception and have instead become the rule. "For the past year Charles' attorney and myself have repeatedly come before the Judge, wanting our case sent to trial," Lewis said. "Kirby has changed his attorney several times and has not appeared, at least twice. The last court date had in attendance several family members and friends who had traveled a great distance, just to be told we have to come back. It is quite frustrating, to say the least."

Article

Post #1   3/11/10 10:54:21AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Does anyone acknowledge the fact that Mr. Lewis was illegally racing the drunk guy?

Post #2   3/11/10 10:57:02AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

Does anyone acknowledge the fact that Mr. Lewis was illegally racing the drunk guy?

Where did u here this? Im not so sure i have heard many conflicting reports on the situation. Definetly havent heard it was a fact he was racing him.

Post #3   3/11/10 4:52:51PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

i've herd this as well.
The first report i heard stated it was a race.
If that's the case I think their is no justice to be served but it still seems to be mostly speculation.

Post #4   3/11/10 5:10:25PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Giant_Ochai

i've herd this as well.
The first report i heard stated it was a race.
If that's the case I think their is no justice to be served but it still seems to be mostly speculation.

I remember hearing it at first as well, but hadn't heard anything since. Of coarse, what will most people assume when someone dies in a sports car? The same thing happens when a young actor or actress passes away...everyone thinks drugs. It's usually a safe assumption, but not always the case. I'm curious to see more information before I'll believe it. What's your source Ochai?

Post #5   3/11/10 7:18:21PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I would agree had the other driver been sober. Illegal race or not, drunk driving should not be tolerated. Especially when it's habitual.

Post #6   3/12/10 9:06:05AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Well then somebody must have hit the self destruct switch on his Ferrari , because that car was blown to pieces.

Post #7   3/12/10 10:50:29AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
If Mask was racing then you would have to say it was his fault also. However it does not mean that the person who survived and was drunk should not be punished just the same. If Mask had lived and the other guy had died I would say that Mask should be punished too. Mask has already served his sentence and a very harsh one at that. It's time that the drunk driver serves his.

Post #8   3/12/10 3:18:23PM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:
Regardless if there was any racing going on, DUI supersedes everything. I think there are only a few scenarios where the drunk guy would not be found at fault.

Post #9   3/12/10 7:25:40PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by mrsmiley

I would agree had the other driver been sober. Illegal race or not, drunk driving should not be tolerated. Especially when it's habitual.

I agree their is no excuse for drunk driving.
I fear anything I say may sound like I'm speaking ill of Mask and i'm not attempting to come across like that. So if I do in my following words I apologize in advance.
I'm not sure if the whole incident that lead to Mask death has ever fully been disclosed. Has it?
If so,did Mask know the guy had been drinking?
If this is the case Mask never should have even raced the guy in the first place.
But this is only under the assumption they were racing. It seems as if nobody is even sure of that. after all this time.
Has the whole case ever been fully clarified?

Post #10   3/13/10 1:51:30PM