Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC 47: 373K Viewers, 2nd Smallest In 2 Years

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Everyone I know friggin boycotted it because of the ppv coming up. I watched it but told them i didn't

Post #16   3/10/10 7:40:24PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by haggiswashere

Everyone I know friggin boycotted it because of the ppv coming up. I watched it but told them i didn't

Why don't they just boycott the PPV?

Post #17   3/10/10 7:55:20PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I wonder...

Will I be able to purchase/stream UFC on Versus?

Doubt it.

Post #18   3/10/10 8:07:18PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by haggiswashere

Why don't they just boycott the PPV?

They say they are done with the entire organization. I dunno.

Post #19   3/10/10 8:27:00PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

I really think WEC would be better served to split completely from UFC as it would force them to compete more seriously without having 'big brother' there to lean on for promotional assistance.

I feel the complete opposite way.

The only other successful MMA promotion in America (as far as televised promotions go) is StrikeForce, and they have Broadcast deals with Showtime and CBS. Currently WEC only has a deal with Versus and their channel is only available on half of America's TVs

WEC has a lock on two weight divisions but I dont know if that is enough to carry an entire promotion and trying to find top talent to fill the other divisions will be nearly impossible with the Giant that is UFC and the Combo of SF/Dream/M-1 both running around snatching up everyone they can.

I think it would be best to fold WEC into UFC, then finally WEC's BW and FW fighters would get the recognition they deserve from the casual fan (and atleast somewhat better pay)

Post #20   3/10/10 8:38:25PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by CwB

Posted by fightscoops

I really think WEC would be better served to split completely from UFC as it would force them to compete more seriously without having 'big brother' there to lean on for promotional assistance.

The only other successful MMA promotion in America (as far as televised promotions go) is StrikeForce, and they have Broadcast deals with Showtime and CBS. Currently WEC only has a deal with Versus and their channel is only available on half of America's TVs

WEC has a lock on two weight divisions but I dont know if that is enough to carry an entire promotion and trying to find top talent to fill the other divisions will be nearly impossible with the Giant that is UFC and the Combo of SF/Dream/M-1 both running around snatching up everyone they can.

I think it would be best to fold WEC into UFC, then finally WEC's BW and FW fighters would get the recognition they deserve from the casual fan (and atleast somewhat better pay)

agreed

Post #21   3/10/10 9:24:51PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,546-914
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

well all those people that didnt watch it sure missed out on a good card!

WEC always has good cards! I think they put on the best shows most frequently... nearly 100% of WEC shows are awesome!

Post #22   3/10/10 10:39:59PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
no channel equals low numbers

Post #23   3/11/10 1:41:41AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
mma scrap and other websites have the videos individually. the finishes were great...i s cruz the nan, and or will he lose belt bon 1st dfense?

Post #24   3/11/10 7:05:08AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by CwB

Posted by fightscoops

On the weight classes, they're supposed to be implementing a Flyweight division anytime now, it's been on the to-do list since last year. That certainly would help if they can get enough talent into the promotion.

Post #25   3/11/10 7:26:51AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
If Versus was never free on other peoples cable, i would not care so much about not watching it live on tv.

However, next its on ppv, and i am already mad I missed the first 47 live, no way im paying 49.95.

since I never get to watch wec, when the ppv's come around, I don't really know a lot of the fighters who are fighting on wec. I think the boycotters are right to boycott versus. Besides, cable and broadcast tv are pulling channels in protest of inadequate viewing fees, and these cable company/channels (broadcast and Premium) have ripped off people in a messed up system, for long enough.

I demand free wec for all, and than we will get to the promise land...

lol, but seriously, what a bunch of crooks the cable company and channels are!

Post #26   3/11/10 8:59:40AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,539-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
LOL, Inside head kick, I don't know what kind of creatures were on that card !

Post #27   3/11/10 12:05:58PM   

xenophon

Learning to Sprawl

xenophon Avatar

Career:2,911-1,629
Chips:
Jake Rossen had an interesting point on his blog that I linked below. Perhaps, given the current numbers, the best predictor of where WEC stands compared to the UFC on VS is when the UFC does a card on VS. Those numbers will tell more about whether it's the channel or the organization that is the problem. If the numbers are good, it may be time for a name change of the WEC into UFC.

Zuffa will still run the show. The cards can be mixed up with more weight classes. UFC can be shown on both Spike and VS, why not take advantage of it and get some bigger paydays for the 135 and 145ers on Spike and PPV. The only downside is fewer 155 title fights. Cerrone-Henderson was fight of the year last year, and wouldn't have been as good if it were only three rounds.

WEC's Rating's Advisory by Jake Rossen

Post #28   3/11/10 2:02:29PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I don't get the channel :(

Post #29   3/11/10 5:36:01PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

I really think WEC would be better served to split completely from UFC as it would force them to compete more seriously without having 'big brother' there to lean on for promotional assistance. They are so overshadowed by the UFC it seems they are the forgotten son of Zuffa - I mean where the hell was the advertising for WEC 47? I can't recall seeing a single commercial promoting this event on any channel outside of VS, and even the online ad buy seemed really weak...

For the quality of action WEC puts on, the promotion has done a really poor job of promoting these guys which is a shame since they have so much talent on the roster...

i feel the exact opposite way. i think the ufc should jsut absorb the wec. if theyre trying to have 2 or 3 cards a month it could only help fill them out, and these guys could start getting paid

haha, my bad, somebody already posted this

Last edited 3/12/10 12:12AM server time by noahgenda
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   3/12/10 12:09:50AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2