Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jones, Vera focused on 205-pound division now, but heavyweight may be in future

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jon Jones (9-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Brandon Vera (11-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) could be headed up a division around the same time.

The light heavyweight headliners of UFC on Versus 1 spoke Tuesday to media about their March 21 fight, and both said a trip to the heavyweight division is not out of the question in two years, give or take.

It would be Vera's second run in the weight class since June 2008, when the UFC urged him to drop to 205 pounds after losses to Tim Sylvia and Fabricio Werdrum. Jones has served his young career at light heavyweight but said his still-growing frame may support a move up.

LINK

Post #1   3/10/10 9:58:53AM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
205 is the proper place for both of these men. I cant imagine these guys in the HW Division with Velasquez, Carwin, Dos Santos, Mir, Gonzaga, Lesnar. The Heavyweight division has become a shark tank full of great whites. Vera/Jones should stay where they can compete.

Post #2   3/10/10 12:36:53PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,533-950
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

205 is the proper place for both of these men. I cant imagine these guys in the HW Division with Velasquez, Carwin, Dos Santos, Mir, Gonzaga, Lesnar. The Heavyweight division has become a shark tank full of great whites. Vera/Jones should stay where they can compete.

well if you look in lhw division its not like there arnt sharks floating around there. shogun, machida, thiago silva, rashad, rampage, lil nog and anderson silva sometimes. and god forbid ufc signs mousasi after his strikeforce contract is up. id move to hw too.

Post #3   3/10/10 1:03:47PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

well if you look in lhw division its not like there arnt sharks floating around there. shogun, machida, thiago silva, rashad, rampage, lil nog and anderson silva sometimes. and god forbid ufc signs mousasi after his strikeforce contract is up. id move to hw too.

Screw that. I'd go on a crack binge and drop enough weight to compete @ 185!

Last edited 3/10/10 1:25PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   3/10/10 1:24:57PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,533-950
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by hate4thestate

Screw that. I'd go on a crack binge and drop enough weight to compete @ 185!

haha this is the right idea

Post #5   3/10/10 2:43:38PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Mousasi vs anderson and I'll nut myself.

Post #6   3/10/10 3:30:47PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I love Jones, but he would get eaten at HW.
I mean that literally, a guy like Lesnar or Carwin would actually consume him with a side of potatoes and gravy, maybe a little salt and pepper for seasoning, I cant imagine human tastes all that great, so you probably have to season it with something.

Post #7   3/10/10 3:43:08PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
they are just talking about what they'd like to do.
shoot for the stars, fly like birds & touch the sky....right?
I could see both guys fighting at heavyweight in the future. I think Vera's killer instinct was lost in that fight w/Sylvia when he broke his hand. I'd love to see it return.

by the time jones is pushing 30 it could be really tough to make 205 and he could easily bulk up and be a good size heavy weight.

Post #8   3/10/10 3:56:09PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Posted by chickmagnet

The Heavyweights are much bigger than all of these men..That was the point I was making FYI. If Vera or Jones moved up in weight, they would have a tougher time...

Post #9   3/10/10 5:33:20PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
by the time they r 30, they should go on the overeem horse meat diet and put on 30 lbs of muscle...than hw div. could be reality, but atm hw division is a 230 plus division imo.

Last edited 3/10/10 5:55PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   3/10/10 5:54:27PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Didn't Vera learn his lesson against Sylvia? He's too small, and Jones is no bigger. Sure they'd have a speed advantage over some HW's but I really can't see them being able to compete with the huge top guys. Carwin, Cain, Nogueira, Lesnar, Mir, Kongo, Gonzaga, they're all gigantic these days, not to mention talented and that size is just way too much. They could probably compete against guys like Cro Cop who could probably fight at LHW himself if he wanted to, but other than that the decision would be a bad one IMO.

Post #11   3/10/10 6:16:57PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Didn't Vera learn his lesson against Sylvia? He's too small, and Jones is no bigger. Sure they'd have a speed advantage over some HW's but I really can't see them being able to compete with the huge top guys. Carwin, Cain, Nogueira, Lesnar, Mir, Kongo, Gonzaga, they're all gigantic these days, not to mention talented and that size is just way too much. They could probably compete against guys like Cro Cop who could probably fight at LHW himself if he wanted to, but other than that the decision would be a bad one IMO.

Cro Cop's thighs weigh 205 lbs each....

Post #12   3/10/10 6:56:10PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Cro Cop's thighs weigh 205 lbs each....

lol I thought he usually weighed in around 230ish, same as what a lot of 205ers walk around at before making the cut. He does have the massive legs but I'm sure he could make the cut if he pulled a Sherk and did a few practice cuts first.

Post #13   3/10/10 8:59:16PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Mousasi vs anderson and I'll nut myself.

Shogun vs Anderson and I'll nut myself.

Post #14   3/10/10 9:16:52PM   

xenophon

Learning to Sprawl

xenophon Avatar

Career:2,867-1,602
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

I think people should compete where they are best physically and comparatively. 205 is a deeper, more talented division. It's hard to think of twenty highly skilled HWs. Try thinking of LHWs who are highly skilled and now compare. These truly big guys are competing in the right place.

At the same time, let's not forget that MMA's best HW is a fat 230 in Fedor. MMA's historically second best HW in Big Nog, weighed under 235 in his prime. Couture who has competed well at the highest levels for a long time would have to eat like crazy to approach 230.

The speed and natural athleticism that smaller fighters tend to have is a difference that matters. If you don't think speed matters, go watch Cruz-Bowles or the first round of Brown-Faber 2. If you need an example in a larger class, try Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin, where a man who has seen over 240 on the scale looked slow against a man who has seen 167 in his pro career.

Post #15   3/11/10 2:21:56PM