Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Whats your opinion on the perfect fighting style combo in MMA?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Hey just wondering what you guys think is the best combo for fighting in MMA. Now I know alot of people say that wrestling is the best foundation to fighting, and in some ways I agree but IMO I would go with a different style for grappling, I really like Judo and am really hoping to be training in it in the summer. I love the ideas of just tossing people around like rag dolls. As per stand-up I think that Kickboxing and Muay Thai are the best for stand-up, kicks, knees, elbows, clinch great hands can't ask for much more. As for the ground BJJ hands down, there are other form of jiu-jitsu but BJJ is IMO the best around.

Kickboxing/Muay Thai
Judo
BJJ

What are your thoughts?

Post #1   3/9/10 5:43:24PM   

fightscoops

Learning to Sprawl

fightscoops Avatar

Career:15-5
Chips:
Muay Thai/BJJ all day - both styles, if executed properly, have tremendous offensive AND defensive potential with the fewest holes of any style combination IMO...

Post #2   3/9/10 5:51:41PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,726-1,499
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

Muay Thai/BJJ all day - both styles, if executed properly, have tremendous offensive AND defensive potential with the fewest holes of any style combination IMO...

I second that !!!!

Last edited 3/9/10 6:05PM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   3/9/10 6:05:37PM   

CaranoGirl

MMA Regular

CaranoGirl Avatar

Career:1,076-597
Camp: The Fight Show
Chips:
Muay Tai///BJJ///Wrestling. That way you have 3 ways to win. If your fighting a BJJ ace then use your wrestling to not let them take you down and use your muay tai. If your fighting a KO artist use the wrestling to take it down and Submit them and if your fighting a wrestler then you can cancel each other out.

Post #4   3/9/10 6:24:33PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Muay Thai and BJJ was the first thing that came to mind for me too, but wrestling could be thrown in there too there are some great MMA fighters who use wrestling and prove how effective it is in this sport.

Post #5   3/9/10 6:26:29PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Wrestling/Muay Thai seems to be the best. Top notch BJJ guys usually don't finish eachother by sub anymore, so what matters is who's on top on the ground and who is the better in the standup.

You look at GSP vs Alves, Serra, BJ etc

And you have a list of wrstlers he beasted.

Bj wins by sprawl and brawl anymore, if he didn't have a world class sprawl and a world class jab he wouldn't be as dominant.

You see what kickboxing/ Muay thai gets you when you see a guy like Forrest getting layed on by a far inferior Ortiz or when Anderson Silva is jabbing and running from BJJ guys because he's even on the ground.

World class wrestling/muay thai ftw imo

Post #6   3/9/10 6:39:26PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Wrestling for the throws, sweeps, sub defense, chokes, control and all the physical aspects that BJJ guys don't seem to gain from years of training that wrestler's do.
Muay Thai of course....it's got all boxing and kickboxing entities contained into one deadly style.

Post #7   3/9/10 7:44:56PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,447-862
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Wrestling/Muay Thai seems to be the best. Top notch BJJ guys usually don't finish eachother by sub anymore, so what matters is who's on top on the ground and who is the better in the standup.

You look at GSP vs Alves, Serra, BJ etc

And you have a list of wrstlers he beasted.

Bj wins by sprawl and brawl anymore, if he didn't have a world class sprawl and a world class jab he wouldn't be as dominant.

You see what kickboxing/ Muay thai gets you when you see a guy like Forrest getting layed on by a far inferior Ortiz or when Anderson Silva is jabbing and running from BJJ guys because he's even on the ground.

World class wrestling/muay thai ftw imo

Post #8   3/9/10 7:55:04PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Taylor8766

Hey just wondering what you guys think is the best combo for fighting in MMA. Now I know alot of people say that wrestling is the best foundation to fighting, and in some ways I agree but IMO I would go with a different style for grappling, I really like Judo and am really hoping to be training in it in the summer. I love the ideas of just tossing people around like rag dolls. As per stand-up I think that Kickboxing and Muay Thai are the best for stand-up, kicks, knees, elbows, clinch great hands can't ask for much more. As for the ground BJJ hands down, there are other form of jiu-jitsu but BJJ is IMO the best around.

Kickboxing/Muay Thai
Judo
BJJ

What are your thoughts?

If i'm allowed I will go with submission grappling and Thai boxing. I know Sub Grappling is a combination of all the ground sports but it has grown legs with events like ADCC Grapplers quest and NOGA. I have rolled in many submission grappling tournments and can honestly say I have never put a Gi on or wrestled in High School.

IMO Judo is really hard to use in MMA and even BJJ for that matter. Your not allowed to use the Gi so 90% of your offense is gone.

Post #9   3/10/10 1:09:41PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Kung Fu/Sumo/Akido pwns all

Post #10   3/10/10 2:44:15PM   

xenophon

Learning to Sprawl

xenophon Avatar

Career:2,645-1,481
Chips:
I think that some styles are better suited for certain people than others. Catch Wrestling isn't for everyone, unless you ask Josh Barnett, but there are growing numbers using it. Sambo could be considered as a good style, as it is a combination of early Judo and various wrestling styles from the Soviet Union. Nevertheless, few successful fighters are using it. BJJ has long been thought to be the most important grappling style, but it has holes that other styles can exploit in MMA.

Grappling styles in part are meant to be used wearing a gi, which is not allowed in most places. So Judo, BJJ and Sambo all use the gi. Wrestling in all its variations (Greco, Freestyle, Catch) don't. The habit of controlling humans without using the gi seems to give wrestling an advantage. The problem is that most wrestling styles don't have the submissions that other styles do. BJJ has the most complete submission arsenal in some respects, but the traditional aversion among practitioners to leg-locks can make people vulnerable. Aoki among other Japanese fighters use leg-locks against foreign fighters because of their superior technical knowledge of those submissions and that outside Japan, leg-locks are under-taught.

Striking poses another set of problems. Karate, Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing and other striking arts all have had success. The spinning strikes more common in Tae Kwon Do can work quite effectively. Good boxing can stop a lot of opponents. Muay Thai contains an arsenal of options many other arts don't. Need I go on?

In my opinion, you need to know everything to a degree. You also need to know how to apply it. You also need to have in addition to that well-rounded game, at least one art that you are great at to be truly competitive in the upper echelons. If Demian Meia wasn't a phenomenal BJJ practitioner, he wouldn't be where he is today. Most however need at least two arts they are great at that cover the three areas that cover the range of combat. Standing apart, in the clinch and on the ground all have various arts with pluses and minuses.

The true best combination is the one that does cover all ranges and works for the competitor. There is no universal solution.

Post #11   3/10/10 4:50:22PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Muay Thai, Judo, Greco-Roman.

Post #12   3/10/10 6:10:57PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Muay Thai, Judo, Greco-Roman.

Greco is definitely good for coming into MMA, the clinchwork is mad effective, as Couture shows in every fight

Post #13   3/10/10 6:29:25PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Wrestling and Muai Thai. Especially Greco Roman wrestling. Lots of clinkching in Greco and would translate nicely with the Muai Thai. BJJ has top be in the mix as well. As the sport grow we will see more and more fighters will multiple "prfessionaly honed" skill sets!

Post #14   3/10/10 11:23:56PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
jeet kune do

Post #15   3/11/10 11:03:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2