Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

M-1 Director: Fedor Emelianenko (and Strikeforce relationship) healthy and ready to return

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,320-1,389
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"I think June, July is realistic (for Emelianenko's return). It's not 100 percent. Don't take this as a fight announcement, but I think during the summer. After the CBS show, we thought that the (Strikeforce) terms needed a little bit tweaking -- nothing major, just a little bit of tweaking. So, we had a round of negotiations with Strikeforce. Everything went positively. We're pretty much at the end."

Link

Post #1   3/9/10 11:40:21AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
All this BS for one fighter. It just sad how much stuff Strikeforce has to deal with just to have Fedor fight.

Last edited 3/9/10 12:16PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   3/9/10 12:15:38PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by telnights

All this BS for one fighter. It just sad how much stuff Strikeforce has to deal with just to have Fedor fight.

Agreed... Fedor's amazing and I love watching the guy fight, but it looks like he may end up costing Strikeforce in the long run.

Post #3   3/9/10 12:31:40PM   

fightscoops

Learning to Sprawl

fightscoops Avatar

Career:15-5
Chips:
But you've got to look at it from Fedor's perspective - the guy is unanimously considered the best heavyweight fighter on the planet and he's 33. He just got married this year and said he plans on having kids - how many more years does he have left as a fighter? Maybe 5, with probably only 3 great years left... then another 50 years of life after retirement...

I don't disagree with Fedor here - they guys deserves to get paid and I support him holding out for the best deal around. Belts mean nothing to this guy who is virtually undefeated and seemingly still getting better as he ages...

Post #4   3/9/10 12:45:41PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

I don't disagree with Fedor here - they guys deserves to get paid and I support him holding out for the best deal around. Belts mean nothing to this guy who is virtually undefeated and seemingly still getting better as he ages...

The holding out for the best deal should've been squashed when they signed with SF though. You don't sign a contract, realize it could be better, then hold out on who you supposedly call a partner, for a better deal...and all that after only 1 fight.

Post #5   3/9/10 1:08:11PM   

fightscoops

Learning to Sprawl

fightscoops Avatar

Chips:
If you're 'The Last Emperor' you do, and obviously it has worked as Strikeforce is reportedly willing to renegotiate and pay him whatever. Fedors market value has skyrocketed since his American debut against Rogers and hes trying to capitalize on that... why should SF reap all the rewards of his next fight when its his name that brings in the revenue?

In theory I agree with you - you sign a contract and stick by it - but this isnt the goodwill games, its professional sports in the year 2010 and this is how the modern game is played...

Post #6   3/9/10 1:18:40PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

If you're 'The Last Emperor' you do, and obviously it has worked as Strikeforce is reportedly willing to renegotiate and pay him whatever. Fedors market value has skyrocketed since his American debut against Rogers and hes trying to capitalize on that... why should SF reap all the rewards of his next fight when its his name that brings in the revenue?

In theory I agree with you - you sign a contract and stick by it - but this isnt the goodwill games, its professional sports in the year 2010 and this is how the modern game is played...

Well, it's actually his management taking advantage of him, as well as SF. What it does, besides put a wedge between Fedor and his employer, is make other organizations weary of signing him. Yes, he's one of the most sought after fighters in MMA, but who wants to deal with that...and the only reason SF is imo, is they are just trying to prevent waves. My biggest problem is that it's the dirtbags behind the scenes trying to line their own pockets at the expense of Fedor's name. If the media isn't talking about M-1, maybe just maybe they don't care to talk about a company that just sits by and tries to half the credit and money. I wouldn't talk about them either. If they want more media exposure, they should take their cut and promote themselves.

Post #7   3/9/10 1:32:41PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

I think your assuming this has to do with Fedor's pay. I don't think that's the case at all. It would seam this has more to do with his managers wanting more for M-1 and themselves and not Fedor. Which seams to have been the case from the start.

Doesn't matter if it is 2010 or 1920 contract's are an agreement of serves by law and one's word and if you don't agree with that contract don't sign it. Just because Fedor has becoming more popular doesn't mean it gives him or his management the right to try to strong arm Strikeforce for more of anything. It could also be said Fedor wouldn't be near as popular in the US if not for Strikeforce. Strikeforce is the one with the TV network deal not M-1. Strikeforce would agree to almost anything at this point because just like Affliction they have over invested in to Fedor and his corrupted management. Also what happens if he wins again is M-1/Fedor's management going to want more again.

Post #8   3/9/10 1:44:09PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
M-1 cares for itself a lot more than fedor imo Fedor allows these jerks to run his buissness, because hes in it for the money now. He has all the fame, and he does not seem to care if people regard him as p4p.

Post #9   3/9/10 1:52:59PM   

fightscoops

Learning to Sprawl

fightscoops Avatar

Chips:

Also what happens if he wins again is M-1/Fedor's management going to want more again.

Possibly... if the revenue share skyrockets again M1-Global might want a bigger piece of the pie, and Strikeforce will probably end up giving it to him. It takes two to tango, and the fact that Strikeforce is playing ball with Fedor and renegotiating just reiterates how powerful his position is. This guy is HUGE around the world and could easily make 8 figures in Japan - if he's going to spend time in the US hes going to want equal compensation...

Post #10   3/9/10 3:13:34PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

Also what happens if he wins again is M-1/Fedor's management going to want more again.

Possibly... if the revenue share skyrockets again M1-Global might want a bigger piece of the pie, and Strikeforce will probably end up giving it to him. It takes two to tango, and the fact that Strikeforce is playing ball with Fedor and renegotiating just reiterates how powerful his position is. This guy is HUGE around the world and could easily make 8 figures in Japan - if he's going to spend time in the US hes going to want equal compensation...

Revenue share would incline a percentage amount, so if revenues skyrocket, then M-1 share would also skyrocket.

The fact that Strikeforce is playing ball, shows that they might be investing a little to much into Fedor. Look to Affliction and Elite XC for examples of companies who invested to much into a single fighter. Although SF is more evenly distributed then those companies were, the farther you chase that rabbit down its hole the deeper into **** you get if it collapses.

If you sign a contract then you are stuck with it,Remember Randy and the UFC. Randy was basically forced into early retirement when he had contract difficulties by the UFC who made him sit on the sidelines for over a year until Lesner came into the picture and Dana saw HUGE $$$$$ money, so they gave Randy some more money.

There is no such thing as equal compensation... If you want to get paid big bucks like in Japan, then fight in Japan and dont sign a contract saying you will fight for less. (By the way, 8 figures, you do realize that that is 10 million dollars at least. Maybe I am grossly underestimating the pay rates in Japan but I doubt he makes even half of that per fight in Japan)

At the end of it all, a Man is only good as his Word.

Post #11   3/9/10 4:49:35PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Chips:

Posted by fightscoops

You talking as if they already don't get a fair amount of the profit from the shows Fedor fights in. They agreed to the contract and by doing so they agreed to give a service and said amount or a share of said amount. Now Strikeforce agreeing to changes doesn't show Fedor's position it shows a lack of a backbone and poor decision making by Strikeforce. No one fighter is worth what M-1 has been asking for. From many inside sources that have reported on the deal M-1 already gets a %50 of everything Strikeforce makes from any card Fedor fights on. Now they are asking for more coverage of M-1 by the press when promoting the shows Fedor is in and who knows what else. We have seen 2 company's already make the mistake of over investing in one fighter and its sad to see Strikeforce going down the same road.

When you think about it what does M-1 bring to the table other than Fedor? They don't have a network TV deal or any real major TV deal to speak of.. They don't have a very big brand name. So all they have is Fedor and they are using him and his name to strong arm company's around. When all is said and done this not only makes them look very corrupt, it does nothing but hurts Fedor's image. Come sooner or later people will start looking at Fedor for the actions of his managers, because in the end these are the people he is allowing to manage him.

Post #12   3/9/10 6:02:50PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
he needs to cut loose of m-1 like gegard did
i am telling you, after gegards fight in april his contract is up, he will go to the ufc

Post #13   3/9/10 6:51:42PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

he needs to cut loose of m-1 like gegard did
i am telling you, after gegards fight in april his contract is up, he will go to the ufc

and then they can come and say he wasn't ever actually signed to m-1...just friends helping each other. :)

Post #14   3/9/10 7:31:36PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
More M-1 sumbaggery.

Post #15   3/9/10 8:10:43PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2