Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy Couture: 'Fedor's going to have to step up and be willing to fight top level guys again'

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,462-806
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't have a problem with the people he has faced in the past 2 years. I think Tim and AA were both top fighters at the time those fights happened but I do think the Rogers fight was a step back. Even if he had a harder time with him than he did Tim or AA. You also have to take in to account how much the landscape of the HW picture has changed in the past 2 years. I would like to see him face Overeem but other than that there isn't anyone outside the UFC I really want to see him fight.

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #31   3/10/10 12:02:42AM   

Menard_StC

MMA Regular

Menard_StC Avatar

Career:1,052-623
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I don't have a problem with the people he has faced in the past 2 years. I think Tim and AA were both top fighters at the time those fights happened but I do think the Rogers fight was a step back. Even if he had a harder time with him than he did Tim or AA. You also have to take in to account how much the landscape of the HW picture has changed in the past 2 years. I would like to see him face Overeem but other than that there isn't anyone outside the UFC I really want to see him fight.

I agree, I think he is in danger of running out of opponents soon, but it hasn't happened yet... Werdum is a top fighter and is a legit threat, same with Overeem. Hopefully he fights those 2 guys by the end of the year, then we will see where things stand... maybe the UFC makes another run at him, maybe more guys leave the UFC looking to fight him.

Regardless, the people who claim he is not fighting top competition have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, and are listening too closely to Dana White.

Post #32   3/10/10 8:28:14AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I think wins over Overeem, Werdum, and Bigfoot are all quality wins. Honestly just because of the way it went down I think the win over Rogers was pretty quality, too.

That's 4 fights right here that will take Fedor at least the next 1 1/2 years more than likely. By then he'll be that much older and I guarantee the retirement talks will start to come around. I'd like to see him finish out his career with some bigger names on his hit list, but IMO his legacy would be cemented with wins over those opponents. It is frustrating to know if that happens he'll have never faced Josh Barnett or Randy Couture, who I think are the last two names he would need to defeat in order to be guaranteed best HW in MMA history for the rest of time, but I could live with it.

Post #33   3/10/10 9:11:21AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i fear that fedor will come to the UFC past his prime and goin the likes of cro-cop and hearing and never get his "due and proper".... sad times

Post #34   3/10/10 10:29:05AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by Menard_StC

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by ncordless

'Fedor's going to have to step up and be willing to fight top level guys again'

...says the guy who just fought Marc Coleman and is trying to get a fight with James Toney.

randy is also supposedly just fighting for fun at this point not trying to solidify himself as the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time.

Show me where Fedor has said he is trying to solidify himself as the greatest pound for pound fighter of all-time.

He already did that long ago.

Fedor has more wins then Mir, Cain, and Brock COMBINED. He also has more wins against top 10 competition then Brock, Mir, Cain, JDS, and Carwin combined.

that's the good word.

Post #35   3/10/10 4:18:53PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by Menard_StC

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by ncordless

'Fedor's going to have to step up and be willing to fight top level guys again'

...says the guy who just fought Marc Coleman and is trying to get a fight with James Toney.

randy is also supposedly just fighting for fun at this point not trying to solidify himself as the greatest pound for pound fighter of all time.

Show me where Fedor has said he is trying to solidify himself as the greatest pound for pound fighter of all-time.

He already did that long ago.

Fedor has more wins then Mir, Cain, and Brock COMBINED. He also has more wins against top 10 competition then Brock, Mir, Cain, JDS, and Carwin combined.

that's the good word.

agreed... Fedor is already proven to be the best HW of all time... nobody has accomplished close to what he has.. even say he loses to werdum and overeem would anyone have a resume even close to Fedor?

Post #36   3/10/10 6:47:24PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
So just for fun here are the HW Rankings from before Fedor fought Rogers.

#1 Fedor Emelianenko
19.38%
#2 Brock Lesnar
17.16%
#3 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
13.71%
#4 Frank Mir
11.97%
#5 Shane Carwin
8.54%
#6 Josh Barnett
8.04%
#7 Cain Velasquez
7.48%
#8 Randy Couture
5.42%
#9 Junior Dos Santos
4.74%
#10 Alistair Overeem
3.56%
Honorable mentions: Brett Rogers, Andrei Arlovski, Fabricio Werdum

Brett was in the honorable mentions, which is kind of a joke if you ask me, but not top ten according to the majority and the more educated fans on the site. Then after losing to Fedor he's suddenly top ten? I don't follow.

Post #37   3/10/10 10:56:56PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

So just for fun here are the HW Rankings from before Fedor fought Rogers.

#1 Fedor Emelianenko
19.38%
#2 Brock Lesnar
17.16%
#3 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
13.71%
#4 Frank Mir
11.97%
#5 Shane Carwin
8.54%
#6 Josh Barnett
8.04%
#7 Cain Velasquez
7.48%
#8 Randy Couture
5.42%
#9 Junior Dos Santos
4.74%
#10 Alistair Overeem
3.56%
Honorable mentions: Brett Rogers, Andrei Arlovski, Fabricio Werdum

Brett was in the honorable mentions, which is kind of a joke if you ask me, but not top ten according to the majority and the more educated fans on the site. Then after losing to Fedor he's suddenly top ten? I don't follow.

I hope you mean kind of a joke because hes not in the top 10.. how could you justify shane carwin who has a very similar resume to brett the # 5 heavyweight and randy to be in the top 10 when he had lost his last two fights at heavy weight? Also thats the ONE set of rankings, rankings vary from person to person. but a majority will put brett in the top 10 and if not he will be ranked right outside of it. But according to you hes not top 10, so fedor has fought two 10 ten heavyweights and a top 15 in his last 3 fights... thats still pretty impressive.

Post #38   3/11/10 3:15:03AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3