Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rampage: Pride cheated me

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fighters Only: Do you miss Pride?

Rampage: I tell you what, I had some good times over in Pride. The UFC treats me better than Pride but the fans, the whole atmosphere… I remember after the fights in Pride, for the longest time they used to have these after parties right there in the arena. By the time the last fight was over you’d go and have a shower and then in the back room they would have a paty and the owners would talk to you and you would have some of, I guess the VIP fans, who had paid for the expensive tickets. You came back there and had the greatest time, some of the guys would be so cool. I have so much respect for Gary Goodridge, whether he won or lost he would be back there having a good time after the fights. I f I lost I would be all [sad face], moping around, drinking a little beer and eating. Gary would be laughing and joking around. They were the best times, that’s one of the things I miss most about Pride, the after parties right afterwards.

The production was one of the best things about Pride.

The first time I fought there they lowered me down in this cage, I was like 70 feet in the air and it was scary! Me and Sakuraba were in there, he was on one side and I was on the other. I didn’t know him. That was the first time I met him, up in the cage and he reached over and shook my hand. Sakuaraba turned out to be a really cool guy actually.

So what was bad about Pride?

A lot of things man. I don’t know what their problem was but they wouldn’t promote me at all, they cheated me out of money from dolls and t-shirts, not paying me… when my contract was up and we were negotiating and I wanted more money and they were telling me ‘oh but you’re a nobody’. This was after I had fought in the Grand Prix and beat Igor Vovchanchyn. Even after I went to that K-1 fight and represented them in K-1, they were mad I won that K-1 fight! Just stuff like that.

LINK

Post #1   3/9/10 9:24:37AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I agee with what Rampage is complaining about, however he needs to assume these promoters are out to rob him, and he should get lawyered up, not bitch n moan i mo

Post #2   3/9/10 10:05:56AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well he bitched and moaned about the UFC not to long ago. Now he's bitching and moaning about Pride. There are plenty of fighters that loved both organizations, do you know what the common factor here is? Rampage himself.

He seems to be very affected by the littlest things and I believe that has a lot to do with his inconsistencies as a fighter.

Last edited 3/9/10 1:44PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: Edited
3 total post edits

Post #3   3/9/10 12:31:19PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I agree, all these promoters are pretty much legal crooks lol.

Post #4   3/9/10 3:15:35PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
This reminds me of something I learned about Rampage about a year ago...

Im not sure if I posted this or not (plus it is something that is unbelievable when being posted by some MMA fanboy on an internet thread [have I ever mentioned that I am 6'5, look exactly like Brad Pitt and can bench 600 lbs] anyways)

Around a year ago I was delivering furniture and ended up delivering a mattress to a UFC Public Relations guy. So while talking about all the different jobs he has to do he told a story about Rampage. He said one of his jobs was to keep the fighters happy at all times and once, right after one of Rampages fight Rampage called up "PR Guy" and said that he was throwing a Naked Party in his hotel room and needed "PR guy" to round up nothing but 10's to populate his party. Later that night PR Guy went up to the room and there were about 30 of the most beautiful women you have ever seen walking around Butt A$$ Naked and Rampage running around wearing nothing but the UFC LHW belt shakin his junk around yellin about being the champ.

Although there is nothing I can do to verify this story for you guys, I do know this guy wasnt lying about his Job for the UFC as I had tickets for UFC 98 and he gave me his number and while at the event I met up with him and he had his backstage credentials. (He told me to call him after the main event and he would let me in backstage, but he texted that he couldnt as he was way to busy... Oh Well)

Post #5   3/9/10 6:04:23PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
lol why does this article remind you of that other than the fact that rampage is in it

Post #6   3/9/10 6:49:17PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

lol why does this article remind you of that other than the fact that rampage is in it

Rampage talking about the old Pride After Parties...

Its funny you would think that those old pride parties would not be something to miss when your current after parties consist of gangs of naked women. Maybe those Pride after parties were also Naked parties, but then how could he enjoy himself with a naked Gary Goodrige runnen around

Post #7   3/9/10 8:00:49PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm getting very tired of Rampage.

First his trainers were cheating him.
Then after PRIDE went under he says they were cheating him.
Then during the whole "A" team debacle he said the UFC was cheating him.
Now he's back on PRIDE...........................

Rampage,I am trying to relate to you man,but when are you going to put some of the responsiblity on yourself?

Last edited 3/9/10 8:13PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   3/9/10 8:12:01PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Chips:
The reporters posed the question. Its not like he's going around complaining to whoever will listen, the reporters asked the question to incite the response.

Post #9   3/9/10 8:46:37PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

The reporters posed the question. Its not like he's going around complaining to whoever will listen, the reporters asked the question to incite the response.

I've finally realized that you can't make people on the internet understand that. According to most people here, fighters run around daily spouting off about anything and everything just to piss the internet fanboys off.

Last edited 3/10/10 8:53AM server time by emfleek

Post #10   3/10/10 8:52:46AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
I'm a Pride whore like most of us, so i just usually avoid hearing anything bad about Pride haha

Post #11   3/10/10 10:23:04AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I fully understand that,but my point is their was a time when Rampage would fully admit an ass whipping and go on.He was just happy to get paid. S%*T happened and Rampage would just flow with the punches and add enough character to make it funny.
Now it's the blame game. Which in all fairness most other fighters do anyways.But for me personally,it feels like a step backwards for Quinton,especially when you reflect back on his down to earth attitude he used to exhibit earlier in his career.

But even at this,my post wasn't fully directed at the inteview but more in agreement with an above post.

Last edited 3/10/10 4:54PM server time by mrsmiley
2 total post edits

Post #12   3/10/10 3:54:12PM   

xenophon

Learning to Sprawl

xenophon Avatar

Career:2,629-1,464
Chips:
Pride, Juanito Ibarra, and ZUFFA. What is it about Rampage that allows him to be cheated and mistreated so many times? I'm waiting for him to start an energy drink fueled rambling about being mistreated by the WFA.

Yes, Pride mistreated him in some despicable ways, but were paying him more than he would have gotten elsewhere and enabling him to compete against some of the best in the world (Wand, Shogun, Sakuraba, Liddell). Ibarra got a lot of money out of him, but he never looked better than when Ibarra was pushing him.

The boxing skills Ibarra taught him are his best technical assets. ZUFFA bought his contract and gave him a title shot in his second fight, put him in a unification fight on free tv, then a season of TUF as coach. He was supported after the traffic incident, he got fights against Wand and Jardine. Rather than a short turn around for a shot at Rashad for the belt, he took time off and then did another season of TUF. Rather than go through with the fight in his hometown, he did a movie and said he was "retired" when ZUFFA complained.

He has certainly gotten a lot of chances from ZUFFA to be bigger and he holds himself back more than anyone else with personal problems, lack of desire to train, allowing his training camps to be run by the likes of Tiki and Zach Light are all examples of that.

Post #13   3/10/10 5:21:56PM