Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Forrest Griffin: My Jiu Jitsu Is As Good as Nogueira's

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

This statement isn't off the wall. I'm not sure why everyone is reacting the way they are.

Forrest is a real solid grappler and Lil Nog hasn't been as impressive on the ground as his big brother. If you look at a common opponent (Shogun) Forrest out grappled him and submitted him whereas Minotoro lost a decision mainly because he was out grappled.

Now it's obviously not that black and white. And I wouldn't hold your breath on Forrest submitting Lil Nog, but the ground exchanges would likely be much more evenly contested than the striking. On the feet Nog has the advantage (and I expect him to put forrest to sleep with punches not chokes), but on the ground the larger forrest might indeed win the positions game.

The Shogun comparison isn't exactly fair considering in one fight Shogun was relatively healthy and in the other he was a complete wreck health-wise. Not to mention all the Octagon jitters, etc.

Not crapping on your point, mind you.. just saying it has to be taken in context

Post #16   3/7/10 10:02:23AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Another factor in all this is Forrest's size. Shogun and Minotoro are natural LHWs. They don't have to cut a lot of weight. Forrest does - he's massive on fight night, one of the biggest at 205 in the world. When he's on top, his cardio and persistence combined with his mass make him difficult to shake.

Minotoro might have the edge in pure skill and from the guard, but getting out from under Forrest is a struggle no matter how good you are.

Post #17   3/7/10 12:54:57PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,181
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Although Forrest possesses good bjj skill in Mma (see shogun fight), in a sport bjj match he would lose to lil' nog, I believe, on points. The twin nogs are technical when it hits the ground

Post #18   7/10/11 7:02:51PM   

kaskd

MMA Regular

kaskd Avatar

Career:1,183-655
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Although Forrest possesses good bjj skill in Mma (see shogun fight), in a sport bjj match he would lose to lil' nog, I believe, on points. The twin nogs are technical when it hits the ground

This is what Forrest must mean. I don't think anyone doubts pure skill wise the Nogs are much better. Forrest's defensive jiu-jitsu, grappling ability and innate size/strength will be enough or more to match up with the Li'l Nog on the ground and walk away with a decision.

I don't think any of us foresee Nog on top, and if Nog can't secure the submission in time Forrest is going to walk away the winner.

Post #19   7/10/11 7:19:36PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2