Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Forrest Griffin: My Jiu Jitsu Is As Good as Nogueira's

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
The Nogueira brothers are widely regarded as two of the best Brazilian jiu jitsu practitioners in mixed martial arts. But as Forrest Griffin prepares to fight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 114 on May 29, he says he thinks his jiu jitsu is just as good as Nogueira's -- and that he actually wants to take the fight to the ground.

"I think I'm actually a better wrestler and my jits I think is just as good as his, and I just have to not get choked," Griffin said.

I'm not convinced that Griffin's jiu jitsu is as good as Nogueira's, but I will say I can understand why, after watching Nogueira's impressive TKO win over Luis Cane at UFC 106, he'd be more concerned about what Nogueira can do to him standing up than what Nogueira can do to him on the ground.

"He's a southpaw, he's really tough, he's got really quick hands," Griffin said. "Actually, I was surprised watching a little film of him, I was hoping he'd be slower than me but he might be a little quicker."

With that in mind, Griffin said his game plan against Nogueira is simple: "Not getting punched by the left hand, or maybe the right hook."

Link w/ Video

Post #1   3/6/10 3:08:51PM   

gsp69

MMA Regular

gsp69 Avatar

Career:505-397
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by Jride

he actually wants to take the fight to the ground.

I just have to not get choked," Griffin said.

haha!! he wanna take it 2 the ground so he doesnt get KO quickly!!
i really dont see this this lastin the 1st round!
it will b a repeat of the silva fight, forrest just cant take the punishment any mor!

LIL NOG BY 1ST ROUND K.O!

Post #2   3/6/10 3:38:03PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,499-886
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
"....and my jits I think is just as good as [Nogueira's]..."

Forrest, I don't know if you're right or wrong, but I think you're wrong and you just lost a little bit of the respect I have left for you.

Post #3   3/6/10 3:40:22PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Forrest, I don't know if you're right or wrong, but I think you're wrong and you just lost a little bit of the respect I have left for you.

Forrest's actually got pretty solid Jui Jitsu but I don't think its as good as little Nog's. I don't get the why people are giving him a hard time for it though. Defensively he's spoken about as being one of the best at LHW, and coming from guys like Randy, Joe Rogan and and Dean Lister I'd be inclined to think he has the right to say that with them backing him up.

I'v got no idea why he lost respect for saying he thinks he can hang on the ground with little Nog. He has a point if you read the interview, his wrestling is better and if he takes him down and uses his G&P he feels comfy there as long as he can avoid the sub.
Its not like he's saying I'm going to sub Little Nog.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   3/6/10 3:55:46PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,064-1,158
Chips:
taken out of context... saw the interview earlier

Post #5   3/6/10 4:09:46PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
forrest < nogueira on the ground imo, but when punches start coming great BJJ fighters sometimes are not as sharp, so i guess we will find out

Post #6   3/6/10 4:13:02PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,553-1,348
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
don't make me laugh!!

Post #7   3/6/10 4:15:20PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,499-886
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by State_Champ

Forrest's actually got pretty solid Jui Jitsu but I don't think its as good as little Nog's. I don't get the why people are giving him a hard time for it though. Defensively he's spoken about as being one of the best at LHW, and coming from guys like Randy, Joe Rogan and and Dean Lister I'd be inclined to think he has the right to say that with them backing him up.

I'v got no idea why he lost respect for saying he thinks he can hang on the ground with little Nog. He has a point if you read the interview, his wrestling is better and if he takes him down and uses his G&P he feels comfy there as long as he can avoid the sub.
Its not like he's saying I'm going to sub Little Nog.

I lost a bit of my respect for him as a result of a few things, this was just 'the straw that broke the camel's back' so to speak.
From his fight with Anderson Silva and his loss to one of my least favorite fighters (Rashad Evans) and his statement that he thinks his jits is as good as Nog's is (maybe forrest is delusional?) he has lost a bit of the respect i had for him.
He'll get it all back if he manages to beat Lil Nog though.

Post #8   3/6/10 4:19:53PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,529-1,370
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Forrest must be listening to Rogan's commentary too much...his jiu jitsu is overrated, is what it is...

Post #9   3/6/10 4:49:36PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,860-1,571
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

don't make me laugh!!

Exactly what I was thinking!!

Post #10   3/6/10 5:17:24PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
@ everyone doubting Forrest. Just because he doesnt have credentials like the Nogs doesnt mean he isnt on par with them. Who was the last person to dominate Forrest grappling?....

For the record im not saying forrest's bjj is as good as Nogueira, but im not saying its not either

Post #11   3/6/10 5:22:30PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Me: No it isn't.

Post #12   3/6/10 5:25:25PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,479-856
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Well I think he's pretty straight up , and while his submission game is a little overrated IMO , he is very good defensively against submissions and I think he's probably got the right gameplan to try and steal a decision . I personally have never seen Lil Nog do anything I was all that impressed with , but everybody keeps insisting he is on the same level as Big Nog , still I like Lil Nog to take this fight .

Post #13   3/6/10 5:35:34PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
his mma submission game is weak, and his mma guard. His sport jitz is top notch, but it has been weak in the cage.

Post #14   3/6/10 9:46:34PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,573-914
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This statement isn't off the wall. I'm not sure why everyone is reacting the way they are.

Forrest is a real solid grappler and Lil Nog hasn't been as impressive on the ground as his big brother. If you look at a common opponent (Shogun) Forrest out grappled him and submitted him whereas Minotoro lost a decision mainly because he was out grappled.

Now it's obviously not that black and white. And I wouldn't hold your breath on Forrest submitting Lil Nog, but the ground exchanges would likely be much more evenly contested than the striking. On the feet Nog has the advantage (and I expect him to put forrest to sleep with punches not chokes), but on the ground the larger forrest might indeed win the positions game.

Post #15   3/7/10 3:07:58AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2