Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Randy Couture Wants James Toney First

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

While we still don't know who James Toney will face in his Octagon debut, UFC legend Randy Couture has let it be known that he wants to be the one to introduce the former boxing champion to the world of mixed martial arts.

"The Natural" took to Twitter just a couple of hours after the news of Toney's signing was made official by the organization, and wrote: "I hope I'm the first guy they call to fight tony! [sic] :)"

Apparently Couture really wants a shot at Toney, because moments later he tweeted about him again: "I hope they set me up with tony! [sic]."

Message received, Randy. Here's hoping the UFC was reading your Twitter feed last night too.

A fight between Toney and Couture, who has no scheduled fights on the horizon, makes a lot more sense than, say, Toney vs. Kimbo Slice, as some have suggested. Couture is a UFC legend, and in many ways represents what MMA is all about. If we really want to find out how Toney will hang in the Octagon, put him up against one the best MMA fighters of all-time, not someone who will try to outbox him. And forget the fact that Toney has an 0-0 MMA record, while Couture is 18-10. If "Lights Out" wants the best, he should fight the best.

Link

Post #1   3/4/10 1:36:11PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,184-1,486
Chips:
Toney vs. Kimbo makes much more sense to me. I doubt the Athletic Commission would allow Couture vs. Toney. While Toney could obviously KO Couture...I feel it would still be considered a huge mismatch. Toney vs. Kimbo is a good match up. Much to everyone's chagrin the UFC has started to sign and "utilize" fighters such as Kimbo and Toney. I think they are doing it the right way though. However, if they throw James Toney at Couture...then they are just acting like Elite XC. Toney needs to start at the bottom of the ladder like everyone else.

Last edited 3/4/10 2:16PM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: Fixed a grammatical error.

Post #2   3/4/10 2:15:38PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Toney vs. Kimbo makes much more sense to me. I doubt the Athletic Commission would allow Couture vs. Toney. While Toney could obviously KO Couture...I feel it would still be considered a huge mismatch. Toney vs. Kimbo is a good match up. Much to everyone's chagrin the UFC has started to sign and "utilize" fighters such as Kimbo and Toney. I think they are doing it the right way though. However, if they throw James Toney at Couture...then they are just acting like Elite XC. Toney needs to start at the bottom of the ladder like everyone else.

I couldn't disagree more. James Tony has a boxing record of 72-6-3 and has titles in four (?) weight classes. He's a legit signing with very dangerous hands and a lot of KO power.

He should be treated like what he is, a top fighter. Maybe not a top MMA fighter yet, but a top fighter none the less. I want to see him fight Couture, Barry, or Cro Cop. If he fights Kimbo I'll boycott the fight.

It's ridiculous to have a legit P4P great in the sport of boxing fight a street fighter from youtube who's making his transition to MMA.

Post #3   3/4/10 3:30:32PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
They should put him in against Kongo or something instead of Kimbo or Randy.

Post #4   3/4/10 6:32:29PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i don't care who he fights. I'll watch....it's what i do.

Post #5   3/4/10 6:54:45PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,433-855
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Sir_Karl

I couldn't disagree more. James Tony has a boxing record of 72-6-3 and has titles in four (?) weight classes. He's a legit signing with very dangerous hands and a lot of KO power.

He should be treated like what he is, a top fighter. Maybe not a top MMA fighter yet, but a top fighter none the less. I want to see him fight Couture, Barry, or Cro Cop. If he fights Kimbo I'll boycott the fight.

It's ridiculous to have a legit P4P great in the sport of boxing fight a street fighter from youtube who's making his transition to MMA.

Boxing is not MMA.
This would be his first MMA fight......
I guess it could make sense for him to fight Barry since Barry is respectable enough but not considered elite.
I just don't want to see him get tooled in his first fight by a fighter who is vastly superior in MMA....maybe I'm alone in this.
EDTI: I suppose if he does get tooled 'he was asking for it'.

Last edited 3/4/10 7:56PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/4/10 7:55:16PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,232-1,201
Chips:
I still am wondering what the UFC wants to do with him. If they want to show him up, they'll give him Couture. Randy will take him down and GNP him silly. If they want to build him up, they could give him somebody like Kimbo or a lesser tier fighter and have Toney knock them out.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #7   3/4/10 8:30:34PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I think randy has the worse style for Toney as he's a wrestler and smart game planner so before the 2nd liddell fight I would have said yeah randy would kill him, but after seeing randy getting stunned in nearly every fight now since the Lesnar fight, even by Coleman, I think Toney could time him good coming in. I'd like to see him fight the guy who lost to crop cop because toney don't have cro cop's sprawl and that guys a ground fighter. Same should have happened with Mayorga. It atleast respects the skill level it takes to get into the sport. Now if Din beats Mayorga and then somebody else he'll be embarassed and im a big mayorga & toney fan.

Post #8   3/4/10 9:38:01PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Sir_Karl

Boxing is not MMA.
I guess it could make sense for him to fight Barry since Barry is respectable enough but not considered elite.
I just don't want to see him get tooled in his first fight by a fighter who is vastly superior in MMA....maybe I'm alone in this.

I think whether or not randy couture is still considered elite is very debatable

Post #9   3/5/10 1:33:17AM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Randy is not elite.

Post #10   3/5/10 11:13:45AM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I think randy has the worse style for Toney as he's a wrestler and smart game planner so before the 2nd liddell fight I would have said yeah randy would kill him, but after seeing randy getting stunned in nearly every fight now since the Lesnar fight, even by Coleman, I think Toney could time him good coming in.

Sigh.Joe Rogan strikes again.........Coleman did not "stun" Randy,unless it was with how easily he lost that fight.He accidently stuck his finger in Randy's eye,which is why Randy backed off and reset.Rogan interpeted this as being "rocked",of course,and everyone picked up on it.Randy cleared this up post fight with Areil on one of his video interviews.

Brian.

Post #11   3/5/10 2:25:46PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,433-855
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Sir_Karl

Boxing is not MMA.

I think whether or not randy couture is still considered elite is very debatable

You're very correct

Post #12   3/5/10 2:42:11PM   

jarod1005

Learning to Sprawl

jarod1005 Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Kimbo will never have a chance to fight Toney because he will lose to Mitrione.

Last edited 4/21/10 10:30AM server time by jarod1005

Post #13   4/21/10 10:29:44AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Boxing is a combat sport, kick boxing is not MMA, wrestling is not mma, jujitsu is not mma, karate is not mma, judo is not mma, however if someone excels to the great degree Toney has its an exceptional case and whoever said the athletic commission would not sanction a super fight with Toney IMO is off their rocker.

I do agree that STYLES make fights and to be fair to Toney they should put him in with a striker. Someone like Randy would just take him down and keep him there. Thats not saying he wont have a chance thats just saying the odds are he'll get wrestled to the ground and humped more than Traci Lords.

Dana might not see the bigger picture, Im not sure. With all the fighters they coddle into development some of them with a limited skill set to boot I would think they would bring him in in a similar way. Toney is going to bring a lot of eyes from boxing the UFC's way and IMO they should milk that not set him up to be destroyed right off the git.

The one thing I know is if Toney develops a Liddell like TDD a lot of fighters are in some serious trouble.

Randy is not elite?

He's still a top ten fighter you crackheads.

Last edited 4/21/10 11:30AM server time by slapshot

Post #14   4/21/10 11:26:18AM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
People are forgetting that Toney isn't a big one hitter quitter-most of his stoppage wins are from racking up damage on guys over time.And I don't think he's suddenly going to become one just because he's wearing four ounce gloves.

People are also forgetting that Toney isn't a real heavyweight-hell,he isn't even a real light heavyweight.In his prime as a boxer,he fought at 168 pounds.In other words,we have a natural welterweight,trying to fight at heavyweight.

This guy isn't going to come in and knock the heads off any heavyweight MMA fighters.He has the worst possible style to cross over,simply because he has a passive style,doesn't have real big power,and his stance just begs to be leg kicked to death or double legged.

Randy Couture would beat this man half to death.

Brian.

Post #15   4/21/10 12:03:01PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2