Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Signs Boxing Champion James Toney, Debut Date Uncertain

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by CwB

-Think about the marketing possible of a former Boxing Champion fighting in the UFC. ESPN talked a lot about Walkers debut, even ignored the rest of the fight card, think about how much ESPN will be talking about Toney's debut. (----Yes, I know how much it sucks to see freak shows get all the media attention, but it is media attention, which will spark interest in non-mma viewers-----)

I am worried about ESPN's reaction to Toney's debut should Toney win or should Toney lose in a way that is the least bit controversial.

Post #16   3/3/10 7:15:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
so is he heavyweight class???

i would think maybe tuf finale doubt a main card pay per view

Post #17   3/3/10 7:37:22PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:
I just hope the ufc doesnt try to pad his record with Cans.

No need to give him the top of the food chain to prove a point, but if they feed him the Kimbo's or houston alexanders ill just about give up on the UFC altogether. That would be a travesty, they need to test this guys Jits or wrestling, or else its just making a mockery of the sport. IMO

Post #18   3/3/10 7:38:02PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
not interested, hope he loses bigtime and then it will be over

Post #19   3/3/10 7:55:45PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
I don't know what to think all I do know is he is a pretty good boxer well now the best boxer in the HWs I know he's old but man I wonna see what happens every fight starts standing and if all someone is gonna do is take him down I'm sure he is good enough to time a solid punch also I DO think leg kicks will be his downfall but who knows what he knows in the MMA game I don't look down on this I think its gonna be cool to see if he wins or loses

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #20   3/3/10 8:03:13PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
perfect opportunity to bring Sylvia back to the UFC to face Toney.

Post #21   3/3/10 8:18:09PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I don't know what to think all I do know is he is a pretty good boxer well now the best boxer in the HWs I know he's old but man I wonna see what happens every fight starts standing and if all someone is gonna do is take him down I'm sure he is good enough to time a solid punch also I DO think leg kicks will be his downfall but who knows what he knows in the MMA game I don't look down on this I think its gonna be cool to see if he wins or loses

You remember the left hook James Tony got?
Sucker move I stole from a game ****
Ya'll Must've Forgot

Post #22   3/3/10 8:23:57PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Jride

Posted by SpiderSilva

Ya'll Must've Forgot

To be fair Roy Jones was god.

Post #23   3/3/10 8:35:17PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Jride

Posted by SpiderSilva

Ya'll Must've Forgot

Quoted for TRUTH!!!!

Losing to Roy is like losing to Fedor, GSP, Penn, A. Silva... No shame in losing to a GOAT.

Post #24   3/3/10 8:44:38PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

Posted by CwB

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Jride

Posted by SpiderSilva

Ya'll Must've Forgot

Quoted for TRUTH!!!!

Losing to Roy is like losing to Fedor, GSP, Penn, A. Silva... No shame in losing to a GOAT.

The only shame in it is that Toney threw his hands down.

Post #25   3/3/10 8:53:18PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
Wow during that time Roy Jones Jr was so good no one could touch him also wasn't Toney boxer of the year not too long ago I would also like to add when he started getting really fat he lost a step as a top notch boxer

Last edited 3/3/10 8:59PM server time by spidersilva
Edit note/reason: n/a

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #26   3/3/10 8:55:59PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,141-742
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
He's a world champion of a combat sport. Nothing like a jose canseco, herschell walker. It's actually very similar to when Cro Cop was brought into PRIDE, except James Toney wont be getting a match with special rules to benefit him.

I'd like to see him fight a Tod Duffee, or another groundfighter that he'd take a beating from. At this point Cain would massacre Toney, but he sure would have some momentum going into his title shot.

Post #27   3/3/10 9:39:22PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:
1 - He'll be fighting @ Light Heavyweight

2 - It's not an exclusive contract (per Kevin Iole). Toney can still box.

LINK

Post #28   3/3/10 9:58:16PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Chips:
I bet Dana gave him a low base salary and a decent cut of the PPV purchases. One thing Toney will be able to do is hype up his fight.

I don't know what to think of the signing. Seems like a one time shot for a small boost in ppv buys. He doesn't deserve Randy and I don't think the UFC would risk Couture getting knocked out. Any Seth Petruzelli sightings

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #29   3/3/10 10:00:21PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
Ultimate Farce Championship

Post #30   3/3/10 10:30:29PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4