Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chris Lytle: UFC's All-Time Bonus Winner

Print  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

A handful of the UFC's biggest stars get six-figure guarantees for all their fights and a cut of the pay-per-view revenue. Those guys are the promotion's highest-paid fighters.

For the majority of UFC fighters, the standard payday is in the five figures, and winning a bonus check for Fight of the Night, Knockout of the Night or Submission of the Night can actually make up the majority of their income. And in that category of fighter, no one has cashed in more than Chris Lytle.

Cage Potato has put together a great UFC performance bonus leaderboard, and Lytle comes out on top with seven bonuses that paid him a combined $310,000. No one else even has six career bonuses.

Obviously, being the all-time leader in performance bonuses in no way makes Lytle even close to the best fighter in UFC history. He's been pretty mediocre in his UFC career, has bounced around between the UFC and smaller promotions, and has a record of 7-9 inside the Octagon.

But I still think Lytle has a special place in UFC history. I've heard some people denigrate Lytle by saying he fights like he'd rather earn a bonus than a win, but in fairness to Lytle, only two of those bonuses were for fights he lost: He got the Fight of the Night check at UFC 78, when he lost to Thiago Alves because the fight was stopped when he suffered a nasty cut, and he got it at UFC 93, when he lost a split decision to Marcus Davis. It's not like he wasn't trying to win those fights.

The 35-year-old Lytle is never going to be a UFC champion, and he's never going to be one of those guys with a six-figure guarantee or a cut of the pay-per-view proceeds. But he'll always be a fighter the fans will want to see, and he has certainly earned that $310,000 in extra income.

Link

Post #1   3/1/10 5:14:25PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

"he fights like he'd rather earn a bonus than a win"

If this means putting on exciting bouts for the sake of putting on exciting bouts, then this is the attitude that most fighters should have. This is a spectator sport, and all the professionals involved should realize that their paycheck comes from satisfying the fans. Lytle is still in the UFC because he puts on a hell of a show, and it doesn't matter if he wins or loses, because people want to see the dude fight, and because of his effort, he is a very well paid fighter despite his losing record.

Post #2   3/1/10 6:55:20PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
Lytle's the ******* man. It doesn't even matter that he'll probably never hold the title at 170. I'll root for him no matter who he's fighting whenver it happens.

Post #3   3/1/10 7:37:58PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:

Posted by Chuteboxer

Lytle's the ******* man. It doesn't even matter that he'll probably never hold the title at 170. I'll root for him no matter who he's fighting whenver it happens.

WOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Post #4   3/1/10 7:43:16PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,474-877
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Chuteboxer

Gotto love Lytle!

Post #5   3/1/10 8:14:47PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,445-841
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He's a very good fighter, it doesn't matter that he loses half his fights, he is fighting everybody out there.

Post #6   3/1/10 8:15:25PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I dont think any fan of MMA has one bad thing to say about Lytle and I guarantee no one complains when Lytle makes the main card...

Post #7   3/1/10 9:01:39PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
THAT IS WHY EVEN WITH A LOSING UFC RECORD ALWAYS HE WILL HAVE A HOME IN THE UFC

Post #8   3/1/10 11:38:10PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
Chris Lytle has always been my favourite fighter, he brings it every time, he's always exciting, and he a great well rounded fighter, if he wasnt always trying to put on a spectacle, he'd have a much better record, but he's still in the UFC and obviously bringing in the cash for his large family, so the dude is doing something right

WAR LYTLE!

Post #9   3/2/10 6:41:56AM