Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Arona Recovering, Hoping to Fight in U.S.

Print  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Arona Recovering, Hoping to Fight in U.S.

Saturday, February 27, 2010
by Marcelo Alonso

Ricardo Arona is recovering from surgery and hopes to fight again this year, the Brazilian recently told Sherdog.com.

He injured his knee during his win over Marvin Eastman in September at Bitetti Combat 4.

“I injured a ligament in the first round, but at the end of the second round, when I put my foot on the Octagon grid, I must have (torn) my meniscus. From that point on I felt a really hard pain, but I returned in the third round and fought standing up until the bell rang,” said Arona, who had surgery two months ago.

The two-time ADCC submission wrestling champion is now planning a return to training and to the ring

“In July I’ll restart my MMA training,” Arona said. “I got some calls from two American events. I want to be fighting in October or November.”

In the meantime, Arona had some thoughts on the MMA scene. Considered Wanderlei Silva’s top rival during the days of Pride, he liked the former Chute Boxe representative’s recent performance against Michael Bisping at UFC 110.

“It was the first time I saw Wanderlei fighting for real, conscious and managing the result,” Arona said. “He showed a good evolution by studying his opponent’s game.”

Arona did not know that Demian Maia will be challenging Anderson Silva at UFC 112, but he was intrigued of the matchup when told it is set.

“Demian is going to be an excellent test for Anderson,” Arona said, “to show his jiu-jitsu skills and prove if he really has a high level on the ground.”

Post #1   2/28/10 10:27:04AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This whole Arona ordeal reminds me of Overeem.....it's ridiculous!!

Post #2   2/28/10 1:52:42PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i thought he sai months back he was heading toward the ufc

Post #3   2/28/10 5:09:53PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
You have to not do roids to fight in America right? I know it's unrelated but I had that question.

Post #4   2/28/10 7:45:49PM