Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"Cro Cop should retire"... I don't think so... do you?

Print  
Posted By Message

Aiden08

Learning to Sprawl

Aiden08 Avatar

Career:587-469
Chips:
Apperently everyone from MMA forums to MMA live on ESPN say's Cro Cop should retire...

I honestly don't understand why. Look i know he didn't do great against Perosh but he was stalking him the whole fight and trying to instigate some type of fight. Perosh was too scared and kept diving to the mat. I think we should give Mirko another chance before we virtually(via internet) end his career...

what do you guys think???

Last edited 2/26/10 1:32AM server time by aiden08
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   2/26/10 1:29:20AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I think Cro Cop has had his best days. He is still a draw, especially over seas, so the UFC can use him to put people in arenas for the time being. I do not believe he will ever be a threat to win a major title. If that is why he continues to fight, then he should retire, because I do believe he will never reach that goal. If he is still fighting becasue he loves to fight, and compete, he deserves to finish his current contract. Just my opinion.

Post #2   2/26/10 1:43:03AM   

kaskd

MMA Regular

kaskd Avatar

Career:1,198-660
Chips:
The problem here is Cro Cops style. Any of the new and younger quality fighters are going to Lyoto Machida the crap outta crocop (move back, initiate, slip out and repeat). We all know how in Pride one can stalk like Crocop does because of the differences between a smaller ring w/ corners and the octagon. He's way too slow now to stalk like that in an octagon. His explosiveness is not there anymore, the problem is his power is still there.

Now the reason that is a problem is because the only fighters that will ever be paired with crocop are guys that either the UFC wants to build up (JDS) or guys the UFC wants to get killed. The problem is these guys that the UFC doesn't care about and uses them as dummies to sell tickets are usually lacking in skill. Because of this lack in skill they get hit once by his power and are on their bikes running the whole time. They just don't have an answer to crocop and realize this is not going to end well.

It's his call, crocop obviously thought he was ready to retire earlier and he decided to fight again. Don't know the reasoning, but he himself thought he wasn't competition capable anymore. He wasn't retiring like Michael Jordan/Lance Armstrong at the top, then coming back. He was retiring at the bottom (by his own standards), then coming back. I don't think he's completely bottom barrel in the heavyweight division, and if Crocop can live with not being elite anymore let him fight.

Post #3   2/26/10 2:06:30AM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
He'll finish up his UFc contract.

Then retire with a few fights in Japan I think.

Post #4   2/26/10 2:19:16AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,895-1,080
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Cro Cop should retire when Cro Cop wants to retire.

Obviously, a mixture of time and mma evolving past him have put Cro Cop's best days behind him. I think it is probably unrealistic to think that he will ever contend for the title but he is still a big draw, especially overseas.

Most fans don't remember what Cro Cop meant to mma in his heyday. He was the K-1 fighter that made the jump and had success, and at the time his combination of lethal striking and takedown defense was revolutionary for the sport. Still to this day any fighter with lethal kicks is compared to Cro Cop, and I have yet to see a fighter with the power that he produced.

Fedor v. Cro Cop was one of the most anticipated matches in mma history. MMA fans were so stoked about that fight back then, all the more because quality matches (and cards in general) were so harder to come by back then.

So I think Cro Cop is one of those fighters like Randy, Chuck, Hughes, Nog, and the other greats from the last decade who deserve to go out on their own terms when they are ready to leave the sport. They may not be contenders anymore, but their careers have been the pillars on which this sport has been built and as long as they still feel the need to compete they should be given the chance.

Post #5   2/26/10 2:32:11AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

BAM. Nailed it.

I get so sick of people barking out orders for a fighter/athlete to retire. It's none of your business, my business or anyone else's business. When he wants to retire, he'll call it a day. Until then, you'll either watch his fights or you won't.*

* And this isn't directed at anyone specifically.

Post #6   2/26/10 8:58:59AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,788-1,528
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by ncordless

BAM. Nailed it.

I get so sick of people barking out orders for a fighter/athlete to retire. It's none of your business, my business or anyone else's business. When he wants to retire, he'll call it a day. Until then, you'll either watch his fights or you won't.*

* And this isn't directed at anyone specifically.

Couldnt have said it better myself!!!!!!

Post #7   2/26/10 10:19:08AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
He should've retired after the Gonzaga fight. That clearly was the beginning of the end.

Post #8   2/26/10 10:27:53AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,433-837
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The Octagon has a lot of things that favor grapplers and punish slower fighters, if CroCop was in a ring he would defeat most of the UFC lineup, the reality is the UFC is in an octagon shaped cage, and he doesn't understand or refuses to comprehend that it does make a difference. I don't think that he needs to retire, I think he needs to change his gameplan and he'll be fine.

Post #9   2/26/10 10:29:41AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

He should've retired after the Gonzaga fight. That clearly was the beginning of the end.

I couldn't disagree more. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go out like that. I'd want to go out on my own terms, when I *know* I'm ready to hang 'em up.

It's been said a million times in MMA, but he got caught in that fight...it happens to most every fighter.

Post #10   2/26/10 10:38:20AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Well I actually was impressed with Cro Cop mentally in his last fight. He was stalking him down and looking for the kill. In his interview he did say he held back but you could still fight he wanted that fight over with as quickly as possible, he was chasing him down, I mean when's the last time we've seen Cro Cop hunt somebody down like that. He looks like he really wants this. I can see him making a comeback, a loss to Dos Santos is no shame especially since Junior is the better boxer and he just out-boxed him.

I think he KO's Rothwell. If he can't do this then I think it's pretty clear he's done atleast being a title contender, then he should probably go to Japan and retire when he wants so people aren't making names off him in the UFC.

Post #11   2/26/10 11:48:39AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
No he's not a contender anymore, many of the former greats are heading out. The thing is, he enjoy's fighting, he's not embarassing himself and he is making the UFC money. Why retire?

Post #12   2/26/10 4:31:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Obviously, a mixture of time and mma evolving past him have put Cro Cop's best days behind him. I think it is probably unrealistic to think that he will ever contend for the title but he is still a big draw, especially overseas.

Most fans don't remember what Cro Cop meant to mma in his heyday. He was the K-1 fighter that made the jump and had success, and at the time his combination of lethal striking and takedown defense was revolutionary for the sport. Still to this day any fighter with lethal kicks is compared to Cro Cop, and I have yet to see a fighter with the power that he produced.

Fedor v. Cro Cop was one of the most anticipated matches in mma history. MMA fans were so stoked about that fight back then, all the more because quality matches (and cards in general) were so harder to come by back then.

So I think Cro Cop is one of those fighters like Randy, Chuck, Hughes, Nog, and the other greats from the last decade who deserve to go out on their own terms when they are ready to leave the sport. They may not be contenders anymore, but their careers have been the pillars on which this sport has been built and as long as they still feel the need to compete they should be given the chance.

I agree 100%. They may not be who they used to be but its up to them if they want to keep competing and adding L's to their records. Athletes do it in every sport.

Post #13   3/1/10 5:14:24PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
I still enjoy watching Mirko fight. He should stay a gatekeeper in the divison.

Post #14   3/1/10 5:23:56PM