Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Have a Difference in Opinion with Mir? Feel Free to Punch Him in the Face!

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
Never one to hold back on his opinion, Frank Mir has proven that getting in your opponent’s head can benefit you when it comes time to fight.

Before his UFC 107 match-up against Cheick Kongo, he quipped about the Frenchman’s lack of ground skills, and a few other barbs, which led to Kongo’s anger heading into the fight in Memphis last December.

Mir reversed the situation on Kongo, dropping him with a big punch early and then putting him away with a guillotine choke on the ground. The former UFC champion admits that maybe it got into Kongo’s head, but in reality he was just answering a question honestly and it shocked some people.

“Honestly it just kind of worked out that way. With Kongo I was being matter of fact about things,” said Mir in an exclusive interview with MMAWeekly Radio. “I said his ground skills aren’t that great, guys, and because the cameras are on, instead of just being like they aren’t that great, they’re not very good, really is it that far fetched to say that they’re probably the worst in the UFC?

“I don’t understand this whole mentality just because it’s true doesn’t mean you have to say it. I’m like, why not? I guess if I said it about someone’s wife or their kids, that’s kind of awful, but I’m saying it about another man who gets to lock himself in a cage with me and if he didn’t like what I said, he gets to punch me in the face and try to fix it.”

Putting the recent controversy about Brock Lesnar behind him, Mir is now 100-percent focused on Shane Carwin and their upcoming interim title fight on March 27 in Newark, N.J. With the fight just a month away is it too soon for Mir to pick at Carwin’s weaknesses?

“In the Shane Carwin fight, honestly it’s not that I’m down playing anything or not trying to get into his head. I’m looking for different angles and honestly to my disadvantage, he doesn’t have a lot of fight time on footage. He stays pretty reserved, and in a lot of ways he’s a likeable guy. He’s a tough competitor. He keeps himself kind of on the straight path. There’s really nothing bad for me to say about him,” Mir commented.

Being honest has put Mir in the crosshairs of the media that scrutinize his words. He says that ultimately he’s just telling it like it is, but he won’t be a guy that will just make up something to stir up controversy.

“At this point, I don’t want to be that fighter that just makes stuff up just to say something cause then it loses a lot of it’s legitimacy,” said Mir. “It’s like you just completely pulled that out of left field. I don’t mind exaggerating something, adding a little color to it to make it enticing for television or radio, but if I constantly just go ‘well Shane Carwin, he has no punching power.’ Well bro, that has no truth whatsoever or what are you talking about Frank?”

The former UFC heavyweight champion will continue his camp in Las Vegas before breaking for two days to head out to Columbus, Ohio, to fulfill his commentary duties with the WEC next weekend. He will then get back to training for the interim title fight.

Link

Last edited 2/25/10 1:07PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/25/10 10:10:52AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
more Mir mindgames, he has been quoted multiple times saying carwin is lesnar 2.0 wrestling with punching power, now that he is fighting him he is getting into hate mode and trying to pschye himself up and carwin out, to each his own, how many times have you called the opposing team a bunch of drunk doechbags, it is not a personal attacks even thought a few of them may have drinking problems, if PCness enters the octogon I will go crazy, even getting on Mir for saying the death thing can be explained away. THEY ARE FIGHTERS AND COMPETITIORS AND LASTLY MEN. stop sniveling and go watch Braveheart or Gladiator and come back to the discussion boards with your estrogen in check

Post #2   2/25/10 10:24:22AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

This title is misleading.

Post #3   2/25/10 10:32:10AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

This title is misleading.

Agreed.

“At this point, I don’t want to be that fighter that just makes stuff up just to say something cause then it loses a lot of it’s legitimacy,” said Mir. “It’s like you just completely pulled that out of left field. I don’t mind exaggerating something, adding a little color to it to make it enticing for television or radio, but if I constantly just go ‘well Shane Carwin, he has no punching power.’ Well bro, that has no truth whatsoever or what are you talking about Frank?”

Post #4   2/25/10 10:58:06AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
I was going to rip frank a new one, but here's what he said

"“At this point, I don’t want to be that fighter that just makes stuff up just to say something cause then it loses a lot of it’s legitimacy,” said Mir. “It’s like you just completely pulled that out of left field. I don’t mind exaggerating something, adding a little color to it to make it enticing for television or radio, but if I constantly just go ‘well Shane Carwin, he has no punching power.’ Well bro, that has no truth whatsoever or what are you talking about Frank?”"

So yeah, that title is VERY misleading

Post #5   2/25/10 10:58:55AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:
Not only is it misleading...it's intentionally misleading.

Post #6   2/25/10 11:57:30AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Not only is it intenionally misleadiing...it's purposefully deceptive.

Post #7   2/25/10 12:09:38PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by grappler0000

Not only is it intenionally misleadiing...it's purposefully deceptive.

Not only is it purosefully deceptive... it's taken out of context

Post #8   2/25/10 12:18:23PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
So we all agree then. The title sucks.

Mir actually had only positive things to say about Carwin.

Post #9   2/25/10 12:28:30PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:
They changed the title, so I am going to change it on here. Please filter the news topics you post so misleading garbage like that doesn't pop up.

Post #10   2/25/10 1:08:39PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

They changed the title, so I am going to change it on here. Please filter the news topics you post so misleading garbage like that doesn't pop up.

this title is also misleading

Last edited 2/25/10 2:45PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   2/25/10 1:42:48PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
mir the master of the mind games

Post #12   2/25/10 1:54:41PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by McBee

more Mir mindgames, he has been quoted multiple times saying carwin is lesnar 2.0 wrestling with punching power, now that he is fighting him he is getting into hate mode and trying to pschye himself up and carwin out, to each his own, how many times have you called the opposing team a bunch of drunk doechbags, it is not a personal attacks even thought a few of them may have drinking problems, if PCness enters the octogon I will go crazy, even getting on Mir for saying the death thing can be explained away. THEY ARE FIGHTERS AND COMPETITIORS AND LASTLY MEN. stop sniveling and go watch Braveheart or Gladiator and come back to the discussion boards with your estrogen in check

Post #13   2/25/10 2:08:13PM   

KingCreep

MMA Regular

KingCreep Avatar

Career:418-327
Chips:
as everybody else said, it's misleading, he's really not a bad guy, sure he has an ego but who doesn't? get over it kids, people are going to have opinions, everyone here seems to be exercising that right about frank and they aren't even credible.

Post #14   2/25/10 2:10:01PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,509-1,360
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Totally misleading title about Carwin not having punching power, I read this interview the other night.

Post #15   2/25/10 2:10:03PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2