Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rampage Jackson Doesn't Love MMA

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will return to the Octagon after more than a year away from mixed martial arts when he takes on Rashad Evans in May at UFC 114. But just because he's coming back doesn't mean he has a passion for his sport. In an interview with Fighters Only, Jackson said that he likes acting better than MMA, and he looks forward to leaving the UFC once he fulfills his contractual obligations.

"I don't know how much I ever loved the fight game, to be honest," Jackson said. "Most fighters these days join fighting because they became a fan of it. When I started I wasn't a fan of it -- I've been a fighter my whole life. I just thought it was a blessing that God could give me something I could make money doing. When I was a kid I got tired of fighting. I didn't want to be a fighter anymore. But I was just good at it. It was just something that was in my blood. Some people are fighters."

Jackson, who delayed his fight with Evans by six months so he could film The A-Team, said that the UFC's refusal to embrace his acting aspirations took away some of his enjoyment of being involved in the company.

"I like it a lot less than I used to," Jackson said. "It's no secret, everybody knows about the falling out I had with the UFC, and it's just unfortunate that they're trying to blame me for doing this movie."

Although the UFC steadfastly supported Jackson in 2008, when he was arrested on felony reckless driving charges, he said he doesn't believe the UFC has treated him particularly well. For example, he said he wanted to fight UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida and that UFC President Dana White first told him he could, then told him he couldn't.

"They've said some things and done some things I don't agree with -- that's not the way I do business," Jackson said. "I'm a loyal person so I take care of people who take care of me, but people who don't take care of me, I don't take care of them. So I'm done with the UFC. They can't ask me for anymore favors. Nothing. I just want to finish my contract and get out of there, do my own thing. Dana lied to me. He told me I didn't have to fight Rashad, I could fight Machida. I did the show and then after that he told me I had to fight Rashad."

Jackson is a great fighter, and MMA fans love watching him fight. But hearing him talk about how he doesn't love the sport and doesn't like the UFC, it's hard not to think his fighting days are numbered.

Link

Post #1   2/25/10 10:00:08AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Dana lied to me. He told me I didn't have to fight Rashad, I could fight Machida. I did the show and then after that he told me I had to fight Rashad."

I remember it this way He was supposed to fight Rashad but somehow ended up with Jardine then Machida beat Rashad and Page wanted to fight Rashad plus saw the $$$$ of being a coach on the show.....Am I wrong? I could be.

as for not loving it I understand what he is saying he is the classic fighter from the streets that turned it into a job not a passion.

Post #2   2/25/10 11:14:28AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I would've much preferred him to fight Machida too. It would be a free easy knockout for my favorite fighter. Damn you Shogun!!!

Post #3   2/25/10 11:35:01AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
I'm sure his acting career will flourish just like Tito's did.

Post #4   2/25/10 11:50:30AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Rampage will be in a better mood someday. He's got Rashad to fight, If he wins he'll probably fight for the title, if he loses he'll fight the loser of Machida/Shogun 2. He's going to make half a million this year, and we'll have smiling happy Rampage again.

Post #5   2/25/10 12:11:33PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He's never been strong mentally and seems to have a lot of personal issues. That's probably what has led to his inconsistency over the years. If he was as strong mentally as he is good physically he might have been one of the great champions in the sport. All of these different factors are making this fight very hard to pick.

Post #6   2/25/10 12:30:36PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Rampage will be in a better mood someday. He's got Rashad to fight, If he wins he'll probably fight for the title, if he loses he'll fight the loser of Machida/Shogun 2. He's going to make half a million this year, and we'll have smiling happy Rampage again.

as much as i'd like to see rampage fight machida there is no logical reason the UFC would give him a title fight.

Post #7   2/25/10 12:53:21PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
this is no surprise to me, Rampage has stated before he fights for the money and thats fine...but when it comes down to it when hes in the octagon he fights to 100% of his ability and dosent quit. He definetly has the attitude that hes all about the money but the fighter in him dosent quit and gives it all he has when hes in a fight.

Post #8   2/25/10 2:46:42PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I just dropped Rampage 2 spots on my LHW top 10. 1 for smoking cigs, and 1 for losing his heart.

Post #9   2/25/10 3:47:44PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

this is no surprise to me, Rampage has stated before he fights for the money and thats fine...but when it comes down to it when hes in the octagon he fights to 100% of his ability and dosent quit. He definetly has the attitude that hes all about the money but the fighter in him dosent quit and gives it all he has when hes in a fight.

It's really no suprise to me either.
I love Rampage but from the beginning he has always said he's in it for the money. When something that offered more money came along I'm not at all suprised he jumped on the opprotunity.
That's not saying i'm okay with how he bailed out on the Rashad fight.
I think he should have at least mannned up on it,but Rampage and Dana seem to be suffering from mis-communication which is also being distorted with Quintons own personal wishes.
Hope it all works out for the best.

Post #10   2/25/10 4:19:09PM   

vinny_cro_cop_q

MMA Regular

vinny_cro_cop_q Avatar

Career:181-138
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I just dropped Rampage 2 spots on my LHW top 10. 1 for smoking cigs, and 1 for losing his heart.

yeah I agree with this. I've always been a fan of Rampage but with all the recent information, hes starting to get on my nerves big time.

Post #11   2/25/10 5:05:12PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Rashad might win this because of Rampages attitude.

Post #12   2/25/10 5:10:08PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by postman

Dana lied to me. He told me I didn't have to fight Rashad, I could fight Machida. I did the show and then after that he told me I had to fight Rashad."

I remember it this way He was supposed to fight Rashad but somehow ended up with Jardine then Machida beat Rashad and Page wanted to fight Rashad plus saw the $$$$ of being a coach on the show.....Am I wrong? I could be.

as for not loving it I understand what he is saying he is the classic fighter from the streets that turned it into a job not a passion.

This is right, Rampage basically had the opportunity to fight Machida, but he said that fighting Rashad was personal, and that he wanted to fight him first. As I recall Rampage rarely ever talked about fighting Machida.

Post #13   2/25/10 5:46:26PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by sbulldavid

as much as i'd like to see rampage fight machida there is no logical reason the UFC would give him a title fight.

If Rampage beats Evans, I see plenty of reasons for giving him the title shot.
- His last lost was the Forrest Dec., which is one of the closest fights I have ever seen, Lost the title
- 2-0 since then, win over Evans would make it 3-0. All wins over Solid/Contender fighters
-Long layoff would be only reason not to give him a shot

Plus, reasons why the UFC would make it happen...
-Rampage is one of the most well known fighters in the UFC, was TUF coach
-Rampage/Shogun 2 is very, very, Marketable
- A-Team will be a Major Movie Release (regardless of whether it sucks or not) and to have one of the movie stars fighting for a title would draw MASSIVE amounts of media attention (If they timed the fight around the release date)

When have you ever seen the UFC make a decision based on Logic??? Money is there motivation.

Post #14   2/25/10 6:11:03PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:

Posted by CwB

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by sbulldavid

If Rampage beats Evans, I see plenty of reasons for giving him the title shot.
- His last lost was the Forrest Dec., which is one of the closest fights I have ever seen, Lost the title
- 2-0 since then, win over Evans would make it 3-0. All wins over Solid/Contender fighters
-Long layoff would be only reason not to give him a shot

Plus, reasons why the UFC would make it happen...
-Rampage is one of the most well known fighters in the UFC, was TUF coach
-Rampage/Shogun 2 is very, very, Marketable
- A-Team will be a Major Movie Release (regardless of whether it sucks or not) and to have one of the movie stars fighting for a title would draw MASSIVE amounts of media attention (If they timed the fight around the release date)

When have you ever seen the UFC make a decision based on Logic??? Money is there motivation.

not going to argue about them having plenty of reasons to give him a title shot if he beats rashad but wand and jardine were contenders???

Post #15   2/25/10 11:22:33PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2