Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frankie Edgar's UFC 112 prediction? Plenty of sweat...

Print  
Posted By Message

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,316-1,241
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"His flexibility, balance, all that stuff, he's going to be a tough nut to crack. I'm going to have my hands full for sure. I definitely watch video. I don't get too caught up in it though because I feel like that's almost psyching yourself out. I'd rather have my team, my coaches look at it, tell me what they think and I will sit down and watch it with them, but I'm not a big video guy...

more

Post #1   2/25/10 1:47:35AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I predict that BJ will lick blood off of his gloves.

Post #2   2/25/10 6:44:38AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
No one can beat BJ Penn at 155...period

If BJ never fought at heavier weights except against matt hughes the first time, he would be considered the best pound for pound champ ever.
which is why GSP hasnt gone to mw yet. If you lose (even vs. a champ at a higher weight, you lose your prestige as well)

Consider BJ has finished every title fight he has been in at lw.(even the spider silva did not finish every title fight, examples Leites, Cote. I think BJ PENN toys with his prey to beat on them longer, when he could finish them 1st round (example GOMI)

If EDGARS BJJ was good as Aioki, he could pull guard perhaps, but his bjj is good not great.

If Edgar could take down guys as easy as GSP, do that, but although he has great wrestling, bj has better takedown defense.

Edgar should box BJ, stick and move. Work those leg kicks and body punches, than try to ud or sd BJ by making it through the fight on the outside. Maybe if he kicks bj's legs 100 times, by round 5 he could complete a takedown.

Post #3   2/25/10 9:10:03AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,316-1,241
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I have a feeling Edgar is going to give BJ his toughest fight in a long time. I'm not sure he has the tools to beat BJ, but he has the tools to be competitive.

Post #4   2/25/10 9:13:23AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,358-789
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I as well, am expecting a very good stand-up war, Edgar will fight more than Diego did, but BJ is going to out muscle Edgar when he get's tired of playing around. BJ by GNP, round 3.

Post #5   2/25/10 12:04:05PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I just like watching BJ fight.
When he's all there he is the best, most complete & well rounded fighter that i've ever seen.

Post #6   2/25/10 3:05:31PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Frankie's speed, foot work, and crisp boxing will help him a lot. He's one of the few guys BJ has fought that might be able to match him in the hands department. I don't see edgar getting any takedowns, BJ is too good at avoiding them. But it is a possibility.

In the end I'll be picking BJ but Edgar has as good of a shot as anyone BJ has fought so far.

Post #7   2/26/10 4:13:36PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Edgar chances in this fight are very slim. I think Edgar is really better suited for 145 and BJ isn't a small 155er. I really cant see one place where Edgar can win this fight.

Post #8   2/26/10 4:53:44PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Edgar chances in this fight are very slim. I think Edgar is really better suited for 145 and BJ isn't a small 155er. I really cant see one place where Edgar can win this fight.

I think that problem extends to most of the lightweights. BJ Penn betters every lightweight, especially in the UFC, standing, in the clinch, and on the ground.

I think Kenny Florian may have found the key to defeating Penn, even if he just was not good enough to be able to succeed with it.

Post #9   2/26/10 10:14:39PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by telnights

I think that problem extends to most of the lightweights.

I don't think most LWs are better suited for 145. But with Edgar's size its like Faber fighting BJ. There is just a big size disadvantage and the only way we truly know that a fighter can beat BJ is to outwork and over power him.

Post #10   2/27/10 12:02:44PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by lohmann

Posted by telnights

I think that problem extends to most of the lightweights.

I don't think most LWs are better suited for 145. But with Edgar's size its like Faber fighting BJ. There is just a big size disadvantage and the only way we truly know that a fighter can beat BJ is to outwork and over power him.

i believe the problem he was referring to is how BJ makes it so none of the other LWs have a place to win the fight.

Post #11   2/27/10 2:25:04PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Chips:
I honestly think that although GSP's method has been a proven theory to beat BJ, No one is going to have GSP's skillset, and that him losing to somebody else in that similar method is not going to happen.

From a technical perspective I think Frankie has one of the best shots to beat BJ at 155.

He can stop Bj's takedowns, and utilize his speed, something that being a smaller 155 gives him, to compliment his reach and possibly have an effective striking game set up for BJ.

Post #12   2/27/10 3:17:23PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
fighting + bj = death

Post #13   3/1/10 1:02:38AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I honestly think that although GSP's method has been a proven theory to beat BJ, No one is going to have GSP's skillset, and that him losing to somebody else in that similar method is not going to happen.

From a technical perspective I think Frankie has one of the best shots to beat BJ at 155.

He can stop Bj's takedowns, and utilize his speed, something that being a smaller 155 gives him, to compliment his reach and possibly have an effective striking game set up for BJ.

While I don't disagree, I wonder at how relevant that particular piece of analysis will be. I think the more important question is whether or not Edgar can succeed at taking Penn down in the same way St. Pierre did. (The answer, I think, is no.)

The reason Penn's striking, at lightweight, seems so impressive to me is because he has serious power behind those short and preposterously quick jabs he throws. While Edgar may be amongst the more technically sound strikers Penn has ever faced, I think Penn will beat him to the punch a sound majority of the time and forces Edgar to resort to frustrated takedown attempts.

Last edited 3/1/10 4:29AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #14   3/1/10 4:28:58AM